PDA

View Full Version : sat dish mount/mast

lost_one
06-07-21, 23:25
I'm installing a new Gibertini 85cm SE dish using a wall mount on the side of the house.

In my situation, I need a minimum 50cm distance from the wall via an L style wall mount.

Is it better to use a steel or aluminum mast/pole?

Would an aluminum L style wall mount be strong enough for an 85cm dish?

I've read conflicting opinions on the net about this, some people say aluminum wall mounts can flex...is this BS?

Thanks.

ronand
06-07-21, 23:31
An aluminium L-type wall mount WILL flex with an 85cm dish once a few strong gusts of wind hit it. Use T & K brackets with a piece of pole if you want to do it right. If you ever want to upgrade to a motor it will take the load easily.

lost_one
07-07-21, 00:12
Thanks for the info ronand.

I live in Germany, and the T & K brackets are not easy to get a hold of here.

Do you think a steel L bracket would flex also?

Thanks

twol
07-07-21, 05:36
Thanks for the info ronand.

I live in Germany, and the T & K brackets are not easy to get a hold of here.

Do you think a steel L bracket would flex also?

Thanks

Not sure where you are in Germany, but certainly here in Bavaria ( where sat dishes are on every house/apartment) there are numerous Sat shops that can give advise and many online selling sat equipment…..especially for attaching the dishes…..google and you will find them

lost_one
07-07-21, 23:18
Thanks for the info twol

I'm in Saarland, there are not many sat shops here, and the ones that I've been to don't really want to give advice unless they are doing the installation; maybe this is different in Bavaria.

I'm bumping this thread/request...would a steel L type wall mount with an 85cm dish flex in the weather?

thanks

ronand
08-07-21, 09:12
Steel should be fine.

linsladeboy
08-07-21, 09:12
Hi there, you didn't confirm if you are installing motorised system? if so then definitely T&K brackets.
If fixed system,I personally don't know why aluminium wall mount would be an issue unless your house is in a very high or unsheltered area.

lost_one
10-07-21, 14:36
Thanks for the info.

It's not a motorised system.

I ordered this L-type wall mount : https://www.amazon.de/PremiumX-Wandhalter-Aluminium-Wandhalterung-Wandabstand/dp/B076D8Q6YJ?th=1 and it feels VERY light, I'm just not sure about mounting an 85CM dish on it. I need a minimum of 55cm horizontal to align the dish (cannot mount on south-facing wall), and it just seems like lot of weight on the arm of the wall mount.

I might be over thinking it, just seeking opinions about steel vs aluminum L-type wall mounts.

The house is not in a high wind or unsheltered area, dish going on the 1st floor wall.

Thanks

twol
10-07-21, 14:57
Thanks for the info.

It's not a motorised system.

I ordered this L-type wall mount : https://www.amazon.de/PremiumX-Wandhalter-Aluminium-Wandhalterung-Wandabstand/dp/B076D8Q6YJ?th=1 and it feels VERY light, I'm just not sure about mounting an 85CM dish on it. I need a minimum of 55cm horizontal to align the dish (cannot mount on south-facing wall), and it just seems like lot of weight on the arm of the wall mount.

I might be over thinking it, just seeking opinions about steel vs aluminum L-type wall mounts.

The house is not in a high wind or unsheltered area, dish going on the 1st floor wall.

Thanks
This my 90cm dish —- and this is hit by high winds without issue - even copes with the Kiwi tree.
I just have a longer up arm.

lost_one
10-07-21, 21:34
Thanks twol

It looks like your wall mount is steel, is this true?

My Gibertini SE 85cm dish itself is light, but the feedarm and rear/mast mount seem pretty heavy to me.

The Aluminum L mount that I bought as linked above doesn't have any reinforcing welds at the bottom, or corners like most of the steel mounts do.

I'm not sure if those welds provide additional stability or not?

Thanks.

twol
10-07-21, 22:01
Its steel… but nothing special

lost_one
19-07-21, 21:10
Thanks for your help.

I returned the aluminum mount and got a steel one with re-enforcing welds on the bottom and both sides.

I'm still waiting on my Gibertini dish, the first two were damaged during shipping.

Thanks again for your help