PDA

View Full Version : File name transfer problem

Foxglove
01-07-21, 16:38
Having had a number of satellite receivers, recording programmes and transferring to a pc is one of my pastimes. I was surprised by the file name corruption. Possibly something to do with transferring from FAT32 to NTFS. Is it possible to avoid this ?

adm
01-07-21, 17:09
Having had a number of satellite receivers, recording programmes and transferring to a pc is one of my pastimes. I was surprised by the file name corruption. Possibly something to do with transferring from FAT32 to NTFS. Is it possible to avoid this ?

Can you give examples of file name corruption - name of file on the box and name of file on your PC.
Possibly something to do with linux on your box and windows on your PC? There are certain characters not allowed in filename in windows.

Foxglove
01-07-21, 17:48
You have just illuminated the obvious. Looking at the original filenames and the copied filenames, I find that name corruption is always on accents. A workaround would be to replace all accented vowels by a mere letter. Not exactly French, but will have to do. As I copy files individually I will have to edit programme title. Yes, there is incompatibility, but I don't think a more obvious solution.

Trial
02-07-21, 07:49
Hi,
I think most Linux boxes are using UTF-8 for almost anything. While transfer the converter might make mistakes. In a FTP client are the names correct? Which program do you use for transfer?

Ralf

Foxglove
02-07-21, 19:23
This may be getting above me, but I record onto a FAT32 2.5" portable disk carry it over to my Windows 10 pc and copy to one of my hard drives. A programme on lake Léman gets distorted to Léman, the opera Aïda comes out as Aïda, un bâtiment as bâtiment. Also happens on my Zgemma. Vowel accents, and possibly some letter combinations, fail in the transfer.

ronand
02-07-21, 20:07
A linux receiver is designed to record to a linux file system. On EXT4 it records accents properly and these files transfer via FTP to a windows 10 machine and retain the accented characters properly. I just tested on France 3

Foxglove
03-07-21, 18:52
Quite a range of equipment !
I have a Zgemma H9 Twin which I have just converted from ext3 to ext4 using the menu screen instructions. Will become my spare receiver. My Vuplus seems to have no 'convert ext3 to ext4' instruction. I have just saved the HDD contents to external memory before trying out initializing, but there was no mention of ext4. Looking through google there may be a way of achieving ext4 using the image (?). I use a TNT card in a French receiver, can it be used in a Vuplus Duo ? Perhaps i need to start several more threads......

BrokenUnusableAccount
03-07-21, 23:47
It might mean the Linux kernel used in the H9 Twin doesn't understand ext4.

twol
04-07-21, 07:59
Quite a range of equipment !
I have a Zgemma H9 Twin which I have just converted from ext3 to ext4 using the menu screen instructions. Will become my spare receiver. My Vuplus seems to have no 'convert ext3 to ext4' instruction. I have just saved the HDD contents to external memory before trying out initializing, but there was no mention of ext4. Looking through google there may be a way of achieving ext4 using the image (?). I use a TNT card in a French receiver, can it be used in a Vuplus Duo ? Perhaps i need to start several more threads......

which menu option did you use??.
If you initialse the disk, the code checks for ext4 availability on the receiver and will use that if available.

Foxglove
04-07-21, 20:54
I have initialised both the VuPlus HDD and USB drives to ext4. The latter is now connected to my pc's USB system. Using DiskInternals I can copy files to my pc NTFS drive. Hopefully this is a rugged solution, even the foreign accents are copied.