PDA

View Full Version : Satellite Receiver box advice - First Timer

rohantn
21-06-21, 10:17
Complete newbie here, both to TVs and Satellite TV reception.
I'm getting a TV for the first time, after several years without a TV.

Our house has 2 Sky TV dishes, one at the side of the house with 2 LNB cables and another on the roof, with 1 cable running from it.
Both dishes seem to be pointed in the same direction. These cam with the house, when we bought it, 5 years ago.

Requirements:-
1) I would like to receive all Free To Air channels on Astra 28.2°
2) I would like to be able to receive IPTV channels that do not require a subscription
3) I would like to watch OTT sources like BBC Iplayer, Netflix, Youtube etc.
4) Have a device that has wi-fi capabilities
5) Have a device that can handle 4 K
6) Not have non FTA channels on EPG

Options considered:-
1) Buy a used Sky + HD box

Pros:-
Will work out of the box

Cons:-
Will display all paid channels in EPG as well. Painful to navigate and understand what is not FTA
Will not handle IPTV channels

2) Buy a Freesat box

Will work out of the box

Will not display channels not of Freesat EPG. Need to manually search and add.
Will not handle IPTV channels

3) Buy a Linux Enigma2 / Android receiver with OpenVix
Should be able to meet all requirements
Set up and programming could be complicated

I am veering towards the option of getting an Enigma 2 receiver.
With this option, please can you help me choose the right receiver?
Would Zgemma H9S SE be a good choice?
I don't think I would be interested in recording programs.

Questions:-
1) I have seen some posts about how to replicate Sky EPG in a Linux receiver.
But if I follow those steps, will even the paid non FTA channels appear in the EPG?

2) Is there a way to build an EPG, that will scan and include all the FTA channels on Astra 28.2°, even those potentially not on sky EPG?

3) Will the IPTV channels need to be on a separate EPG? How do I build one for IPTV channels?

4) What about OTT channels like BBC iplayer, netflix, youtube etc? Can I build a separate EPG for them how do I build one?

If the answers to Questions 2, 3 and 4 above have been covered in separate posts, please can you put a link to the appropriate posts?
Thanks in advance.

linsladeboy
21-06-21, 14:35
Hi there,
Probably best if you familiarise yourself with some basic satellite knowledge, it will answer most of your questions above.
For example "both dishes seem to be facing same direction" comment.
Also, pretty sure that some of the comments regarding sky subscriptions is not allowed on this forum.

rohantn
21-06-21, 17:15
Hi,

I have been trying to update myself with basic satellite knowledge over the last couple of days.
But I started from a point where I did not have much T.V. knowledge (Terrestrial vs Satellite or anything else for that matter), let alone Satellite knowledge.

Is there any consolidated reading material you can recommend, rather than having to trawl multiple websites?
One aspect regarding which I can find no information is regarding building an EPG for OTT (non IPTV) content such as netflix, bbc iplayer, etc.

The other bit which I cannot find any information is whether encrypted channels also appear on the EPG by default, and if so, how to remove them...

JonMMM
21-06-21, 21:26
OK some simple things with Enigma 2

No BBC IPlayer, Netflix etc.

Not sure what you mean by non subbed IPTV, but doubt it (subbed is fine).

But whit it does very well is Satellite reception, use Auto Boutique Maker and select Freesat and Sky under Sky select FTA only, and you will get all Free channels and no subbed channels.

For BBC IPlayer etc get a firestick

rohantn
21-06-21, 23:12
Thank You! That was very helpful!

By non subscribed IPTV, I mean IPTV providers that are free and don't require a subscription, such as:- Modbro, Fluxus IPTV, etc.
As opposed to paid IPTV channels like BT Sports, etc.

Are Enigma 2 devices able to include in the EPG, free IPTV sources such as:- Modbro, Fluxus IPTV, etc.?

JonMMM
22-06-21, 07:07
Thank You! That was very helpful!

By non subscribed IPTV, I mean IPTV providers that are free and don't require a subscription, such as:- Modbro, Fluxus IPTV, etc.
As opposed to paid IPTV channels like BT Sports, etc.

Are Enigma 2 devices able to include in the EPG, free IPTV sources such as:- Modbro, Fluxus IPTV, etc.?

No those are android aps, Enigma 2 is not and android box

urie
22-06-21, 21:12
No those are android aps, Enigma 2 is not and android box

He was asking about Zgemma H9S SE it is dual boot enigma2 and android. It has 16GB NAND flash and 1GB DDR3 Ram, so he can install android apps but they may be slow and also full of adverts. Still better getting iptv and none are free :)

JonMMM
22-06-21, 21:42
He was asking about Zgemma H9S SE it is dual boot enigma2 and android. It has 16GB NAND flash and 1GB DDR3 Ram, so he can install android apps but they may be slow and also full of adverts. Still better getting iptv and none are free :)

but can you run E2 and android at the same time? If not you would be better off with 2 devices

twol
22-06-21, 21:55
but can you run E2 and android at the same time? If not you would be better off with 2 devices

No you cannot - you boot android or an E2 image.
Having said that its a neat small box.

TimPilot
23-06-21, 00:16
Can anyone please help me point in the right direction?

I recently bought a Zgemma H9 Twin and I absolutely loved it, but there is one thing I could not work out is:

How do I access my Zgemma from anywhere like from my office using my mobile phone? The reason I asked is because, sometimes, if I come across something or heard someone saying, "There's a good programme tonight at 8pm on BBC1", and I went "Oh no, I should have recorded it", but picking my mobile up, access my ZGemma and select a programme and press add timer. Done!

That's what I would like. How do I get around to this? Do I set up a VPN? How?

Your help is much appreciated.

Thank you.

Joe_90
23-06-21, 00:20
Tim - please open a new, separate thread for your question. You will get better answers if you open a specific thread with an appropriate title.

TimPilot
23-06-21, 00:25
Sorry, apologies, Joe_90. I'm new to this forum, and I saw "First Timer" which seemed to be the right place. Obviously, I'm wrong. Sorry.

Joe_90
23-06-21, 00:29
No problem. The original poster is looking for general receiver advice help. You have specific requirements for remote access. You are in the right ballpark as regards needing VPN for secure access to your home machine;)