PDA

View Full Version : Relacement LNB Advice please

cliver1956
30-05-21, 08:14
My current quad LNB and VU+Duo4K SE have been fried by a ligtenung strike :(, I'm hoping the cables are OK but not tested yet.
I have a new VU+ on order and looking for what LNB to get. I may as well go Unicable II while I'm at it so...
I have three feeds from the dish to the STB. The STB will have 2 full band tuners plus our TV (which also blew in the storm) has a DVB-S Tuner.
So should I go for a Unicable II with a couple of legacy feed for the other cables? or just split the single off indoors?
Advice on best brands and sources would be great as well.
TIA Clive

Huevos
30-05-21, 08:35
If you have the sat box why do you want to use the dvb-s tuner built into the television set?

Unicable II but don't forget that will have a standard 40mm collar so will need a special holder if you are using a Sky dish.

cliver1956
30-05-21, 08:40
If you have the sat box why do you want to use the dvb-s tuner built into the television set?

Unicable II but don't forget that will have a standard 40mm collar so will need a special holder if you are using a Sky dish.

It's not a sky dish so standard 40mm collar. My thoughts are it just gives flexibility with the TV tuner in service as well.

Huevos
30-05-21, 17:05
It's not a sky dish so standard 40mm collar. My thoughts are it just gives flexibility with the TV tuner in service as well.Up to you. A box with FBC tuners is already pretty flexible.

Trial
31-05-21, 07:34
Hi,
if something must be done, like in your case, UniCable would also be my favorite. I modernized my system 2-3 years ago and also chose UniCable because I have an old house with only 1 cable in 6 rooms. Now I have 4 frequencies in each room instead of 1.

Ralf

cliver1956
31-05-21, 10:27
Hi,
if something must be done, like in your case, UniCable would also be my favorite. I modernized my system 2-3 years ago and also chose UniCable because I have an old house with only 1 cable in 6 rooms. Now I have 4 frequencies in each room instead of 1.

Ralf

Thanks for that, What make of Unicable LNB did you get? or What's the current recomended make of Unicable LNB?

Thinking I migt go for single feed and split it as nessesary indoors. I take it the Unicable LNB's will still work into a standard (Non FBC) tuner?

Trial
31-05-21, 10:59
Hi,
I thought a bit bigger. I changed to a quattro LNB and 6x4 unicable switch from Jultech.

Ralf

cliver1956
31-05-21, 11:43
OK I'm getting a bit confused as to the use of Unicable LNB's. So a final question.
If I connect one downlink cable from a Unicable LNB to one port on the VU+ Duo4K SE twin DVB-S/S2/S2X FBC Tuner will that give me the use of both inputs? i.e. can I link/loop the two inputs together in the setup so I only have one cable but full use of both tuners?
If so there is no point in connecting two downlinks to the STB is there?
If the above is all true then would I be better off splitting one feed to connect to the non FBC tuner on the TV or have a single lecy out of the LNB to connect to the TV?
In other words I want to make full use of the 2 tuners on the VU+ and have another link to the TV.
Hope that makes sense.
Just trying to get my mind around the possibilities here.

Trial
31-05-21, 11:55
Hi,
you only need to connect 1 cable to the Duo4K to make full use of unicable. No need for 2nd cable. If your TV supports unicable no need to use a separate cable. In the case of a splitter you need to watch the power supply of the LNB. If you want to make full use of the VU and you TV the LNB must have more than 8 frequencies for unicable.

Unicable also works with non FBC tuner but the tuner must support unicable. I also use my unicable switch with my old Solo2 and Duo2.

Ralf

cliver1956
31-05-21, 14:53
Hi,
you only need to connect 1 cable to the Duo4K to make full use of unicable. No need for 2nd cable. If your TV supports unicable no need to use a separate cable. In the case of a splitter you need to watch the power supply of the LNB. If you want to make full use of the VU and you TV the LNB must have more than 8 frequencies for unicable.

Unicable also works with non FBC tuner but the tuner must support unicable. I also use my unicable switch with my old Solo2 and Duo2.

Ralf

Thanks again Trial, That's clearer now. I think the TV tuner is DVB-S2. To be hinest, I won't be recording anything from it. I did try recording to an attached USB drive but it was utter rubbish. The UI was garbage and it seemed to miss some timed recordings. The Enigma box.s are so uch better at that sort of thing. So it's more important to have the unicable on the VU+ so might as well go for 1 downlink and split it to the TV if I need it. Not sure it's worth bothering with though TBH.

Huevos
31-05-21, 16:10
Still don't get why you think it is necessary to use the TV tuner. Are you just trying to confuse the rest of the family?

BrokenUnusableAccount
31-05-21, 16:20
Thanks again Trial, That's clearer now. I think the TV tuner is DVB-S2. To be hinest, I won't be recording anything from it. I did try recording to an attached USB drive but it was utter rubbish. The UI was garbage and it seemed to miss some timed recordings. The Enigma box.s are so uch better at that sort of thing. So it's more important to have the unicable on the VU+ so might as well go for 1 downlink and split it to the TV if I need it. Not sure it's worth bothering with though TBH.

If the TV doesn't support unicable you would need a separate cable from a "legacy" output on the LNB for the TV.

cliver1956
01-06-21, 10:00
Still don't get why you think it is necessary to use the TV tuner. Are you just trying to confuse the rest of the family?

Ha Ha, Yes, and it's working well :confused:

cliver1956
01-06-21, 10:04
If the TV doesn't support unicable you would need a separate cable from a "legacy" output on the LNB for the TV.

Thanks for that. OK, so I am going to go Unicable II to the VU box and forget the TV, for now at least.

So what is the best Unicable II LNB to buy and where from please?

I have seen the Inverto's on other threads but the one they sell now is programmable? Is that making things a bit too complicated? I just want a plug and play Unicable II LNB that will do the job well.

cliver1956
01-06-21, 11:44
I have found this one in the UK..
Link removed
It seems to offer the specs I need but it doesn't look like the one on the maufacturers site...
Link removed
Which I can't seem to find available anywhere.
Is one better/newer model than the other?
If the one on Inverto's web page is the better, where can I buy it?
Or is there a better alternative?
Google doesn't come up with much recent info, it all seems to be a few years old, wich in tech terms can be a lifetime.

Edit:
Forum rules (https://www.world-of-satellite.com/Forum-rules/)
5. No links are to be posted to other commercial satellite retailers other than our site sponsors.

Willo3092
01-06-21, 12:46
The one from WoS works well https://www.world-of-satellite.co.uk/gt-sat-gt-s3dcss24-unicable-lnb-3-legacy?search=unicable

cliver1956
01-06-21, 14:15
The one from WoS works well https://www.world-of-satellite.co.uk/gt-sat-gt-s3dcss24-unicable-lnb-3-legacy?search=unicable

Thanks, I have seen that one. The only downside is I don't need three legacy outputs.
I know I could just leave them blank.

cliver1956
07-06-21, 09:23
@ Huevos Sorry about the links, I got carried away.
I purchased the one from WOS in the end so all good.
It's up and running fine, I have used one of the legacy ports to the TV but I don't think it'll get used musch TBH.
One question though: I have another DVBS2X tuner wich I think still works out of the old VU box. If I install that will I need another unicable feed to it or can I set it up to feed internally?

Huevos
07-06-21, 11:03
I'm lost now.

The only DVB-S2 tuners that are compatible with the Duo 4k are FBC ones. The receiver can accept 2 of those.

Old style Vu DVB-S2 tuners are not compatible with the Duo 4k.

cliver1956
07-06-21, 11:14
I'm lost now.

The only DVB-S2 tuners that are compatible with the Duo 4k are FBC ones. The receiver can accept 2 of those.

Old style Vu DVB-S2 tuners are not compatible with the Duo 4k.

It is an FBC tuner but will I need a second fed to it?

Huevos
07-06-21, 14:38
No, you can run it with just one cable from the dish and still have the full use of it.