PDA

View Full Version : [Zgemma H7] [ZGemma H7S] Play a paused timeshift not working most of the time

Mick Seymour
24-05-21, 16:21
Recently, when I pause a live sat broadcast, pressing Play/Pause again to play it does nothing; the broadcast stays paused. The only way to get the broadcast back is to press Stop and choose to leave timeshift . It works once or twice after a reboot but then fails again. Pause/Play works perfectly on stored timer recordings.

I upgraded from OpenVIX 5.3.022 to 5.4.009 recently and I think that is when the problem started. I've since upgraded to 5.4.012.

I have attached two logs with debug turned on. PlayPauseWorkingEnigma2_debug_2021-05-22_14-30-37.log is it working correctly after a reboot. Play/Pause starts at line 789. PlayPauseNotWorkingEnigma2_debug_2021-05-23_11-02-58.log is it not working correctly. Play/Pause in this instance starts at line 5791.

Any advise would be appreciated.

Mick Seymour
27-05-21, 16:35
I spent the day testing various scenarios around the disk not spinning up fast enough and play/pause worked every time. At one point after playing a live stream timeshift I stopped the stream and answered yes to leaving timeshift and not to save as a movie, then pressed stop again and was asked the same question. I'm thinking maybe the box thought it was in timeshift already, causing play/pause to not work reliably.

All seems to be fine again.

ronand
27-05-21, 17:05
I rarely have a problem with timeshift on my H7S. About 1% of the time (ie once every few weeks) it wont resume but I can live with that as thats actually good compared to any other receiver I had used in the past. Pressing stop gets me back to live tv.
Timeshift is heavily dependent on drivers provided by the manufacturer and cant be changed by image developers. However the same drivers are in use in both the 5.3 and 5.4 images (the last update was in 2019) so that would rule that one out. If this is happening a lot then I would suspect it may be related to your hard drive rather than the image.

Mick Seymour
28-05-21, 07:23
Thanks.

The drive is new, which could be a good or bad thing. It was fitted about a week before the problem started. I've had two other drives fail (corrupted recordings or not coming on line) since the box was new 16 months ago. If the problem returns, I'll swap out the SATA cable and see what that does.

djbobw
08-06-21, 20:05
Not sure if anyone worked out what was causing this, but I have the same problem on a Zgemma H9 Twin. The drive worked fine for Timeshift in my Vu+ Solo2. Everything else works fine, just Timeshift. As you had, it stops when I press Play/Pause, but then won't start again. I don't use the feature very often, but I do use it for Formula 1 to sync up with the radio commentary.

Mick Seymour
09-06-21, 08:20
I use this feature just about every day.

I swapped the drive back to the previous one and replaced the SATA cable. Pause/play worked for a couple of days, as it always does after a reboot, but then would not resume again. I figure it can't be the drive or cable as the drive checks out fine.

What I did the last time it happened was reboot the gui rather than the whole box and resume worked again. It's been ok for 5 days now.

I don't really know what a gui reboot does but I wonder if the gui gets tired or has a memory leak of some kind.

Mick Seymour
21-09-21, 14:39
I'm resurrecting this as I have a set of steps that reproduce the problem every time.

We watch a game show every weekday evening where we pause live TV on each round to give our ageing brains time to take in the questions. At the moment we are also watching a lot of pre-recorded TV so are hit with the problem every day.

1. Reboot the GUI from the menu. This clears the problem.

2. Press Play/Pause whilst watching live TV.

3. Press Exit to clear the GUI overlay.

4. Watch the paused screen for (say) 5 seconds. I don't think the timing is relevant.

5. Press Play/Pause. The video restarts OK.

6. Press Stop and select "Yes but don't save timeshift as a movie".

Steps 2 to 6 can be repeated as many times as you like and everything works.

7. Press File to view the pre-recorded TV list.

8. Press Play/Pause on a pre-recorded video. The video starts.

9. Watch the playing video for, say, 5 seconds. Again, I don't think the timing is relevant.

10. Press Stop to stop the playing video.

11. Press Exit to return to live TV.

12. Press Play/Pause whilst watching live TV.

13. Press Exit to clear the GUI overlay.

14. Watch the paused screen for (say) 5 seconds. I don't think the timing is relevant.

15. Press Play/Pause. The video does not restart.

16. Press Stop and select "Yes but don't save timeshift as a movie".

The only way to get the live TV Play/Pause feature working again is to reboot the GUI, or the whole box.

I'm running the latest firmware, 5.4.014. I was going to go back to 5.3.022 which I had no problems with when I hit on this sequence.

How do I get this looked at by the devs?

Trial
21-09-21, 14:50
Hi,
did you try to press OK instead of play/pause when you paused something?

Ralf

ccs
21-09-21, 14:53
I'd record the programme rather than use timeshift, works fine for me.

adm
21-09-21, 15:07
Hi,

Ralf
The problem (or similar) has been reported at least twice before (V5.4.004 onwards) where after watching something recorded and then returning to the previous live TV channel being watched prior to watching the recording pausing will lock up the box, with regards getting a moving picture back.. The dirty solution is after returning to live TV change channels at least once before activating timeshift.

Currently (V5.4..014)there may be another problem with timeshift but I've only experienced the problem twice and not done any systematic testing or observations. When timeshift spans a program boundary the > key (the one below the 9 key on my remote) is not skipping to the start of program marker but returning to live TV. The timeshift buffer isn’t lost and I can return to it by pausing and then jumping back to the start of program marker. I have configured my disk to be always spinning and timeshift to start 10 seconds after changing channels.

BrokenUnusableAccount
21-09-21, 16:56
The problem (or similar) has been reported at least twice before (V5.4.004 onwards) where after watching something recorded and then returning to the previous live TV channel being watched prior to watching the recording pausing will lock up the box, with regards getting a moving picture back.. The dirty solution is after returning to live TV change channels at least once before activating timeshift.

Currently (V5.4..014)there may be another problem with timeshift but I've only experienced the problem twice and not done any systematic testing or observations. When timeshift spans a program boundary the > key (the one below the 9 key on my remote) is not skipping to the start of program marker but returning to live TV. The timeshift buffer isn’t lost and I can return to it by pausing and then jumping back to the start of program marker. I have configured my disk to be always spinning and timeshift to start 10 seconds after changing channels.

Timeshift's awareness of program boundrys seems worse than useless to me since the boundries are taken from the EPG times and they often occur before a program actually ends or after a program actually begins.
It's also as good as impossible to learn to use it since it's only possible to practise using it once for each program boundry that occurs.
You can't just call up a few program boundries out of thin air to practise on after finding you don't seem to understand how it works.
I often find absolutely bizarre inexplicable things happening when stepping back and forth through programs I have had to pause to answer the phone.

adm
21-09-21, 17:54
Timeshift's awareness of program boundrys seems worse than useless to me since the boundries are taken from the EPG times and they often occur before a program actually ends or after a program actually begins.

Until recently I've found them to be useful and are not just the EPG times. The start and end boundaries do not include any adverts, apart for the 10 second "this program is sponsored by" adverts.

Mick Seymour
22-09-21, 15:35
Hi,
Ralf
Yes, I tried that. All is does is bring up the GUI overlay, not restart the timeshift.

Mick Seymour
22-09-21, 15:36

Interesting.

Are these and the Play/Pause problem on a buglist to be looked at?

BrokenUnusableAccount
22-09-21, 22:32

Some information about the currently viewed channel appears to get lost, or partially lost, after playing a recording.
If you have your infobar set to show, among other things, the channel number it no longer has access to it after playing a recording and dashes are shown instead.
(You can stil use CH+ and CH- and either will return things to normal with the channel number showing)

ccs
23-09-21, 08:59
Some information about the currently viewed channel appears to get lost, or partially lost, after playing a recording.
If you have your infobar set to show, among other things, the channel number it no longer has access to it after playing a recording and dashes are shown instead.
(You can stil use CH+ and CH- and either will return things to normal with the channel number showing)

I noticed that for the first time a few days ago, but never got round to reporting it, I guess it could well be significant when using timeshift.

smipx
28-09-21, 11:52
Same thing happening here for me. I just decided to give 5.4.014 a whirl (was on 5.3.039). Flashed it to slot 2 and setup my preferred skin. Did a pause on live TV and it paused just fine but the play button does not work to play the paused program :-(

Mick Seymour
28-09-21, 12:57
Can someone point me in the right direction on how to find out whether there is a bug report for this please.

smipx
28-09-21, 13:35
Not sure if this will help anyone looking into this but I tried to put my H7 to "Deep Sleep" some time after I had been trying to pause then play a timeshift (and after cancelling it and saying "Don't save/Don't record"). I was hit with an error saying "thre are recordings currently running or about to start. I checked my Autotimers and also my Timers and my File List and there were no timers due until 4 hours later and no recordings currently in progress that I could see. I have a suspicion that the ending of the timeshift does not end properly and the system thinks it is still running on those occasions when it is going to refuse to play a timeshift in pause mode. For me, it is not every time but only "sometimes" and I can't pin down on what occasions it will behave and on what occasions it will refuse to start to play again when paused. Other times I can pause/play a timeshift; end the Timeshift and then 10 seconds later I can press pause again and the timeshift kicks back in and plays just fine. Other (seeming random) times it will just pause and not play until I change channels and then it kisks back to life.

Joe_90
28-09-21, 14:03
@smipx - I have noticed this issue on occasion. I shut my GB Quad+ into deep standby each night before going to bed. If I have been using timeshift beforehand and saving (or not saving) recordings, then sometimes I will get a message saying that recording are running or about to start. When I check recording schedule there are none due. If I acknowledge the message and shut down, the box will reboot shortly after. A second shut down is successful. I haven't reported it as a bug as I can't replicate it consistently.

ccs
28-09-21, 14:12
Can someone point me in the right direction on how to find out whether there is a bug report for this please.

It's a known issue, the cause is now understood and a fix is being looked into.

smipx
29-09-21, 10:30
Just for my info. Where can we see a list of all the outstanding issues/bugs and their status?

Thanks
Paul

ccs
29-09-21, 10:51
Just for my info. Where can we see a list of all the outstanding issues/bugs and their status?

Thanks
Paul

I don't think there is one, I've certainly not seen one.

Try

https://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?63359-OpenVix-5-4-Change-log
http://www.openvix.co.uk/feeds/openvix/release/5.4/e2-git.log
http://www.openvix.co.uk/feeds/openvix/release/5.4/oe-git.log

smipx
29-09-21, 11:41
Thanks CSS.

It's a shame (from my point of view) that there is not a nice list of reported "bugs" that are being worked on / been acknowleged.
I have come across a few bugs but I don't currently have the time to gather logs and create a post each time (if I am not sure its not already been reported and/or acknowleged).

e.g. one bug I found yesterday was when inside the list of recordings I wanted to change the action of the yellow button to "select" so I could select a bunch of recordings. I made the change in the menu and then next time I went into the movie list the box crashed and kept crashing. No way to remove the "not working assignment" other than to go into the config file, find the offending line and remove the setting. I did this - rebooted and it was fine again. It would take me hours to log that as a problem, try to gather the logs and submit them and then, after all of that effort get someone telling me "it's a known issue and is in the fix list". I just don't have the time but - on the other hand I do want to try and help iron out the bugs.

Another issue was that I was using the MovieOrganizer plugin previously (and it worked very well) but when I installed 5.4.014 I decided to avoid any 3rd party plugins that were not tested and maintained in the Downloads section and instead try to use the built-in "Enable Automatic Collections". Now at the moment I have the list of movies sorted (done by MovieOrganizer) into folders at the top (by the date the folder was created I think) and then individual recordings at the bottom by date (newest at the top of the list of individual files). When I tried to use "collections" the "virtual folders" were interspersed with the individual files and there seemed to be no sort option to make all of the "virtual folders" appear at the top and then individual files by date ascending under them. I just gave up and installed MovieOrganizer manually from an IPK and got back to what I am used to.

ccs
29-09-21, 12:36
... changing the yellow button to "toggle mark" in movielist crashes 5.4.014 (didn't take long)......

12:31:09.7532 [eRCDeviceInputDev] emit: 0
12:31:09.7601 [InfoBarGenerics] Key: 399 (Break) KeyID='KEY_GREEN' Binding='('GREEN',)'.
12:31:09.7741 [Trashcan] Debug path /media/hdd/movie/ => /media/hdd/movie/.Trash
12:31:10.0006 Traceback (most recent call last):
12:31:10.0008 File "/usr/lib/enigma2/python/Components/MovieList.py", line 312, in selectionChanged
12:31:10.0012 File "/usr/lib/enigma2/python/Screens/MovieSelection.py", line 1063, in updateButtons
12:31:10.0018 TypeError: can_mark() takes exactly 1 argument (2 given)
12:31:10.0019 [ePyObject] (CallObject(<bound method MovieList.selectionChanged of <Components.MovieList.MovieList object at 0x71aac7d0>>,()) failed)5.4.014

smipx
29-09-21, 16:40
:-) not if you know what you're doing and do it often. For me it's a mission each time I have to get debug logs etc. Bit of a noob on that :-)

Tkr001
29-09-21, 21:50
:-) not if you know what you're doing and do it often. For me it's a mission each time I have to get debug logs etc. Bit of a noob on that :-)
Problem is that this software is maintained by unpaid volunteers. If we all decided it took too long to document and submit a bug report potentially nothing would ever get fixed. Easy way is to create a post and ask if it is a known problem. If it isn't then you should take the time to submit logs and any other diagnostic information. We get the software free so we should all try to help out where we can.

smipx
30-09-21, 09:08
Problem is that this software is maintained by unpaid volunteers. If we all decided it took too long to document and submit a bug report potentially nothing would ever get fixed. Easy way is to create a post and ask if it is a known problem. If it isn't then you should take the time to submit logs and any other diagnostic information. We get the software free so we should all try to help out where we can.

Hi Tkr001,

I hadn't appreciated or understood that fact so I unreservedly apologise to all the volunteers who work so hard to make OpenVIX.

I will do as you suggest. The idea of a list of already "being worked on" or "acknowleged" bugs/behaviours in a format/place that the "less technical" of us can look at (and have ahope of understanding) is still a good idea though. In some ways it might take the pressure off the hard working volunteers (rather than create more work) and avoid what must be annoying posts about things that are already known about. Sometimes a bug can take many forms and one symptom may not be immediately obvious by trawling through previous posts so it would help on that side too.

Just an idea.

Apologies again,

Paul

Mick Seymour
30-09-21, 10:00
As the OP, I'm very happy that the problem is being looked at and fully understand the devs are volunteers and passionate about what they do. I love my ZGemma with OpenVIX.

Huevos
30-09-21, 21:00
... changing the yellow button to "toggle mark" in movielist crashes 5.4.014 (didn't take long)......

12:31:09.7532 [eRCDeviceInputDev] emit: 0
12:31:09.7601 [InfoBarGenerics] Key: 399 (Break) KeyID='KEY_GREEN' Binding='('GREEN',)'.
12:31:09.7741 [Trashcan] Debug path /media/hdd/movie/ => /media/hdd/movie/.Trash
12:31:10.0006 Traceback (most recent call last):
12:31:10.0008 File "/usr/lib/enigma2/python/Components/MovieList.py", line 312, in selectionChanged
12:31:10.0012 File "/usr/lib/enigma2/python/Screens/MovieSelection.py", line 1063, in updateButtons
12:31:10.0018 TypeError: can_mark() takes exactly 1 argument (2 given)
12:31:10.0019 [ePyObject] (CallObject(<bound method MovieList.selectionChanged of <Components.MovieList.MovieList object at 0x71aac7d0>>,()) failed)5.4.014

Have a go with this:
https://github.com/OpenViX/enigma2/commit/5f380b06109431ce9e34e41d8ccf4faf9043f5ba

ccs
30-09-21, 21:16
Have a go with this:
https://github.com/OpenViX/enigma2/commit/5f380b06109431ce9e34e41d8ccf4faf9043f5ba.. yes, "toggle mark" now working as expected in 5.4.014.

Py3 will have to wait until tomorrow. :)

ccs
01-10-21, 09:09
.... Py3 fine. :thumbsup:

smipx
01-10-21, 09:17
Many thanks (toggle mark issue) and apologies for not doing the "right thing" and for hijacking this post to the OP.
Off to find a flagellation whip for myself.

Huevos
01-10-21, 10:12
@CCS, is this problem related to the missing channel numbers issue?

ccs
01-10-21, 10:17
@CCS, is this problem related to the missing channel numbers issue?

No, it's current status is here (timeshift is affected as well).....

https://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?64618-Channel-number-missing-when-returning-to-live-tv-after-playing-a-recording&p=517317&viewfull=1#post517317

Mick Seymour
25-10-21, 12:25
This looks like it was fixed in 5.4.016 or 5.4.015. Thanks devs :thumbsup:

smipx
04-11-21, 17:54
I just wanted to update on the Timeshift "occasionally" freezes issue and you cannot press play.
I had this again yesterday - problem is that I don't know the exact steps prior. I was watching BBC1 and pressed pause. It paused okay but play (and OK) would not get it playing from the point of pausing. 19 times out of 20 the pause works just fine but just occasionally this still happens. The only option I had was to stop the timeshift. I chose "stop the timeshift and continue recording" (as I actually wanted to watch the program I paused. I then left the program and went into recordings. I could see two recordings of the program. the 1st one (which was a "completed" recording was about 2 minutes long and was the section of program between pressing pause and ending the pause with the "stop the timeshift and continue recording" The second recording was the continuation of the recording. Both were perfectly watch-able.

I'm on 5.4.016 (2021-10-09)

Thanks
Paul