PDA

View Full Version : [VU+ Zero] Mediatek RT5370 Wifi dongle

sponge_bob
09-03-21, 15:45
Hi

I am trying to get this wifi dongle to work with my vu zero but its not being detected at all. After a quick search I'm unsure if it officially supported. I even went to the extent of installing BH image to test it and can confirm it works there but I much prefer the openvix system but reverted back. I have tried various drivers from the plugin menu but no luck.

Does anyone know how to detect and install this dongle?

Thank you

ronand
09-03-21, 16:46
Have you tried the RT3070 driver? Also you need to fully restart the system after installing the driver for it to work (not e2 restart)

sponge_bob
10-03-21, 00:03
Have you tried the RT3070 driver? Also you need to fully restart the system after installing the driver for it to work (not e2 restart)

Thanks for the tip. I installed this driver but for some reason I cant get it to even look for the wifi adapter. it keeps looking for LAN. do I need to install another addon for it search for the adapter?
sorry for sounding dumb..

ronand
10-03-21, 00:25
You have lost me. I've never heard of a network driver looking for anything. Can you post a screenshot

Joe_90
10-03-21, 01:14
If the box doesn't detect a WiFi dongle (because it may not have the correct driver) at boot time, then it will only offer a LAN port configuration. It happened all the time on my Mutant HD51 on which I had a cheapo generic 8814 dongle. I had to download a particular kernel module and then install it any time I did a clean flash, because ViX and OpenATV did not have the particular driver in the standard build.

sponge_bob
10-03-21, 22:03
You have lost me. I've never heard of a network driver looking for anything. Can you post a screenshot

What i mesn by that, is that it only offers me the LAN connection. The wifi option isnt there at all when i run the setup wizard. I have installed 2088/3070 drivers but it didnt make any difference at all

sponge_bob
10-03-21, 22:06
If the box doesn't detect a WiFi dongle (because it may not have the correct driver) at boot time, then it will only offer a LAN port configuration. It happened all the time on my Mutant HD51 on which I had a cheapo generic 8814 dongle. I had to download a particular kernel module and then install it any time I did a clean flash, because ViX and OpenATV did not have the particular driver in the standard build.

Thats what im thinking. It is a cheapo dongle but the drivers should be available for it. I've tested it on BH and it works out the box.
I did look at this thread but the link in it is broken:
https://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?33810-help-setup-wifi-usb-dongle/page2

Not sure where else to find it..

ronand
10-03-21, 22:22
On blackhole what is the device listed as?

ronand
10-03-21, 22:25
Thats what im thinking. It is a cheapo dongle but the drivers should be available for it. I've tested it on BH and it works out the box.
I did look at this thread but the link in it is broken:
https://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?33810-help-setup-wifi-usb-dongle/page2

Not sure where else to find it..

In that thread he installed the RT3070 driver from the feeds as I told you to do.

sponge_bob
10-03-21, 22:28
On blackhole what is the device listed as?

I forgot to make a note of that *oops* i went back vix because I didnt have the patience to learn everything from scratch. and the skins are horrible..

looks like one of these if thats any help.. https://www.amazon.com/Ralink-RT5370-USB-150mbps-WiFi/dp/B07MF1YG1Y

ronand
10-03-21, 22:29
It could be anything - even it you bought it from there would you really trust a description on amazon? "Looks like it" is not good enough unfortunately. Plug it into a laptop/pc and see what driver loads.

sponge_bob
10-03-21, 22:39

This is what i'm getting in windows pal..

birdman
10-03-21, 23:44
According to the USB device id and a Google search it might use:

enigma2-plugin-drivers-network-usb-mt7601u

sponge_bob
11-03-21, 10:50

I don’t see this one in the list. Do I need to download it from somewhere else and install using a usb stick?

ccs
11-03-21, 10:55
I don’t see this one in the list. Do I need to download it from somewhere else and install using a usb stick?

I can see it in download plugins. If it's already loaded, have a look in remove plugins to see if it is.

It's referred to as network-usb-mt7601u.

sponge_bob
11-03-21, 11:35
I can see it in download plugins. If it's already loaded, have a look in remove plugins to see if it is.

It's referred to as network-usb-mt7601u.

LEGEND!! It works. Thank you so much for your help :D

ccs
11-03-21, 11:36
LEGEND!! It works. Thank you so much for your help :D

I think @birdman is the legend. :)

sponge_bob
11-03-21, 14:28

Thank you @birdman and @ccs! :D :D