PDA

View Full Version : Still having variable problems with subtitles since I purchased receiver ...

Mundosat
28-02-21, 12:21
Hi
I understand the vast majority does not need 'subtitles', but they are NOT just the Elders problems, as some might think and it is not secondary to any other system problem - in fact having good subtitling will get 'more' new customers buying Gigablue receivers.

In UK alone there are at least 4 million people with various Hearing problems and subtitles for us are same as having Sound going on mute or intermittently going on mute.

It is unnerving for us - try to have some one playing with the mute while you are watching a show!

Having said that and having had similar problems reported on almost every forum here and some seemed solved by the 'before last' update, the last update seems to have brought different ones to me.

I now find this:

1. subtitles are set to ON - always
But they seem not to always come on by themselves, even the BBC ones that are the best ones as BBC does take care of them better than any other station on earth!
2. On recordings they 'never' start and what I do to MAKE them work is:
press Subtitles button
I find it set on 888 [which I believe I added it as a backup, if I am not wrong] a long time ago
press DVB subtitles - OK
press STOP playing and START playing and they almost always come up after 30 seconds or so.

It feels like - as a electronics technician [me] would think - the SYNC signal is too weak to be pulled up by the software and start.

I had huge problems on Kodi subtitles that then seemed to have been resolved by one update.

I still have Humax working in parallel and I rarely have problems there - on same programs - so, I guess it is to do with system tweaking - even thou it has its own bugs and it is 12 years old.

Can anything been done and tested?
This is not a protest, but more a lament - I really need it, one cannot relax when watching a program - really!

Thank you in advance
M

PS I already played with delays settings etc.

ronand
28-02-21, 12:41
Please clarify the build you are running ie 5.4.007 etc (Menu->Information->About). Also can you please post a screenshot of your subtitle settings - you can use openwebif on a pc/laptop to grab a screenshot. I have checked on build 5.4.007 (release) on my H7 and subtitles can be set to work always on live tv and recordings. Also note DVB subtitles are preferred (rather than teletext)

Here is a screenshot of my settings:

abu baniaz
28-02-21, 19:49
Please provide the names of services/channels that are affected. Are these on Satellite or Terrestrial (aerial)?

Mundosat
11-03-21, 11:58
Hi
Sorry for delay.

System OE:

OE-Alliance 4.4

Firmware version:
OpenViX 5.4.008 (2021-03-02)

Kernel / Drivers:

4.1.20 / 20200723

BUT, it was the previous version to this one.

I do not watch much live TV on this receiver.

During the day is on Cbeebies from 8 am to 6-7pm - I have to go into subtitles and choose whatever.

On recordings usually as explained - all of them, especially Pick.

Over last update, it seems 'a bit' better ...

Thanks
M

ccs
11-03-21, 12:00
.... as mention before, are these on Satellite or Terrestrial (aerial)?

ronand
11-03-21, 12:03
Hi
Sorry for delay.

System OE:

OE-Alliance 4.4

Firmware version:
OpenViX 5.4.008 (2021-03-02)

Kernel / Drivers:

4.1.20 / 20200723

BUT, it was the previous version to this one.

I do not watch much live TV on this receiver.

During the day is on Cbeebies from 8 am to 6-7pm - I have to go into subtitles and choose whatever.

On recordings usually as explained - all of them, especially Pick.

Over last update, it seems 'a bit' better ...

Thanks
M

Can you post a screenshot of your subtitle settings please (like I did)?

Mundosat
11-03-21, 12:11
Satellite, do not use Terrestrial module at present ... aerial man too scared to fix it!

hahahahah - I used to go to 60m huge Telecommunication masts!

Mundosat
11-03-21, 12:12
Will try, I did not even notice image, maybe browser was not loading it initially.

Sorry for being sketchy, but I have family walking on my chest !

I also have 4 deliveries and trying to catch the slippery carriers!

ronand
11-03-21, 12:13
No problem. You can use openwebif to do it. There may be some clue as to what is happening on your setup.

Mundosat
11-03-21, 12:20
The -0.5 seems to help it start faster after the 'manoeuvre I explained'.

ronand
11-03-21, 12:25
With your satellite remote please go to MENU->SETUP->AUDIO & VIDEO->AUTOMATIC LANGUAGE

Grab a screenshot with openwebif OF THE ACTUAL DISPLAY

Mundosat
11-03-21, 12:35

Here it is.

Mundosat
11-03-21, 12:39
Strange thing now - to me.

I just noticed subtitles on OpenWebIf and not on TV !

ADDITION, they now are working!

ronand
11-03-21, 12:41
Prefer Subtitles Stored By Service should be set to NO if you want subtitles to be automatically displayed. Using this setting if you had turned them off on a channel then they would stay off.

Mundosat
11-03-21, 12:46
OK, will change that.

Thanks for your time.