PDA

View Full Version : Why do people think FBC tuners are required for Unicable

abu baniaz
26-02-21, 21:55
Just out of curiosity, why do some people think you need FBC tuners to use unicable devices?

Also, as people are asking questions which I believe are covered by this guide, please feel free to suggest improvements/corrections. People should be able to search for something and read a guide and almost all their questions be answered.

https://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?59981-Guide-to-using-Unicable

JonMMM
26-02-21, 23:43
I think that its because they are discussed together.

I have had 6 channels recording together with a legacy 2 feeds LNB. on a Gigablue UHD UE 4K UHD, and it has worked perfectly well.

So I think I now get it, my receiver with a legacy LNB with 2 feeds can play / record / stream up to 8 channels at a time as long as they are within 2 transmitters.

Unicable 2 means that you have 1 cable that you can put into a splitter to feed multiple tuners.

You can also combine FBC tuners and Unicable so that 1 feed goes into the tuner and gives you 8, i think that you could also plug the unicable into a splitter before the receiver and sill get 8 channels out of it and plug in a few other receivers too

joysleep1
27-02-21, 00:07
Just out of curiosity, why do some people think you need FBC tuners to use unicable devices?

Also, as people are asking questions which I believe are covered by this guide, please feel free to suggest improvements/corrections. People should be able to search for something and read a guide and almost all their questions be answered.

https://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?59981-Guide-to-using-Unicable

I guess because people assume unicable is solely for fbc because you need unicable to use fbc to the max and there would be no advantage in extra recordings if your tuner wasn't fbc compatible and you use unicable with it

Joe_90
27-02-21, 01:56
Is there any benefit to using a unicable LNB on a standard tuner abu? Does it give you any benefit over a universal LNB apart from being able to split the feed?

What current receivers have FBC tuners? I'd like to maybe upgrade my current single cable setup which has a motor. Would like to be able to record from several transponders on a single wire.

Trial
27-02-21, 09:05
Hi,
the benefits depend on your reception situation. I Germany most services are on horizontal high/low so a normal LNB/switch with 2 cable gave almost all possibilities. In my case I have an old house and only 1 cable is in each of the 6 rooms. I switched to an unicable switch 2 years ago and now all my 5 used rooms have 4 frequencies.

Ralf

Valiant
27-02-21, 11:29
What current receivers have FBC tuners?
I'm using a VU+ Uno 4K SE (1x DVB-S2X FBC (8 demodulators) Twin Tuner UHD 4K). I'm happily using my legacy disk and Universal LNB, I expect to convert to Unicable soonish.

twol
27-02-21, 12:19
[QUOTE=fat-tony;510682
What current receivers have FBC tuners? I'd like to maybe upgrade my current single cable setup which has a motor. Would like to be able to record from several transponders on a single wire.[/QUOTE]

The only ones I am aware of are: Dreambox, Vu+ 4K and Giga (UE, UHD) 4K

abu baniaz
27-02-21, 17:14
Is there any benefit to using a unicable LNB on a standard tuner abu? Does it give you any benefit over a universal LNB apart from being able to split the feed?
Not much. Just able to split, see the recent thread about how many cables you can fit in hole. Less cabling or when you cannot run more cables. Not restricted to number of ports on LNB, (a multi-switch would also overcome that).

I'd like to maybe upgrade my current single cable setup which has a motor.
Unicable is designed for sharing/splitting a dish fixed on one orbital positions.
Unicable is designed for sharing/splitting LNBs fixed on fixed orbital positions.

Although it is possible to use unicable on a motorised dish, that is not the design. Just like connecting two different receivers to the same motorised dish. The video guide on youtube by someone else about unicable on motorised dish may no longer apply to our/pli images after the satconfig changes, I've not checked in detail.

Rob van der Does
27-02-21, 17:58
Unicable is designed for sharing/splitting a dish fixed on one orbital positions. Although it is possible to use unicable on a motorised dish, that is not the design. Just like connecting two different receivers to the same motorised dish. The video guide on youtube by someone else about unicable on motorised dish may no longer apply to our/pli images after the satconfig changes, I've not checked in detail.
Well:
1- Using a Unicable switch you can use 2 or 4 orbital positions (although a bit expensive)
2- Unicable on a motorised dish is fine (e.g. to be able to receive BBC1,2 & 4 simultaneous), 2 receivers on a motorised dish is no (as the second box doesn't know what satellite the dish is pointing to).

abu baniaz
27-02-21, 18:12
Well:
1- Using a Unicable switch you can use 2 or 4 orbital positions (although a bit expensive)
2- Unicable on a motorised dish is fine (e.g. to be able to receive BBC1,2 & 4 simultaneous), 2 receivers on a motorised dish is no (as the second box doesn't know what satellite the dish is pointing to).

You are absolutely spot on Rob. I don't know any hobbyist who will be forking out £400 for a switch. I'll amend the post.

Huevos
27-02-21, 21:13
Using a Unicable switch you can use 2 or 4 orbital positions (although a bit expensive)You can do that without a switch.

bobi
27-02-21, 22:53
Hi
Since we are on this topic , is the any unifiable switch that can be used with up to 8 or 16 different sat positions ?

cheers

bobi

Trial
28-02-21, 08:34
Hi,

You are absolutely spot on Rob. I don't know any hobbyist who will be forking out £400 for a switch. I'll amend the post.
here where the finger is up:-) Unicable was a must because of the cabling in my old house and good LNB with good switch imho offers better quality.

Ralf

Huevos
28-02-21, 09:01
Since we are on this topic , is the any unifiable switch that can be used with up to 8 or 16 different sat positions ?No, because "position" is a 2 bit.

twol
28-02-21, 09:09
@Trial +1
With my existing setup using multiple Quattro Lnb‘s, it was easier to replace my existing switches with switches that provided both unicable and legacy outputs - so that I could both test Unicable on my (then new) Giga4K and support all the other receivers on legacy.
When you have to use power drills to bore through reinforced concrete (typical for a Bavarian house), it makes you think twice about changing things!

Huevos
28-02-21, 09:31
What switch is it?

Trial
01-03-21, 09:26
Hi,
mine is from the inventor of JESS called Jultec. There the limit seems 4 sat positions with 8 outputs and 8 frequencies each.

Ralf

Huevos
01-03-21, 15:07
There the limit seems 4 sat positions with 8 outputs and 8 frequencies each.

RalfAs I said above the position part of the control word is 2 bit so that means a maximum of 4 positions.