PDA

View Full Version : In a big trouble for my new decoder

mauog
15-02-11, 22:00
Hi all,
as I told in my presentation thread, I didn't suspect to be flooded by tons of doubts looking for a new decoder.
I told myself: easy task - read some forums, read some reviews - then decide.
Unluckily it isn't so easy.
I blame myself for this when I decided to dispose my old Humax DTT decoder and my Clarke Tech 2100 and try to buy something new.
But let me share my thoughts.
I'd need a box which allows me to see both satellite and terrestrial channels.
I'd need a box which allows me to use my Medisaet Premium and Tivusat card.
I'd like to have an HD box.
I'd like to try a linux box but I don't have a lot of time to spend looking after the box. I can spend some time to set it up but then it should run without giving any problem.
In somebody opinions the dreambox could satisfy my needs but the DM 800SE isn't so cheap. Does it worth it? Is it so stable and supported? Is it so fast with the new processor?
Somebody suggests one out of the VU+ boxes which should be cheaper than the Dreambox and anyway well supported and stable. What's your feeling?
Then there are the Qboxes... not perfectly stabilized but very interesting.
And what about AZBoxes?
Sorry I need some help to decide. Maybe it could be better take a decoder not-linux based but I could lost some interesting features...

Please be patient...

Any help will be appreciated.

Regards

Mauro

Stanman
15-02-11, 23:14
With the linux box you will have to periodically up date bouquets etc as the frequency changes - but life is made easier by the many good people who create them, thereafter its a 1 minute job.

As for the box, I would recommend the VU+, its cheaper than the DM800 and you can now add a USB tuner on the very good VIX image for terrestrial TV, unfortunately not HD in the UK. The box is very stable unless you are into constant tinkering and experimenting.

As for your particular cards, I dont know but there will be other members along you will be able to answer that question. A quick google does indicate it can read the TIVUSAT card

Finnally whatever box you buy, do consider the forum sponsors - you wont get a better service anywhere else on the web.

basilyoung
15-02-11, 23:39
I take it that you live in italy, as far as your card goes, I do not know if the card can be read, or not, but I would expect it can be read

The VU+ would be the best unit, ( dual tuner "sats" with the possibilty of using a third usb "T" tuner )

baz