PDA

View Full Version : Hard disk Activity

trapex
15-02-11, 19:01
Hi,

Is anyone else having this issue....after watching a channel for 10 minutes or so and the hard disk spins down(which is ok) but if I then change to another channel the hard disk has to spin up again before the channel appears during which time the VIX logo appears. I'm not sure why this is happening as I have timeshifting disabled, the only reason I can think is because its accessing epg data but this has only happened since 2.0 and did not happen on 1.3 despite me using all the same settings.

Any Ideas?

darken9
15-02-11, 19:07
I saw this issue being discussed here:
http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?6368-Cant-remember-how-to-fix

Might be of help.

Palinkat
15-02-11, 19:48
You really should have your picons, timeshift and epg.dat on a USB stick. Only use your HDD for recordings.

punisher
15-02-11, 20:01
how do you put timeshift onto usb, and what size usb is reasonable for permanent timeshift?

Palinkat
15-02-11, 21:10
6269You need to go into menu/setup/recording paths. You will see the path to timeshift. You need to add a new bookmark, to do so press menu, switch to files, then select USB storage. Then menu again, switch to bookmarks and select the USB bookmark you just created.
I suggest you use the Corsair flash voyager 8gb or 16gb: 6269

Good luck

trapex
15-02-11, 21:35
Thanks for all the replies but as I said I have it set up the same as 1.3 and it didn't do it then, the only time the hard disk spins up on 1.3 is when accessing recordings or pressing pause so the only thing it can be is because this image is based on pli.

Larry-G
15-02-11, 21:38
Thanks for all the replies but as I said I have it set up the same as 1.3 and it didn't do it then, the only time the hard disk spins up on 1.3 is when accessing recordings or pressing pause so the only thing it can be is because this image is based on pli.

if you have your picons stored on the HDD then regardless of the image you use, the HDD will always wake and spin up when changing channels.

trapex
16-02-11, 10:24
if you have your picons stored on the HDD then regardless of the image you use, the HDD will always wake and spin up when changing channels.

Well the Picons must be stored internally(not the hard disk) by default on the 1.3 image then and I wasn't aware because I've reflashed with 1.3 and Installed the picons and the hard disk activity has stopped.

andyblac
16-02-11, 18:41
i'll see if i can tweak for you, bare with us :)

trapex
17-02-11, 10:00
Nice one Andy cheers for that :-) Also I'm not sure if I am using different Picons on the 2.0 Image but the dont seems to look as good as the 1.3 Image>

pooface
17-02-11, 12:25
Nice one Andy cheers for that :-) Also I'm not sure if I am using different Picons on the 2.0 Image but the dont seems to look as good as the 1.3 Image>

My guess is that you have a set of picons set up on the hdd and the usb... In vix 1.3, there was an option that allow you to choose where to store picons. This would search the place you chose (usb/hdd/internal). In vix 2.0, it will search all locations and use whichever it finds... (seems like it's finding hdd first in your case).

You can delete the picons on hdd (just check you actually have them on usb first ;)), and this should stop the problem...

andyblac
17-02-11, 12:34
My guess is that you have a set of picons set up on the hdd and the usb... In vix 1.3, there was an option that allow you to choose where to store picons. This would search the place you chose (usb/hdd/internal). In vix 2.0, it will search all locations and use whichever it finds... (seems like it's finding hdd first in your case).

You can delete the picons on hdd (just check you actually have them on usb first ;)), and this should stop the problem...

ahh yes, forget that is how it was, cheers for reminding me ;), just checked the code and it does only look on hdd if you have a folder called /picons in the root on your HDD, as pooface has said delete this folder and it should stop the HDD from waking.

Mr. Mister
17-02-11, 12:39
I had this problem since installing Vix V2.0

Sic told me to delete the picons folder via ftp and this would cure the problem..

Worked a treat. All working as it should.

trapex
17-02-11, 12:41
Thanks for your replies guys, I must have had them stored internally on 1.3 and then when I upgraded to 2.0 it must have installed them on the hard disk then because I never have the usb drive connected once the image is flashed.

trapex
17-02-11, 12:45
Just like to say thanks for the VIX image though andy, this image and the VU+ duo is the best combo I've used in the sat game and overall very happy:-)

Keep up the good work mate.

andyblac
17-02-11, 12:45
the Vu+ has enough NAND to store them internally that where i store them ;)

pooface
17-02-11, 13:03
the Vu+ has enough NAND to store them internally that where i store them ;)

When constantly flashing though, it's easiest to have them stored on an external location :p That way, whenever you flash, they're already there without having to re-download or upload via ftp again :p

andyblac
17-02-11, 13:30
When constantly flashing though, it's easiest to have them stored on an external location :p That way, whenever you flash, they're already there without having to re-download or upload via ftp again :p

just add the folder to be included when you do a backup with software manager ;), this is what i have setup.

'/etc/CCcam.cfg'
'/etc/CCcam.channelinfo'
'/etc/default_gw'
'/etc/enigma2/'
'/etc/hostname'
'/etc/network/interfaces'
'/etc/passwd'
'/etc/resolv.conf'
'/etc/wpa_supplicant.conf'
'/usr/softcams/'
'/etc/SoftcamsAutostart'
'/picon/']

trapex
17-02-11, 14:02
just add the folder to be included when you do a backup with software manager ;), this is what i have setup.

'/etc/CCcam.cfg'
'/etc/CCcam.channelinfo'
'/etc/default_gw'
'/etc/enigma2/'
'/etc/hostname'
'/etc/network/interfaces'
'/etc/passwd'
'/etc/resolv.conf'
'/etc/wpa_supplicant.conf'
'/usr/softcams/'
'/etc/SoftcamsAutostart'
'/picon/']

Thanks for this info andy....good idea:-)