PDA

View Full Version : picons on vix 2.0

fintannl
14-02-11, 21:31
after installing vix 2.0 the system seemed to automount my hdd but not my usb stick. so i was given the option of putting picons into internal flash or hdd. so i decided to put them on hdd. then i went and mounted usb. now i would like to use usb rather than hdd for picons. anyone explain how i can change location. i've searched through the menus but can't find the option necessary. Thanks

punisher
14-02-11, 21:38
just put the picons on usb and delete them from hdd, and vix will auto pickup where the picons are, in this case on your usb. thats what i did and works perfect

Stanman
14-02-11, 21:39
It auto picks up the picon, so put them wherever you want and reboot and box will find them.

fintannl
15-02-11, 01:26
gone mad, cant find the feckers on hdd. thought it would be a simple directory like /media/hdd/picons. not a sign

rob76
15-02-11, 07:19
gone mad, cant find the feckers on hdd. thought it would be a simple directory like /media/hdd/picons. not a sign

How did you upload the picons? If you used DreamBoxEdit then you'd have the unix directory setup in there.

Alternatively telnet to your box, go to root dir and run: -
find . -type f | grep *

Replace * by the filename of one of your picons

Sicilian
15-02-11, 07:33

It should be media/hdd/picon <<<without the S.

Btw your better off putting them on a USB stick, otherwise everytime the picons are called on your HDD will need to spin up.

marty
15-02-11, 09:13
Btw your better off putting them on a USB stick, otherwise everytime the picons are called on your HDD will need to spin up.

If you have perminant time shift enabled then that wouldn't matter :)

Sicilian
15-02-11, 09:26
If you have perminant time shift enabled then that wouldn't matter :)

Yes good point, glad to see your paying attention :D :p

fintannl
16-02-11, 05:56
thanks, sorted. as you say sicilian the reason i wanted to switch them to usb was because the hard drive was spinning all the time

fintannl
16-02-11, 05:58
by the way where are silverfoxes excellent picons. they are not in the download feed for 2.0????

Larry-G
16-02-11, 08:38
by the way where are silverfoxes excellent picons. they are not in the download feed for 2.0????

you can download them manually from his bouquet threads in the download section.

ynwa
16-02-11, 11:09
Is there a reason for not installing picons to flash?

Sicilian
16-02-11, 11:33
Is there a reason for not installing picons to flash?

You would be using up flash memory unnecessarily. Best stored on USB stick.

silverfox0786
17-02-11, 01:03
my latest picons are not in feeds as feeds are being worked on so they have not been uploaded ther but as pheonix says they can be got from the settings download section

also to add to sicilian post the other reason to not ass to flash and this is important is that too many read and writes from nand can kill the nand chip [nand=flash]

fintannl
17-02-11, 21:55
silverfox, i have tried and failed with your picons on the magic hd skin. now i transferred your sd setting and picons to /media/usb/picon and all went in but none show on the tv screen. when i transferred the enigma II HD and British Isles picons I get many of them transferred successfully but approx 250 of them do not transfer successfully. Once again none of them show. Is it possible that your picons do not go well with the magic hd skin? I removed swap manager to make sure that there was enough space on usb stick. In truth its a 512mb stick and there is loads of space for picons, epg and swap manager so i'm at a loss to understand as to why all these files won't transfer successfully (using flashfxp)

silverfox0786
17-02-11, 22:31
silverfox, i have tried and failed with your picons on the magic hd skin. now i transferred your sd setting and picons to /media/usb/picon and all went in but none show on the tv screen. when i transferred the enigma II HD and British Isles picons I get many of them transferred successfully but approx 250 of them do not transfer successfully. Once again none of them show. Is it possible that your picons do not go well with the magic hd skin? I removed swap manager to make sure that there was enough space on usb stick. In truth its a 512mb stick and there is loads of space for picons, epg and swap manager so i'm at a loss to understand as to why all these files won't transfer successfully (using flashfxp)

its possible its a skin error as on default skin they work a charm

i beleive vuplus nl will be updating the magic hd skin to work with vix very soon

fintannl
17-02-11, 22:48
agreed, as i never had an issue with the kerni skin. can you post back what you find out further on compatibility with magic skin as in truth i think it is a superb skin

fintannl
18-02-11, 23:39
silverfox, had a further think about this. i honestly can't see any way that a skin would stop me transferring picons to usb. now maybe the picons may not be compatible with the skin but if i have enough space on usb (which i do) then at least the picons should transfer. think i will make an effort to put your picons into flash instead and see how that goes

silverfox0786
19-02-11, 00:07
silverfox, had a further think about this. i honestly can't see any way that a skin would stop me transferring picons to usb. now maybe the picons may not be compatible with the skin but if i have enough space on usb (which i do) then at least the picons should transfer. think i will make an effort to put your picons into flash instead and see how that goes

ok i thought u had a n issue with them showing

as you say they should transfer over and to be honest i wouldnt recomend using hdd for picons bst place is usb even if u format usb fat32 and use a pc to transfer them they will be ok

niteman1969
20-02-11, 01:03
I can't seem to get any picons showing even if i download the 13E and 28.2E to usb they just don't
seem to show in any skin.

I also tried uninstalling the downloaded ones and using silverfox ones in /media/usb/picon and nothing works.

I am also now getting a standby problem where the image will not wake up from standby via remote and only a reboot
will wake the machine up....

silverfox0786
20-02-11, 02:24
reinstall the image that may help

put picons in with default skin and see if that works then test with other skins

Channel Master
20-02-11, 11:21
"the other reason to not ass to flash and this is important is that too many read and writes from nand can kill the nand chip"

Does this mean we should also avoid keeping the EPG on Internal Flash?

Larry-G
20-02-11, 11:30
Does this mean we should also avoid keeping the EPG on Internal Flash?

yes where possible.

silverfox0786
21-02-11, 00:53
vix 2.0 actually gives a warnign that epg should not be kept in internal flash

punisher
21-02-11, 17:07
Yeh its best to stick epg and picons and performance is pretty decent too so you shouldnt get any issues via that process

ynwa
22-02-11, 20:24
Wanting to stick picons on my usb drive. However it wont transfer the picons to it, i guess because its in FAT format. I have tried through device manager to format the drive but it only formats in FAT. Would this be the reason i cant transfer picons there, and if so, how do i format the USB dirve in ext2 / 3?

punisher
22-02-11, 20:28
you should be able to transfer picons to usb via ur pc no problems even in FAT. you can try formatting again and then partition it, and then try transfering to usb

Stanman
22-02-11, 21:20
Why don't transfer them on the pc to the USB. As mention above you don't need to format ext3, fat32 works fine. How were you trying to transfer when you got the error message? Have you set a password as if your using DCC it can be funny without a password.

ynwa
22-02-11, 22:56
Why don't transfer them on the pc to the USB. As mention above you don't need to format ext3, fat32 works fine. How were you trying to transfer when you got the error message? Have you set a password as if your using DCC it can be funny without a password.

Oh i had them installed on my HD, but was sick of waiting for it to spin up when changing channel. But the transfer of the majority of the picons failed when moving them.

Also, i cant set up a swap on the drive, which i also assumed was because it was formatted in FAT, but im just guessing.

punisher
22-02-11, 23:31
download the format tool from here

http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?3055-Fat32-format-tool-for-USB-Pens&highlight=format+tool

then copy the picons over to usb and then insert into vu duo and reboot and hopefully that should sort it out

Stanman
23-02-11, 11:05
How is the USB mounted? You need to mount it as USB and not sdb1. Check the mount and change it to USB if not and retry moving the icons.

ynwa
23-02-11, 12:19
How is the USB mounted? You need to mount it as USB and not sdb1. Check the mount and change it to USB if not and retry moving the icons.

Right this could be something to do with it. When i formatted then mounted the drive it was coming up as media/sdb1 (i think, not at home now).

But it wasnt recognised for downloading picons too from the plugins menu, nor was it available for creating a swap file.

So is it easy enough to mount as usb instead? Im sure thats a stupid question but just not something ive looked into before.

punisher
23-02-11, 12:37
yeh if you go back into device manager, click on the usb stick and press "green" setup mounts, and then go to the usb stick and click side arrow on remote until it goes to media/usb and thats it. save the settings, reboot and you should be fine

ynwa
23-02-11, 12:43
Thanks for the replies. Will give this a go when i get home tonight.

Stanman
23-02-11, 13:26
Right this could be something to do with it. When i formatted then mounted the drive it was coming up as media/sdb1 (i think, not at home now).

But it wasnt recognised for downloading picons too from the plugins menu, nor was it available for creating a swap file.

So is it easy enough to mount as usb instead? Im sure thats a stupid question but just not something ive looked into before.
That's your problem, it does not for some reason like sdb1, change it to USB and you will be sorted.

fintannl
23-02-11, 17:03
ok, just tried this and still the same problem. indeed i did manage to get picons to load after a fresh install but then i'm still having issues loading epg to usb. when i go into crossepg on vix setting i do not get usb as a storage option. so i figured this was the sbd1 issue so i changed this to usb. now my picons have disappeared. so i tried to reload them and came back to the problem where half them do not load properly. so my assessment is that this is not related to the picon file. when i go into devices manager sometimes it sees my hard disk and usb stick, other times it doesn't. at all times I have never been able to configure crossepg to use the usb stick as that option is not available here. its as if there is a problem with the devices manager in vix which is causing all these problems

punisher
23-02-11, 17:05
just out of curiosity have you tried a different usb/unplugged all other usb devices?

ynwa
23-02-11, 19:05
That's your problem, it does not for some reason like sdb1, change it to USB and you will be sorted.

Thats it sorted! Many thanks for the help guys. :thumbsup:

punisher
23-02-11, 19:06
no probz mate, glad it worked out for ya :D

fintannl
23-02-11, 20:14
likewise sorted. replaced usb stick, rebooted and all fine now. thanks punisher

punisher
23-02-11, 23:02
Kool kool glad u guys up n running :D

acco
06-03-11, 00:23
How is the USB mounted? You need to mount it as USB and not sdb1. Check the mount and change it to USB if not and retry moving the icons.This has had me running around in circles for days untill now, thanks and also a shout to thread starter & punisher for staying with it.

My usb was showing as sdb1, now changed to USB

punisher
06-03-11, 00:30
no probz mate, glad u got it sorted ... like i say u live n learn :p

mateoosh
09-03-11, 14:39
just spotted this thread.

I have an NFS drive mounted as /media/hdd. The picons (shared with second Dreambox) are stored there, in picon directory (/media/hdd/picon), nevertheless they were not detected. So, I made a symlink to /usr/share/enigma2/picon dir and it worked.

niteman1969
11-03-11, 00:30
Hi there mate,
any details on how to create the symlink and where it goes would be really helpful.

Many Thanks

Niteman1969