PDA

View Full Version : How to restore a full image backup

cv05
04-01-21, 10:35
I posted this in one of the stickies and realised that it's probably not the right place.

I want to simply restore a full openvix image backup of the SF8008 just like you can do with numerous other E2 boxes such as the VU+ models.

Could someone kindly explain the process to do that please? I have a zip file of a full running back up sitting here and no matter what I do I do not seem to be able to restore it.

BrokenUnusableAccount
04-01-21, 10:50
AFAIK on most boxes running OpenViX you can restore images that you make with the green button in image manager from within image manager by choosing an image and pressing the blue button.

cv05
04-01-21, 19:51
Thanks, I've just worked out that you need to put the backuped up image file into a folder on the usb stick called "imagebackups" and then you can see the backup in in order to restore it.

BrokenUnusableAccount
05-01-21, 01:08
It sounds like you are trying to move the image to a different box.
Normally one just leaves the image backups where there were when they were made and that's where they need to be to restore them.
The images made in Image Manager don't necessarily work the same as recovery images (Though I think it does depend on which model of box you have).
I've found it's better to just keep settings backups and only flash recovery images and downloaded images.
Once you've flashed you restore your settings and it's normally as good as restoring a full image of your working system.

cv05
05-01-21, 10:39
It sounds like you are trying to move the image to a different box.

Yes! That's exactly what I am wanting to do. I know you can do restore a backup but it is nice to be able to move a full working image across knowing that it's going to take everything with it.

ronand
05-01-21, 10:42
You cant do that unless its from the same model of box. You can try transferring a settings backup instead

twol
05-01-21, 11:16
... and even with a settings backup there will be some values that reflect the old box

Valiant
05-01-21, 11:46
I recently replaced my miraclebox with a VU+Uno and transferred everything I needed across via ftp. The new box came with the latest image so I just needed to check a few settings, you'll soon find the settings you need to tweak through use, I also set up the power timers that I had on the miraclebox and installed the plugins that I needed and transferred the autotimer.xml and unwatched recordings via ftp/external usb drive. As soon as the autotimers were run my timers were created and I was up and running.

cv05
05-01-21, 21:19
You cant do that unless its from the same model of box. You can try transferring a settings backup instead

No I'm not trying to restore a full back up onto a different model box. I simply want to transfer it to another Octagon SF8008.

ronand
05-01-21, 21:30
So what's the problem then? We have no idea what you were trying to do - ye olde crystal ball doesn't work that well. Transfer the zip file to the image backup folder in the hard drive and restore it with the image manager. You don't unzip it.

cv05
05-01-21, 21:48
So what's the problem then? We have no idea what you were trying to do - ye olde crystal ball doesn't work that well. Transfer the zip file to the image backup folder in the hard drive and restore it with the image manager. You don't unzip it.

What if the box I am trying to load the backup image onto has openvix on it but it's locked up, or if the box has another image on it. With other E2 boxes you just restore an image from the unzipped contents on a usb stick. With this box it seems the only way you can do that is via image manager.

abu baniaz
05-01-21, 22:04
I couldn't quite follow the conversation elsewhere fully, from what I can understand, there are two types of images for multiboot devices. One is like other images and you can flash by USB. Others are "multi-boot images" and can only be flashed within an image.

If it is indeed a multi-boot image, you would flash a stock image by USB drive. And then flash your image backup.

ronand
05-01-21, 22:08
You can flash the box from a usb stick with the appropriate recovery file and then restore your backup image . These boxes have a more complicated partition structure than what you are used to. There are separate flash files for usb flashing and for flashing from the image manager. the full backups you make are designed to be used with the image manager.

Edit: sorry I was a bit slow typing and abu has already summed it up.

cv05
05-01-21, 23:25
Ahh ok, well that explains that then. I've been trying unsuccessfully for a long time to do the impossible then :-) Apologies if I didn't explain it well enough.