PDA

View Full Version : [Zgemma H7] Slow LAN / Network transfer speed on Zgemma & Solo2

tescojim
17-12-20, 17:30
Hi Guys,

Ive got two boxes. One is a Zgemma H7S 4K and one is a VU+ Solo2. Both are genuine purchased here. Both have OpenVIX image installed and both have 1 Gigabit LAN.
I use brand new Cat6 cables and a brand new Trendnet tegs16dg gigabit switch. Led shows green gigabit connection for all devices.

When I try to copy files from desktop PC to either boxes the transfer speed is only 50 MB/sec. It is basically half what it should be. After restart it goes up to 75 MB/sec but it is still not 1 Gbit/sec.
Solo2 is slightly slower around 35 MB/sec. It changes nothing after restarting the box.
Before anyone starts to blame the switch, distance, PC or cables as a test I replaced both boxes with my laptop which also have Gigabit LAN. When I transferred files the speed was truly 1 Gbit/sec as supposed to.
Ive got another desktop PC and I also tried that one. Ive got not problem again with transferring speed. It's been 1 Gbit/sec again.

Im desperate to find out why the transfer speed is slow / half of what is should be.

Zgemma has 5.3.038 image installed.
Solo2 has 5.3.039 image.

Thanks

birdman
17-12-20, 17:48
When I try to copy files from desktop PC to either boxes the transfer speed is only 50 MB/sec.So it's clearly running at 1Gb/s, rather than having negotiated just 100Mb/s.

What method are you using for copying? There is a CPU overhead associated with all copying (moving the data around between the file-system and the network card) and that slow things down a bit. If there is encryption on it then that wiil slow it as well.

tescojim
17-12-20, 17:54
Thanks for the reply. I use Filezilla to move files.
My concern is that 1 Gbit LAN feature loses its meaning if the CPU can't handle a simple file transfer.
Anyone here has either of this box to test transfer speed?
I found many posts people complaining about transfer speed but neither of those threads offers solution or fix.

twol
17-12-20, 18:06
@tescojim neither of the receivers are PC‘s. What are you trying to copy that is so important that it transfers at that speed???

tescojim
17-12-20, 18:08
Is 1 Gbit LAN so important to add to the box if it's clearly not up to the task? You probably can answer the question why they didint add a 100 Mbit LAN only.

ronand
17-12-20, 18:09
It may be the switch. Have a read here https://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?31020-Network-transfer-speed-very-slow-why

tescojim
17-12-20, 18:16
It may be the switch. Have a read here https://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?31020-Network-transfer-speed-very-slow-why

Did you even read the first post?
Your link is one between many others which gives no answer.

twol
17-12-20, 18:19
Did you even read the first post?
Your link is one between many others which gives no answer.

Didi you ever read post #6 - what are you trying to do that 1GB is so important? Perhaps you can answer a Q.???

ronand
17-12-20, 18:21
Its an example of where the problem was the switch. You have ruled out the switch without diagnosing the connection (except for a basic transfer which wont tell anything).

tescojim
17-12-20, 18:30
I dont think that the switch is the problem. Im just curious if anyone tested these transfer speeds. Is it low for me or low for everyone.

Zgemma's:

Supported ports: [ TP MII ]
Supported link modes: 10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full
100baseT/Half 100baseT/Full
1000baseT/Half 1000baseT/Full
Supported pause frame use: Symmetric Receive-only
Supports auto-negotiation: Yes
Supported FEC modes: Not reported
Advertised link modes: 10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full
1000baseT/Half 1000baseT/Full
Advertised pause frame use: Symmetric Receive-only
Advertised auto-negotiation: Yes
Advertised FEC modes: Not reported
Link partner advertised link modes: 10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full
1000baseT/Full
Link partner advertised pause frame use: Symmetric
Link partner advertised auto-negotiation: Yes
Link partner advertised FEC modes: Not reported
Speed: 1000Mb/s
Duplex: Full
Port: MII
PHYAD: 1
Transceiver: internal
Auto-negotiation: on
Supports Wake-on: gs
Wake-on: d
SecureOn password: 00:00:00:00:00:00
Current message level: 0x00000007 (7)
drv probe link
Link detected: yes

ccs
17-12-20, 19:28
Similar question today on another forum...

https://forums.openpli.org/topic/80266-zgemma-h7-and-openwebif/?view=findpost&p=1286990

tescojim
17-12-20, 19:38
Similar question today on another forum...

https://forums.openpli.org/topic/80266-zgemma-h7-and-openwebif/?view=findpost&p=1286990

Thanks CCS. This explains everything. This is the small print that no manufacturers want you to read. 1 Gbit LAN basically means nothing.
When next time I look for STB the second feature will be the RAM size along with Gigabit LAN.

BrokenUnusableAccount
17-12-20, 19:50
The 1Gb/s speed is the max speed of the ethernet link. Which corresponds to something in the region of 100MB/s.

Obviously if the hard drive in the box can only manage a sustained transfer rate of, say, 70MB/s you aren't going to read and write files on the hard drive any faster than 70MB/s.

Do you know the specification of the hard drive?

As to why they did just use 100Mb/s Ethernet, that should be obvious; the rest of the system can easily go faster than 100Mb/s so it's worth going for the next speed up which is 1Gb/s.

tescojim
17-12-20, 20:20
The 1Gb/s speed is the max speed of the ethernet link. Which corresponds to something in the region of 100MB/s.

Obviously if the hard drive in the box can only manage a sustained transfer rate of, say, 70MB/s you aren't going to read and write files on the hard drive any faster than 70MB/s.

Do you know the specification of the hard drive?

As to why they did just use 100Mb/s Ethernet, that should be obvious; the rest of the system can easily go faster than 100Mb/s so it's worth going for the next speed up which is 1Gb/s.

Ive got black Samsung SSD 850 Evo fitted in both.
Read/Write 540MB/s and 520MB/s

It should not be a problem.

ronand
17-12-20, 20:30
These STB's don't have a dedicated network card/chipset unlike a PC - its all part of the SOC (system-on-chip) so the 50Gb is actually not bad and more that most people really need. Also if there is any other traffic it will curtail speed greatly. Openwebif and softcams running will affect it. And just because you have a fast HDD doesnt mean the on board chipset can handle those speeds. Its a cheap stb not a £1000 PC

ronand
17-12-20, 20:38
And BTW you are wasting such a SSD in a satellite receiver - you will not see the benefit of it. A bog standard 1Tb HDD will be just as good in real terms.

adm
17-12-20, 21:20

There is also a protocol overhead associated with an ethernet data packet transfer. For the largest data packets the overhead is around 4% but for the smallest of packets the overhead could be 45%. Even if the ethernet link is configured for the largest of packets if the interface is not supplied with data in a timely manner the inter-packet gaps may be long in duration. The data transfer is only as fast as the slowest link in the chain which in this case may be the software rather than any physical hardware.

birdman
17-12-20, 22:49
Thanks for the reply. I use Filezilla to move files.
My concern is that 1 Gbit LAN feature loses its meaning if the CPU can't handle a simple file transfer.No it doesn't. That's a protocol negotiated/configured between the two ends of a link and determines the transmission speed across it. How much use can be made of it is something different.
Clearly 50MB/s cannot be achieved over a 100Mb/s link (the next step down) so you are using the capabilities of a 1Gb/s LAN.
It's also likely that 1Gb/s chipsets are now standard (just what comes along when you put components on a board).

Ferraris can do ~180mph, but that doesn't mean you'll see them doing this on a UK motorway.

Trial
18-12-20, 07:40
Hi,
the Solo2 is something "special" concerning GBit. It uses a chip that was not announced with GBit ready if I remember it correctly and VU used an experimental feature. I never tested the speed of my 4K boxes because it is an STB and not a server.

Ralf