PDA

View Full Version : A few questions

joysleep1
07-12-20, 21:03
Hi Guys

I have a few questions that i am hoping you guys can answer.

So i purchased an xtrend 8000 receiver for my parents room to have some light viewing. The issue is that the ethernet cable that was going to provide the internet to the receiver is now going to be used for my new virgin media HUB to the router. I want to avoid using homeplug. Is there any DUAL band compatible USB wifi dongle that can work with this receiver. I would much rather use 5ghz network as its more stable in my house. I dont expect lightning speeds with the usb. Just network connection will do. I had a look at the drivers and there is a bunch of compatible ones but i got no idea what this means in which actual prodcut to purchase.

Next question is that i plan on moving my current 4tb hardrive and putting it into this receiver and i plan on getting a bigger one. Is there a size limit for my ultimo 4k receiver in what hardrive it will accept. I would like to get a 12tb in the future.

Last question is that i have around 3tb worth of data on my current one and i would like to transfer that into my new one when i get it. I plan to insert the hardrives into the receivers and then use SABMA (windows) to copy the whole lot which would take hours but i take it there is no faster or better way than this?

If anyone has any input it would be much appreciated.

Thanks

abu baniaz
07-12-20, 21:16
Why not just use a switch and hardwire everything?

cactikid
07-12-20, 21:16
If that room has a lan cable you can add a network switch to give you more lan feeds,they come in many sizes 4 ---how many you need.

12 tb might be too big as not sure how big one can go on e2 boxes.

How long would it take to access very large tb and to load content.?

joysleep1
07-12-20, 21:41
Why not just use a switch and hardwire everything?

OK this is complicated to explain. The ethernet cable goes behind the wall into an other room where the router will be. I csn not feed another cable because a large cupboard is now blocking that hole. So I was hoping a simple USB WiFi dongle would work. Is this possible?

A gigabit switch won't work because the ethernet cable is now going to be used for something else and that's the only feed directly from the router.

joysleep1
07-12-20, 21:42
If that room has a lan cable you can add a network switch to give you more lan feeds,they come in many sizes 4 ---how many you need.

That's what I wanted to know. Is there a limit? If so does anyone know the maximum size possible?
Thanks

Willo3092
07-12-20, 21:42
Invest in a NAS and all E2 boxes will be able to record to it and watch content from it. Mine has 36 Tb of hard disks in it.

joysleep1
07-12-20, 21:43

What do you mean access content. I will just use this hardrive to load all my movies and stuff. Plus recordings and pictures from years that we have

joysleep1
07-12-20, 21:44
Invest in a NAS and all E2 boxes will be able to record to it and watch content from it. Mine has 36 Tb of hard disks in it.

Thing is. I domt really need a nas because all enigma 2 receivers can access each others stuff and so my box already behaves like a nas. Esp because I can use Samba to manage where I put my content.

cactikid
07-12-20, 21:51

Bloody hell m8 think we might need to see a photo of that,is it a raid you have with how many inserts.?

adm
07-12-20, 23:15
Next question is that i plan on moving my current 4tb hardrive and putting it into this receiver and i plan on getting a bigger one. Is there a size limit for my ultimo 4k receiver in what hardrive it will accept. I would like to get a 12tb in the future.

If it's an internal disk just be careful to also check the physical size of the disk. Larger capacity 2.5" disks are often twice the height of the smaller capacity 2.5" disks.

joysleep1
07-12-20, 23:44
If it's an internal disk just be careful to also check the physical size of the disk. Larger capacity 2.5" disks are often twice the height of the smaller capacity 2.5" disks.

Well its going to be a standard 3.5inch hdd. Physical size won't be an issue but I just don't know if these receivers have a max hdd limit?

BrokenUnusableAccount
08-12-20, 03:17
OK this is complicated to explain. The ethernet cable goes behind the wall into an other room where the router will be. I csn not feed another cable because a large cupboard is now blocking that hole. So I was hoping a simple USB WiFi dongle would work. Is this possible?

A gigabit switch won't work because the ethernet cable is now going to be used for something else and that's the only feed directly from the router.

It's not going to be connected to the router anymore?

There are supposed to be some USB Wi-Fi dongles that work with OpenViX but I don't know the details.

joysleep1
08-12-20, 10:45
It's not going to be connected to the router anymore?

There are supposed to be some USB Wi-Fi dongles that work with OpenViX but I don't know the details.

The modem will deactivate the lan ports and so the ethernet will go from the router through the wall and to the router the other side. I would like to avoid homeplugs because this adds extra wires and i have already set up trunkings to hide the wires.

Thats why i was hoping someone can suggest a wifi dongle. It will have good signal because the router is just in the next room.

joysleep1
08-12-20, 10:45
Does anyone have a larger than 4tb HDD in their receiver?

ccs
08-12-20, 11:01
As has already been said, use a switch, this will effectively increase the number of ethernet ports you can connect to your router.

Maybe post a simple diagram of what you've currently got.

Here's a dongle, but's it's a very old thread....,

https://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?44318-TM-Nano-3T-Dual-Band-Wireless-Dongle&p=345447&viewfull=1#post345447

2.4Mhz is often more stable than 5Mhz, but conditions vary, I guess.

joysleep1
08-12-20, 11:13
As has already been said, use a switch, this will effectively increase the number of ethernet ports you can connect to your router.

You dont seem to understand that a switch is not required. I dont need more ports for my router. The receiver is is my parents bedroom. Currently there is a lan cable going from where the receiver is to the router. However i am getting virgin installed soon and the virgin HUB will be situated in my parents room because that is where the virgin cable is sitting. I cant move that cable anywhere because its already pinned against the wall. So i plan to use this cable i now have from the hub into the router. (making the hub modem only mode)

I cant add any more wires because the router is in a diff room and there is a cupboard now blocking that hole we have made.

I ideally do not want a homeplug because we have already hidden all the wires and i dont want to make more.

That is why i am asking if there is any compatible wifi dongle that can be used with these receivers. There are a bunch of wifi drivers that are available on VIX but i have no idea which dongle these products are.
So does anyone here use a wifi dongle to connect to the network?

joysleep1
08-12-20, 11:22

Here's a dongle, but's it's a very old thread....,

https://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?44318-TM-Nano-3T-Dual-Band-Wireless-Dongle&p=345447&viewfull=1#post345447

2.4Mhz is often more stable than 5Mhz, but conditions vary, I guess.

Thanks for that

Dunno how easy it would be to get that product. Let me have a look now

ronand
08-12-20, 11:29
There are 8 wires in a CAT5 cable but only 2 pairs (4 cables) are actually used. You can easily convert the single cable that you have to a twin socket - you just need to do it at both ends. In case studying the wiring diagrams is too much for you then you can get splitters like this
amazon.co.uk/dp/B07BVNF6C9/ref=sspa_dk_detail_2?psc=1&pd_rd_i=B07BVNF6C9&pd_rd_w=rJpWV&pf_rd_p=1055d8b2-c10c-4d7d-b50d-96300553e15d&pd_rd_wg=Y8qz9&pf_rd_r=DCBQPQMH8WBX0RN56PE8&pd_rd_r=55dc2261-0ba3-4bd3-8244-37c8a4f1f000&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUExQ0s3RDcyUVNDTDAwJ mVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwNTYyNjMyMVowUDFZRFZKTjZOSyZlbmN yeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwOTI5MzMxMjBVSlJYNjZDTkpNMCZ3aWRnZ XROYW1lPXNwX2RldGFpbCZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZ kb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

You must use them at both ends and will work at 100Mbs speed.

ccs
08-12-20, 11:29
You dont seem to understand that a switch is not required. I dont need more ports for my router.

Ok, but your latest description of what's actually going to happen is a bit different from post #1.

joysleep1
08-12-20, 11:33
Ok, but your latest description of what's actually going to happen is a bit different from post #1.

Yes sorry i agree bad. Apologies. Just very confusing to explain the sitation

joysleep1
08-12-20, 11:37
There are 8 wires in a CAT5 cable but only 2 pairs (4 cables) are actually used. You can easily convert the single cable that you have to a twin socket - you just need to do it at both ends. In case studying the wiring diagrams is too much for you then you can get splitters like this
amazon.co.uk/dp/B07BVNF6C9/ref=sspa_dk_detail_2?psc=1&pd_rd_i=B07BVNF6C9&pd_rd_w=rJpWV&pf_rd_p=1055d8b2-c10c-4d7d-b50d-96300553e15d&pd_rd_wg=Y8qz9&pf_rd_r=DCBQPQMH8WBX0RN56PE8&pd_rd_r=55dc2261-0ba3-4bd3-8244-37c8a4f1f000&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUExQ0s3RDcyUVNDTDAwJ mVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwNTYyNjMyMVowUDFZRFZKTjZOSyZlbmN yeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwOTI5MzMxMjBVSlJYNjZDTkpNMCZ3aWRnZ XROYW1lPXNwX2RldGFpbCZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZ kb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

You must use them at both ends and will work at 100Mbs speed.

Thanks abu but the reviews on that look pretty poor and i would want gigabit connection ideally. I was just hoping for more dongle that i can get but the one CCS posted is a bit rare right now.

If there is guidance or a table of which ones would work that would be very helpful.

joysleep1
08-12-20, 11:42
So yh i could just buy a single bay NAS and insert a large TB 3.5 inch HDD and i can access all my movie files and other stuff like that but it would be exactly the same thing if its installed into the receiver instead.

With a NAS i have to find a place to store it next to GIGABIT connection and then buy the HDD and NAS seprately.
Is there anyway i can know if the receiver has a MAX HDD limit.

Thanks

ccs
08-12-20, 12:15
Is there anyway i can know if the receiver has a MAX HDD limit.

Another old quote, don't quote me if it doesn't work for you. :)

Hi,

Linux/E2 can handle 8TB 3.5 drives so Linux does not care. I meant you will not be able to purchase an internal 2.5 hdd >2TB at the moment.

ciao

https://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?50213-SSD-drives&p=390931&viewfull=1#post390931

Google....

I'm using Vu+ Ultimo4K with OpenATV image and Seagate 3.5, 8TB, SATA3, BarraCuda Hard Drive, 5400RPM, 256MB Cache.

I did not put the drive in a PC, the new drive came out of the packaging and straight into the Ultimo4K.

I initialised the drive with the following settings, EXT4, 1 partition.

All 8TB is available.

joysleep1
08-12-20, 17:18
Another old quote, don't quote me if it doesn't work for you. :)

https://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?50213-SSD-drives&p=390931&viewfull=1#post390931

Google....

Oh that is very helpful .

Thanks

Now just need get a compatible dongle. has anyone purchased the dongle from the sponsor to work for their receiver. I klnow it is not dual band but would like some reviews on it