PDA

View Full Version : vix 2.0 wont recognise my portable usb drive...

moogwai
13-02-11, 23:05
hi fellas...after a bit of help. Just installed vix 2.0 on my duo and now the box wont pick my usb hard drive in the media player menu although it shows up on the devices manager menu.....where i formatted the drive! I have put a couple of avi files aswell as mkv files on there to try,but its a no go! any ideas what it might be?
cheers.

niteman1969
13-02-11, 23:09
You should be able to just change the mountpoint and reboot, but in case that does not work
then see my answer on this post : http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?6351-Desperate-EPG-prob-pls-help
You shouldn't have to reformat your drive..
Just add the line that i said but add it as /media/hdd instead of /media/usb

moogwai
13-02-11, 23:22
thanks niteman.....i'll see if i can tackle that tomorrow

moogwai
14-02-11, 21:55
rootfs / auto defaults 1 1
proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
devpts /dev/pts devpts mode=0620,gid=5 0 0
usbfs /proc/bus/usb usbfs defaults 0 0
tmpfs /var/volatile tmpfs defaults 0 0
tmpfs /dev/shm tmpfs mode=0777 0 0

/dev/sda1 /media/hdd auto defaults 0 0
/dev/sdb1 /media/HDD auto defaults 0 0

where in that line do i add the number for my portable hard drive mate? thanks.

moogwai
14-02-11, 22:10
and this is what i get for sdb1 when i type in "blkid"
UUI D=" 343E8E9A3E8E5530"
do i add the whole line or just the numbers??

niteman1969
14-02-11, 23:42
if you dont have an internal hdd delete the /dev/sda1 line.
also delete the /dev/sdb1 line

add the line completely including the - signs inbetween the groups of letters numbers
it should look something like this cant remember where the - signs split the numbers
so this is just an example, must be exactly as the blkid gives you

UUID=343e-8e9a-328e-5530 /media/hdd auto defaults 0 0

if you do have an internal hard drive then leave the /dev/sda1 line in and delete the /dev/sdb1 line
and add

UUID=343e-8e9a-328e-5530 /media/hdd1 auto defaults 0 0
or
UUID=343e-8e9a-328e-5530 /media/usb auto defaults 0 0

if you want to use it like a usb memory stick....

niteman1969
15-02-11, 09:50
Actually looking at your fstab again you have 2 devices called /media/hdd and /media/HDD
it may be a lot easier if you delete the sda1 line only and make the sdb1 line /media/hdd

Only if you are not using an internal hard drive though.

moogwai
15-02-11, 17:05
hi niteman...ive managed to sort it now.....i am using an internal hard drive so i mounted the drive as being UUID=343e-8e9a-328e-5530 /media/usb auto defaults 0 0 as you said and it worked!!
thanks for your help,its most appreciated.

niteman1969
15-02-11, 21:31
Nice to hear you got it sorted mate.
Hope you're enjoying your vu+

Regards

Niteman1969

moogwai
15-02-11, 23:09
yeah the vu is great....ive had it since november,by far the best one ive had...compared to the crappy spiderbox and the decent eagle box!

niteman1969
16-02-11, 13:07
was never tempted by the spiderbox but have owned the eagle box and it was rock solid
even used a mac changing firmware to change the mac code of the eagle to the standard
dmm type mac address so that it was safe from clone bombs.

moogwai
16-02-11, 23:42
yeah eagle was good.....ideal first satellite box for anyone learning how to do all the stuff that can be done.....the spiderbox would be a brilliant box for people who dont understand how to use the things that enigma can do,even people who didn't know anything about satellite stuff were getting set up and viewing in 10 mins.....but there is such a bad freezing issue with cccam it just got unbearable,might have improved now....not used mine since november.

moogwai
16-02-11, 23:44
i mean i'm no expert and i beleive i dont know half the things that the vu can do......and i get so confused about reading about swap managers and barry allen and such like stuff which is way out of my league of being able to take stuff in!!

basilyoung
17-02-11, 00:10
interesting comments, but if it helps,...barry allen is a added on software, that enables the unit to run multiple images

swap file manager, works like a "clip board" in that it helps out the memory of the unit

baz

Prioryman
17-02-11, 15:14
Guy's I have the USB Stick working great, however when I plug in a USB hard drive ( has my movies on it ) I cannot get Ver 2.0 to see it. Internal hard is fine - USB Stick is fine, but on matter what I do to try and mount it nothing shows.

Any ideas??

silverfox0786
17-02-11, 15:17
how many drivves u got connected

as you have media/hdd
media/usb

do to device manager and look at what it is and set it to either media/hdd2 or media/usb2

i have managed to mount 3 drives quite easily

Prioryman
17-02-11, 16:05
Thanks for quick reply.

Main Hard drive in machine is: media/hdd

USB Stick ( for Epg/T-Shift is: media/usb

No matter what I do changing it to media/hdd2 or media/usb2 - fails to work. It can see it in the Setup/VIX/Device Manager and it shows as mounted, however when I try media player the drive does not show. I have rebooted - left it for 10 minutes - changed to hdd2 still the same. I have tried another USB drive incase it was faultly and the same thing happens

Thing is I had this working on the old image. 1.3

Help anyone...............

silverfox0786
17-02-11, 16:55
Thanks for quick reply.

Main Hard drive in machine is: media/hdd

USB Stick ( for Epg/T-Shift is: media/usb

No matter what I do changing it to media/hdd2 or media/usb2 - fails to work. It can see it in the Setup/VIX/Device Manager and it shows as mounted, however when I try media player the drive does not show. I have rebooted - left it for 10 minutes - changed to hdd2 still the same. I have tried another USB drive incase it was faultly and the same thing happens

Thing is I had this working on the old image. 1.3

Help anyone...............

if it can be seen in device manager then it is there i had this problem once too

the only thing you can doo is loose yr data and repartition it and reinitialise it then it will be seen

Prioryman
17-02-11, 17:19
if it can be seen in device manager then it is there i had this problem once too

the only thing you can doo is loose yr data and repartition it and reinitialise it then it will be seen

Don't want to do that as it's nearly a 1tb drive of movies. I will try another drive again that I can format se if that works. Seams very ood as it was working 100% in old version.

Thanks for help