View Full Version : Sending parcel from UK to ROI

ronand
17-11-20, 17:50
Any update cheers.

Why not use addresspal?

cactikid
17-11-20, 18:09
Why not use addresspal?

Never used or familiar with them but want to see if its all sat tuners as thinking cable tuner with f connectors in photo.

ronand
17-11-20, 18:52
It will be the cheapest way to get it across the pond.

JonMMM
17-11-20, 19:31
Why not use addresspal?

Might be confused but is that not for shipping between the USA and the UK?

The seller is in the UK and CactKid is in ROI so not sure that AddressPal works

ccs
17-11-20, 19:33
Ireland should be ok.

cactikid
17-11-20, 19:34
Should do as bookmarked the link.D day the crap happens in 1st jan.

https://addresspal.anpost.ie/how-it-works?gclid=Cj0KCQiAhs79BRD0ARIsAC6XpaUds-UGHIFVU8N3aoMkkaekh3nDunivEAj_b_g96CqikQqJuKRsd9Ia AnRGEALw_wcB

ronand
17-11-20, 19:46
Might be confused but is that not for shipping between the USA and the UK?

The seller is in the UK and CactKid is in ROI so not sure that AddressPal works

You are confused. Its for shipping to Ireland cheaply from the Uk or the USA. €3.95 per parcel

JonMMM
17-11-20, 21:44
You are confused. Its for shipping to Ireland cheaply from the Uk or the USA. €3.95 per parcel

OK fair enough but the web site does not really show that

Joe_90
18-11-20, 01:38
I've used Addresspal many times from UK to Ireland. Works fine providing you're not in a rush. You pay €3.95 at local Post Office and pick up your parcel. It will all go "pear-shaped" from January 1st, though, when customs duty kicks in. You have to pre-register a credit card and pay a higher price for home delivery plus whatever duty/VAT is imposed.

Sicilian
18-11-20, 06:15
Another one is Parcel Motel. Note though from January 1st purchases from the UK will subject to VAT on import to Ireland, but our Irish friends will be able to purchase excluding VAT.

ronand
18-11-20, 12:33
We will be able to buy ex vat from the UK from Jan 1st but it will be slapped on at 23% on entry. Services like addresspal will make it compulsory to have all taxes paid. Addresspal works ok - usually around 4 days to cross the pond but I couldn't recommend parcel motel unless they have upped their game.

Joe_90
18-11-20, 13:01
It's not just VAT (anything of value over €22). As the UK will be ex-EU at that stage, customs duty will be slapped on for various categories of goods with value over a certain limit (currently €150). It will be similar to importing from the US and electronic items are particularly checked. If VAT is going to be charged at point of import, then the Post Office will also levy a handling charge.:eek:

Sicilian
18-11-20, 14:25
There should be no duties on media streamers, receivers etc... only the VAT to pay on import and any courier charges if any.

cactikid
18-11-20, 18:35
Registered on AddressPal now and can assume next year any purchases from WOS might be dearer.Cheers

world-of-satellite.co.uk
19-11-20, 08:32
Registered on AddressPal now and can assume next year any purchases from WOS might be dearer.Cheers

Prices will be the same, just excluding VAT for orders outside of the UK. Shipping will go up slightly. I think DHL so far have announced a £4.50 customs clearance charge, DPD still yet to announce, but there's talk of around £3.50 customs clearance charge.

We're currently working on a new online store so our customers outside of the UK can easily order excluding VAT.

cactikid
23-11-20, 18:21
@fat-tony can you clarify on the addressPal that you used please,do all i need to do is send my addressPal details to the person i am buying it off and is is it collected from them or where is it left and any fees needed to be paid their side to get it posted.
I know i have to pay a collection fee at post office as thats my assigned collection point.
Many Thanks as might help a few others also.

ronand
23-11-20, 18:28
You give your addresspal address to the sender and they post/courier the box to that address. Addresspal will take it from Hatfield and it will end up at your chosen P.O. and then you will receive an sms & email to collect. It is critical that the AP code is used on the address. You pay €3.95 cash at the post office when collecting. You can also get it delivered direct to your home for a higher fee.

It won't cost the sender any different than posting to any other UK address.

cactikid
23-11-20, 18:32
No point in getting sent to home as not there and would miss them.So they drop it into their post office i take it?

ronand
23-11-20, 18:38
Yep. Just make sure to use the correct address - Post Office/Collection Point

cactikid
23-11-20, 18:45
@ronand yes i have it on my saved contact many thanks might save some heartache at both ends,Many Thanks.

cactikid
23-11-20, 20:52
Just had an email off them as expecting a prize from UK and e7.49 was deducted from my account,wonder if i will be paying more for collection at post office?

ronand
23-11-20, 21:30
I've no idea what you are on about. Is this the website you were on h**s://addresspal.anpost.ie/ ?

cactikid
23-11-20, 21:53
@ronand yes them as as a prize i won was getting sent over by them dearer than they said on signing up.

Ahh found the pricing page which say 2.5kg is e7.49 from uk as forgot size and weight alters the price.

ronand
23-11-20, 21:59
You have definitely lost me. Its €3.95 for up to 20kg.

Edit - you are looking at the home delivery prices - ignore them

cactikid
23-11-20, 23:55
I lost myself as address is my local post office,ahh scrolled down yes i was looking at wrong one and now see post office ,Cheers again

Joe_90
24-11-20, 13:01
@cactikid - sorry only seeing this now, but @ronand answered the query fully.
Adresspal has changed their whole setup and pricing model as a result of the UK leaving the EU on Jan 1st next:(

When I (and probably ronand) signed up for Addresspal originally, I just provided my name/address and email and phone number to An Post. I got a drop address in the UK so that I can use it when shopping on a website to avail of free delivery in the UK or provide a cheaper alternative to sellers to courier items to. Then, once or twice a week, the parcels are collected from the UK and delivered to my local Post Office. When they arrive I get a text/email from An Post to say the goods have arrived. I go down, pay my €3.95 and collect the goodies!

From Jan 1st, the UK becomes the same as the US from a duty/VAT point of view, so An Post require you to register a payment card of some sort so they can extract the relevant VAT (and duty if applicable) and charge you a service fee for so doing. The also give you the option of home delivery which was only available in the past for their US Addresspal. The An Post website for Addresspal is a model of how to communicate these changes very badly...

ronand
24-11-20, 13:13
The An Post website for Addresspal is a model of how to communicate these changes very badly...

You should see the comms from the UK company that handles the packages in Hatfield - thats another story. I got an email from them because the clown that posted the package in the first place couldn't write the AP number on it. Addresspal were trying to track who the parcel was for as there seemingly are a few of the same name on their system which is fair enough. Their email was just a copy/paste of logos and embedded links and non-working email addresses and just looked like a scam. But the package did arrive and addresspal has saved me a few quid over the fast few years. I got 100m of rg58 coax over for €3.95 but it cost €9 to send 10m of it to a friend in Athlone.