PDA

View Full Version : Researching the Z8 Pro

DigitalAardvark
14-11-20, 08:40
My first look at media streaming. I'm wondering why this box has not been upgraded to the newer Android 9. I'm not technically in the know, I just am not wanting to purchase something that is not running the latest technology.

Sicilian
14-11-20, 12:02
My first look at media streaming. I'm wondering why this box has not been upgraded to the newer Android 9. I'm not technically in the know, I just am not wanting to purchase something that is not running the latest technology.

Why would Android 9.0 make it any better? IPTV devices that I've tested with Android 9 are buggy and slow zapping. Android 7.0 on the Z8 is fast and stable which is most important.

DigitalAardvark
14-11-20, 12:48
Thanks for that, totally understand about the stability and choice of proven apps. My reason for asking was that I understand that Google has stopped supporting V7 and for over half a year now new Samsung phones are being shipped with V9.

Thanks again

ronand
14-11-20, 13:14
What do mean by Google support? Access to the play store?? My mrs still uses an old phone with 4.2.2 on it and has full access to everything. Yes there may be a few apps that wont work but thats nothing to do with google. Samsung will ship their high end phones with the latest version to try to flog them as there is usually very little difference in features otherwise.

DigitalAardvark
14-11-20, 13:31
Thanks ronand, just using Google as a yardstick. Because of the phrase ' not supporting anymore' which I read online, this meaning to me the beginning of the end of this version. I feel that I have been bitten many times by the likes of the big boys (microsoft, google spring to mind and laptop builders) announce that they are stopping supporting operating systems and software and I'm a chunk of my Media system not working properly anymore.

Thanks again.
This box is in the lead at the moment for me.

DigitalAardvark
14-11-20, 13:44
AS a footnote. I have been looking at the other offering on the World of Satellite as well and the nvidia Shield (Android V9)

ronand
14-11-20, 14:06
I suppose Microsoft and Apple are the biggest culprits at forcing obsolescence. Android doesn't suffer from it as much - as long as Google can harvest data from your usage then they are happy. Sometimes changes are forced due to DRM upgrades from the likes of Netflix but there is no such thing as a futureproof device.

Andy_Hazza
14-11-20, 14:37
I have the Shield and the Formuler z8 Pro and the Formuler z8 Pro is fantastic for IPTV. It has it’s own IPTV app called MYTVOnline2 which is tailored for Formuler.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DigitalAardvark
14-11-20, 16:24
Agree with everything you say. A few replys have helped me, thanks to everybody.
The android version my final hurdle, and the answer not surprising but reinforced my normal attitude of going with the proven and stable.

mr.raw
14-11-20, 22:01
I have had a few Formuler boxes, none as powerful as the Z8 pro. MYTVONLINE works very well.
I now lean towards this brand more than a mag. Same kind of price for some models and much more versatile.

I use a 2020 Nvidia Shield myself but the Z8 Pro is a serious bit of kit.

JonMMM
15-11-20, 20:38
A 4k Firestick or the new Chormcast with Google TV with Tivimate installed great for IPTV a lot cheaper and IMO better

Andy_Hazza
15-11-20, 20:43
A 4k Firestick or the new Chormcast with Google TV with Tivimate installed great for IPTV a lot cheaper and IMO better

LOL

I Don’t Think So........

Sicilian
16-11-20, 07:30

You have got to be kidding right? I've tested so many apps on a Firestick, none compare with have full remote functionallity of the Formuler range. None offer the same user experiance of MYTVOnline or MYTVOnline 2. I've even tested rip offs of Formulers MYTVOnline app, none can compare or offer the same functionality.

v8rick
16-11-20, 09:11
LOL

I Don’t Think So........

Me Neither

JonMMM
16-11-20, 11:25
have any of you actually tried Tivimate, its a fantastic app, MyTVOnline is good but Tivimate is better

Andy_Hazza
16-11-20, 11:42
It’s not Tivimate we were questioning...........

Sicilian
16-11-20, 13:28
have any of you actually tried Tivimate, its a fantastic app, MyTVOnline is good but Tivimate is better

Yes and I've paid for premium apps, none can compare with the functionality of MYTVOnline 2 and a full remote.

v8rick
16-11-20, 16:16

Tried Tivimate a few times got pro but think I'm to used to MYTVonline I intend to try again but it always seems to take longer to load and can't get on
with the black layout (bad eyes) and its not as easy to use menu

mr.raw
16-11-20, 16:57
A 4k Firestick or the new Chormecast with Google TV with Tivimate installed great for IPTV a lot cheaper and IMO better

I love the 4k Firestick and IPTV works amazing on it.
Done loads for friends etc.

I am sure it works great for you but for me the Z8 Pro is just different class.
£124 is quite pricey for a box but it really is a superior device.

All down to personal choice, but if the budget exists then the likes of the Z8 Pro/ Nvidia Shield are simply a class above.

JonMMM
16-11-20, 19:31
Got the Z7+ form the sponsor a while back and was disappointed with not getting MyTVonline 2 from formula, hence saying either the new chromecast with Google TV and Tivimate will do the job, and will stay updated

Sicilian
16-11-20, 21:02
Got the Z7+ form the sponsor a while back and was disappointed with not getting MyTVonline 2 from formula, hence saying either the new chromecast with Google TV and Tivimate will do the job, and will stay updated

The Z7+ has never been spec'd for MYTVOnline 2, but still gets bug fixes and updates.

Last was in September:

https://www.formuler.tv/single-post/september-2020-mytvonline-1-software-update

JonMMM
17-11-20, 08:55
The Z7+ has never been spec'd for MYTVOnline 2, but still gets bug fixes and updates.

Last was in September:

https://www.formuler.tv/single-post/september-2020-mytvonline-1-software-update

Never said that MyOnlineTV 2 was supported on the Z7+ thats sort of my point in that they seem to be a company that don't put new features into old models but instead make you buy the new hardware So with the new GTV coming out I would not expect anything new on the Z8, dont get me wrong there will be bug fixes but no new features, at least that is what happened with the Z7 when the Z8 came out.

they are a nice bit of kit, just that every year or 2 they bring out a new model with new features that do not get pasted on the older models. At least with Firesticks this is not the case.

Same goes for E2 boxes my ET8500 is very old now but still has the lasest version on Vix on it.

Andy_Hazza
17-11-20, 09:22
Never said that MyOnlineTV 2 was supported on the Z7+ thats sort of my point in that they seem to be a company that don't put new features into old models but instead make you buy the new hardware So with the new GTV coming out I would not expect anything new on the Z8, dont get me wrong there will be bug fixes but no new features, at least that is what happened with the Z7 when the Z8 came out.

they are a nice bit of kit, just that every year or 2 they bring out a new model with new features that do not get pasted on the older models. At least with Firesticks this is not the case.

Same goes for E2 boxes my ET8500 is very old now but still has the lasest version on Vix on it.

Not a valid point, sorry. So what about the Samsung smart fones, the iPhones etc, they release new models year after year. It’s life and, new chipsets get introduced year after year. Otherwise you’ll be at a standstill in life, how boring would that be!

Sicilian
17-11-20, 10:39

Why not? Z+ Neo, Z Alpha and Z8 have all been getting the same updates and new features.

You could say the same about Apple, LG, Samsung.... the list could be endless. You say you have the latest ViX image on your ET8500, but when was the last driver update to fix any outstanding issues?

You can't really compare the hardware of a Firestick to a Z8 etc... they're just not in the same league.

Anyway you have you opinion, others have theirs and the op has enough info to make a decision :)