PDA

View Full Version : Why Do I Need To Install A New Image ?

lammy1961
13-02-11, 15:14
Here goes. I have had my VU+ Duo for about 8 months and it still has the image I installed back then (VTI 1.3) everything works just fine apart from at times when I start messing about with it......But if I leave well alone, it runs just fine......Now I have read about all the new images out there (latest VIX appeals to me or Black Hole)
Getting back to my topic title "Why Do I Need To Install A New Image ?"
What advantages would I gain if I were to take the plunge ?

Thanks as always.

Larry-G
13-02-11, 15:17
simple answer is you dont.

if your box works for you and your happy with it as is then by all means stick with it. however most people like to experiment and see exactly what they can do with their receiver, thats the beauty of a linux based receiver. your not just limited to what the manufacturer tells you, you must do with it. you can change almost every thing about the way it works to suit you.

t.ph
13-02-11, 15:18
Its all about personal choice & these Linux boxes are all ongoing projects trying to make it better all the time

satmanbasil
13-02-11, 15:40
Hi mate

When any image is produced the next stage normally is to improve and get rid of any bugs but as mentioned above all down to how you feel about the image your using, if your happy and the upgrade does not contain any improvements that you need then stick with what you got

steford
13-02-11, 15:46
I'd say the benefits are bug fixes and new features (including performance). There's the fun of having something "new" to play with also. Problems are reconfiguration and any teething problems with the image. If the problems outweigh the benefits for your setup then stick with what you have. I like to upgrade ASAP but I never do it the same day I want to watch football, for example, just in case.

Sicilian
13-02-11, 19:42
Dont forget driver updates in newer images.

niteman1969
13-02-11, 22:58
Driver updates, fixes, new features and better performance, including better
picture quality and dts passthru in vix 2.0 but if you are happy with what you
have and it does what you want, then its all good.

lammy1961
14-02-11, 22:08
Thanks for all the replies, I will take all the advice onboard before I comit.

Thank you.