PDA

View Full Version : [VU+ Solo4K] Network Problem

db49er
15-10-20, 15:44
I notice that there is another thread about network mounts but not sure that this is the same problem so have started this one.

I have my boxes on the same LAN and used to be able to watch recordings from each HDD on other boxes. When I did a network scan it would pick-up everything on the LAN such as computer, iPhone, iPad etc. but since upgrade it only finds my modem and router. I can still access boxes from my computer but not from each other. Interestingly I have to disable DHCP and enter IP addresses manually.

Any help much appreciated.

Joe_90
15-10-20, 16:09
You generally cannot browse network shares using current versions of samba. You have to specify IP address of share and have userid and password set. It's due to increased security requirements of SMB.

bellejt
15-10-20, 16:24
strange because if I do a network scan here I see al my boxes,computers and nas on the boxes in my network.All possible to mount in NFS without settings of a password.I can mount all HDD in that network on every box without restrictions or password settings.

Joe_90
15-10-20, 16:47
NFS is a different protocol to SMB. There is no security on NFS. You may not need any in a domestic network, providing you do not allow remote access.

db49er
17-10-20, 09:41
Still struggling with this. Have reserved IP's on router, based on box MAC addresses. Solo 4K will connect via WLAN but not LAN and Uno 4K SE does not have wifi. Therefore assume new security is not the problem?

twol
17-10-20, 10:09
NFS is a different protocol to SMB. There is no security on NFS. You may not need any in a domestic network, providing you do not allow remote access.
?? On my Synology NAS you can restrict to specific (or range of) IP addresses.

tappari
17-10-20, 10:12
I notice that there is another thread about network mounts but not sure that this is the same problem so have started this one.

I have my boxes on the same LAN and used to be able to watch recordings from each HDD on other boxes. When I did a network scan it would pick-up everything on the LAN such as computer, iPhone, iPad etc. but since upgrade it only finds my modem and router. I can still access boxes from my computer but not from each other. Interestingly I have to disable DHCP and enter IP addresses manually.

Any help much appreciated.

In each box you should first go to Network/Utilities/NFS and start it.
What each box shares depends of /etc/exports file. I have there:

/media/hdd/movie *(rw,no_root_squash,sync)
/media/hdd2/ *(rw,no_root_squash,sync)

That hdd2 I have because my boxes have also usb drives as hdd2

Joe_90
17-10-20, 11:37
?? On my Synology NAS you can restrict to specific (or range of) IP addresses.

Hi @twol - that's about the limit to what you can do with NFS. It's sort of "security by obscurity". Don't get me wrong - in a domestic environment which has no internet-facing ports it's probably adequate unless you need some fine-grained control to keep other home LAN users from accessing private material. In that case SMB can provide much better control of who is allowed to access what using password authentication. I used a QNAP NAS for years and it was great in how flexible the control was in controlling access. It drove me nuts, though, in that it would spin up the disks at all hours of the day and night without any apparent reason. I eventually got rid of it and I now use an Odroid N2 running ubuntu to act as a samba server. Total control :D

db49er
17-10-20, 12:01
Thank you.
Have NFS and SAMBA running and have disabled DCHP and entered IP addresses manually. After network scan each box can see Modem, Router and Computer but not each other or anything else.

bmitie
17-10-20, 14:45
How did you do the upgrade? Methinks you should have done a settings restore as it looks as if something is missing. I had a problem with 5.039 and did a re-flash but did not opt for settings restore until a bit into the re-flash. It worked, I wont upgrade for a good while

ccs
17-10-20, 14:53
Thank you.
Have NFS and SAMBA running and have disabled DCHP and entered IP addresses manually. After network scan each box can see Modem, Router and Computer but not each other or anything else.

Try a rescan in Network Browser, I picked up a box which was missing the first time.

db49er
17-10-20, 16:36
I flashed all my boxes from usb without a settings restore but am pretty sure that I have put everything back the way it was.

Network Browser is what I am using to scan......I did not know there was a different way.

bmitie
17-10-20, 18:24
Can you go back to old version and wait until new image settles down.

db49er
18-10-20, 08:09
I will just live with it for the time being.
Thanks

bmitie
18-10-20, 23:25
out of interest did you set up a new password when you upgraded image?

db49er
20-10-20, 17:03
Yes, I did.

Didn't want to get my wrist slapped by Abu. :smiley_yup:

db49er
10-11-20, 17:29
Update to this situation.

The problem I had with having to enter adapter settings manually was caused by a problem with the way my network was set up. Rectified and DHCP now works automatically, so nothing to do with openvix.

I have been able to connect boxes through Mount Manager by manually entering IP addresses but Network Scan still does not show boxes although it shows other items on the network.

bellejt
10-11-20, 17:43
restart router may help.Are all your equipments in same ip range and workgroup ?

db49er
12-11-20, 09:21
Yes, they are.