PDA

View Full Version : Just flashed latest 5.3.039. Now can't browse files in windows 10.

cliver1956
06-10-20, 20:57
Hi,
I have just flashed the lates vix image 5.3.039 as a clean usb install.
Now I can't browse my files in windows 10 file explorer.
I can SSH into the cmd line with Putty.
If I put the ip address into file explorer it opens up fine.
I have SAMBA installed and running.
I seem to remeber having a problem like this when I forst set it up but can't find a fix here or elsewhere.
I have seen other threads on the same issue but non give any answer as to how to set it up.
Is there a guide to setting this up anywhere or can anyone give me some ideas?
Any input appreciated.

kryton
06-10-20, 22:01
I think i read the other day that you now have to set your own Password before you can view files on your box.

abu baniaz
06-10-20, 22:12
See here
https://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?62010-VUULTIMO4K-Harddisk-File-Sharing-Server

I am pretty sure yo have to do an opkg update before installing samba, otherwise it fails.

cliver1956
06-10-20, 22:13
@Kryton Do you mean a password for the root user, or set up a new user/password?

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

cliver1956
06-10-20, 22:20
@Abu Banias, thanks I'll try that. Although I'm not sure my issue is the same because samba is running.

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

abu baniaz
06-10-20, 22:28
From what I can tell from the various threads that pop up from time to time, there is a dependency that gets missed if an opkg update is not done first. So Samba shows as it is running, but one of the dependencies is missing so it does not work.

So try:

opkg update

then

opkg install packagegroup-base-smbfs-server

If that kicks up an error, try the following:

opkg --force-reinstall packagegroup-base-smbfs-server

Restart and check again

kryton
06-10-20, 23:23
Sorry i had just scanned through the post quickly.
Was at work, it was to do with FTP that i saw...i think.

ronand
06-10-20, 23:27
That is for the next image release (5.4.x) - the ftp password will be mandatory

cliver1956
07-10-20, 09:54
From what I can tell from the various threads that pop up from time to time, there is a dependency that gets missed if an opkg update is not done first. So Samba shows as it is running, but one of the dependencies is missing so it odes not work.

So try:

opkg update

then

opkg install packagegroup-base-smbfs-server

Restart and check again

That worked a treat, thanks abu baniaz.