PDA

View Full Version : Accessing Files on PC (Windows 7)

dna1409
12-02-11, 23:36
Hello,

I am having problems accessing my files on PC from my VU+ Duo. I have tried adding a network mount using mount manager but cant get it to work. I have also tried using the network browser to view shared folders on my PC (this has worked for me before), i can see my pc but when i expand it shows nothing. I can access my VU+ and the HDD in the VU+ via my PC but not visa versa.

I am using Windows 7 Professional 32bit. I have disabled windows firewall and closed my third party software firewall (comodo firewall). To share the folders i used the Sharing tab in properties and added 'Everyone' to the permissions and given full control. I have also selected not to use password to connect to this PC in the network sharing settings.

Im pulling my hair out over this, i have re-flashed my VU+ box twice now thinking it might be the image but no joy. I presume it is something on my PC i am not doing right as i can access box from PC, its just when i try to access the PC. Has anyone got any ideas because im out? :(

Thanks in advance!

DnA1409.

Sicilian
13-02-11, 11:06
Have you enabled sharing in Network and Sharing Centre?

dna1409
13-02-11, 12:25
Yeah, enabled file sharing, turned on public folder sharing, not using 128bit encryption and turned off passsword protected sharing.

Ive also tried changing some settings in local group policies. I think it is something that microsoft has changed in windows 7. Bloody Microsoft!

Do you have windows 7 setup, and do you have same issues if so?

dna1409
13-02-11, 15:32
After working on this since 8am this morning (6hrs 30min ago!!!) I have found out that Windows 7 uses a different type of samba (linux network protocol) to the previous versions of windows. I have come accross the latest release of the VTi image and the latest notes state that the latest version includes support for Windows 7 samba, so, looks like i am going to have to try this image to get this to work. Going to install later today, taking a break now - had enough:rolleyes:

rob76
14-02-11, 07:45
Win 7 is a nightmare for sharing. I cried and eventually gave up trying to get media centre on the xbox running... Yes on the xbox!

niteman1969
14-02-11, 08:55
You don't need to use media centre to share with xbox360, all you do is setup your machine as a homegroup server, then turn on 360 browse for pc and connect.

Then start windows media player and add all your media files to the media player library and click
on share with xbox360.

You can close media player once this is done and all your media files will be accessible.

rob76
14-02-11, 11:51
Oh nice one. I'll give that a go.