PDA

View Full Version : [TM-NANO-SE] issue with recording 2 channels simultaneously

itstelboy
21-08-20, 22:02
Technomate TM-Nano-SE Plus - with standard installation skin
Plugin: CrossEPG

Hi, I am having a problem with recording 2 channels at the same time, the problem started after upgrading from V 5.3.030. when the receiver immediately reported Record Timer conflicts if there were 2 recordings sheduled at the same time.
I tried manually recording by putting one channel into record, then selecting a different channel and placing that in record. the second channel refused to record stating there was a conflict with the channel already in record.
At this point I decided I would try a fresh installation without installing the backup file from v5.3.030, this worked perfectly for a few days until I accidentally switched the receiver power off which caused the issue to return. I had performed a settings after first installation so I restored this which repaired the fault.
I decided to test the power down situation once more which immediately returned the fault. With all previous versions I have always been able to power down without any issues.
I don't want to have to keep doing settings backups every time I add or remove timers. So I am left with either returning to version 5.3.030, or running with 5.3.039 until the next update is out to see if the issue is resolved. Unless of course anyone has found a fix, or workaround for this bug.

Many thanks in advance, itstelboy

ccs
21-08-20, 22:05
.... no mention of tuners. How many, what sort, how are they configured?

itstelboy
22-08-20, 15:06
.... no mention of tuners. How many, what sort, how are they configured?

Very sorry! I forgot to enter the tuner info!

2 tuners
Both Tuner A and Tuner B are set to:

Mode: single
Satellite: 28.2 Astra 2E/2F/2G
Send DiSEqC: no
Force legacy signal stats: no

I have only ever used it on Sky 28.2 so have always configured the tuners as above.

Many thanks for getting back to me, I will be glad to supply any further info you require.
Kind regards, itstelboy

itstelboy
22-08-20, 18:12
Sorry forgot to add both tuners are DVB-S2

abu baniaz
22-08-20, 21:40
Do you have signal wires attached to both tuners?

Are you using Timeshift automatically?

itstelboy
23-08-20, 15:52
Do you have signal wires attached to both tuners?

Are you using Timeshift automatically?

Hi thank you for getting back to me, yes I have independant LNB feeds from the dish to both tuners, and Timeshift is not enabled.

Cheers, itstelboy

abu baniaz
23-08-20, 16:31
Are any other devices streaming from the receiver?

bellejt
23-08-20, 16:46
are you watching an other channel while recording ? Then that channel should be in same transponder off either recordings.l

ccs
23-08-20, 16:50
....Streaming clients: Menu/Information/Streaming Clients

If your box is open to the internet, it would explain why switching it off clears the problem for a while.

BrianTheTechieSnail
23-08-20, 17:27
I had a weird problem a few days ago that was perhaps somewhat similar.

I was finding that when a recording was being made the tuner being used for the recording could not be used for anything else at the same time, not even for watching the same channel live.

I think it must have been because I'd been experimenting with the background scanning and namespace sub network settings under Tuner / Miscellaneous.

I think things went back to normal when I put the settings back to their defaults:

ccs
23-08-20, 17:32
.... these are my defaults, a bit different.

BrianTheTechieSnail
23-08-20, 17:37
.... these are my defaults, a bit different.
Yes there are other settings on that page that I don't have set to the defaults and that seems to be fine.
However the background scanning and namespace sub network settings are now back to their defaults.

itstelboy
23-08-20, 18:46
Are any other devices streaming from the receiver?

Hi, No there are no further devices streaming, just the receiver feeding my lounge TV.

Cheers!

ccs
23-08-20, 18:47
Yes there are other settings on that page that I don't have set to the defaults and that seems to be fine.
However the background scanning and namespace sub network settings are now back to their defaults..... hopefully, the OP can see what the defaults actually are from post #11. Once a value has been changed it can be very difficult to work out what the default ever was.

If he has changed any of those settings, it might be worth changing them back to the defaults.

itstelboy
23-08-20, 19:10
Hi ccs,
I must admit I've not tried changing any settings in "Miscellaneous" - Just checked mine and they are slightly different to yours, mine are as set after a clean install. I will try a few changes and see if it cures my problem. When wife's recording permit!

ccs
23-08-20, 19:29
Hi ccs,
I must admit I've not tried changing any settings in "Miscellaneous" - Just checked mine and they are slightly different to yours, mine are as set after a clean install. I will try a few changes and see if it cures my problem. When wife's recording permit!

If you haven't changed them I'd leave well alone.

itstelboy
23-08-20, 20:47
sorry ccs got your post mixed up with Brian. I will take your advice and leave the settings alone

abu baniaz
23-08-20, 23:29
If I were to flash a twin tuner receiver with 5.3 039. Can you detail the exact steps to create the problem. For example:

Select and then start a recording on ITV 4 (on 10758 MHz) for 10 minutes.
Try to add a timer for BBC One (on 10847 MHz) for any length of time. This will trigger the bug.

Can you also attach the following files from /etc/enigma2 on your receiver. settings (you will need to zip before attaching), timers.xml and autotimers.xml.

itstelboy
24-08-20, 11:51
Files attached

itstelboy
24-08-20, 12:43
After flashing the image via usb, I set AutoBouquetMaker for Sky and to my area, then populated the bouquets. I then installed CrossEPG plugin using Sky as its source.
at this point I performed a settings backup.
to test I set 2 timers to record BBC1 and ITV with the same start times. The recordings perform perfectly!
If I then turn the receiver power off wait a few seconds then switch back on, I then repeat the same procedure, however this time when I am setting the second timer I get an error message stating that there is a record conflict with the first timer that I had just set.
However If I restore the saved settings file I am now able to set 2 simultaneous timers again.

An easier way to test is after the initial install select BBC1 press the record button to start a manual record. Then select ITV and again press the record button, it will then happily perform the second recording.
If however I now switch the receiver off, then perform the same procedure, the second recording (ITV) will be refused. Then if once again if I perform a settings restore it will quite happily record the 2 channels.
So the bug appears when the power is switched off then back on.

I tried to keep the install to the basic minimum to rule out any changes to settings.

Many thanks for your continued help, itstelboy

ccs
24-08-20, 12:45
What do you mean by "switch the receiver off"? Are you putting it into deep standby first?

abu baniaz
24-08-20, 12:57
You are confusing things by the settings restore. You should not set things up and then undo it by applying a previous settings.

Please also answer how you are turning the box off.

itstelboy
24-08-20, 13:00
No, I simply switch the power off on the back of the receiver, this has never caused a problem in the past 4 years that I have been using Vix, on 2 separate receivers.
I can re-install Image v 5.3.030 and power down in the same way without any problem too.

bellejt
24-08-20, 13:02
after turning the box on again your recordings resume .That is the problem.Both tuners are in use

ccs
24-08-20, 13:04
To test I set 2 timers to record BBC1 and ITV with the same start times. The recordings perform perfectly!
If I then turn the receiver power off wait a few seconds then switch back on, I then repeat the same procedure, however this time when I am setting the second timer I get an error message stating that there is a record conflict with the first timer that I had just set.

If you shut the box down cleanly (ie deep standby) while timers are still running, they will start up again when you switch the box back on (assuming they are still within the time-frame for the recording). Even powering off at the mains will do the same, but is never advised until the box is shut down properly.

abu baniaz
24-08-20, 13:07
No, I simply switch the power off on the back of the receiver, this has never caused a problem in the past 4 years that I have been using Vix, on 2 separate receivers.
I can re-install Image v 5.3.030 and power down in the same way without any problem too.
You are not meant to do it that way. Timers etc are kept in RAM saved when receiver shuts down properly.

Can you try flashing 5.3 039, use Image Manager instead of USB as it is easier.
After it restart, restore your settings, let it restarat. Install CrossEPG and restart if it isn't installed as part of restore process. Check ABM and run it if needed (shouldnt need to), Check CrossEPG and run it if needed. Restart using remote to make sure everything is saved.

Repeat your recording test.

adm
After flashing the image via usb, I set AutoBouquetMaker for Sky and to my area, then populated the bouquets. I then installed CrossEPG plugin using Sky as its source.
at this point I performed a settings backup.
to test I set 2 timers to record BBC1 and ITV with the same start times. The recordings perform perfectly!
However If I restore the saved settings file I am now able to set 2 simultaneous timers again.

An easier way to test is after the initial install select BBC1 press the record button to start a manual record. Then select ITV and again press the record button, it will then happily perform the second recording.
If however I now switch the receiver off, then perform the same procedure, the second recording (ITV) will be refused. Then if once again if I perform a settings restore it will quite happily record the 2 channels.
So the bug appears when the power is switched off then back on.

I tried to keep the install to the basic minimum to rule out any changes to settings.

Many thanks for your continued help, itstelboy

Before turning off the box off did you delete the two timers you previously enabled? A timer that is set up can continue after an off / on sequence if the program being recorded is still being transmitted.

When switching off (shutting down the box) did you get the warning that you couldn't put the box into deep standby because there was a recording in progress (or pending recording about to start)

itstelboy
I was just performing the restore to see if it made a difference. I could just as easily do another flash install of the image, then power down and back up again. As I have said I've always been able to do this on every image for the past 4 years right up to v 5.3.030. Also there are the odd occasions when my RCD will get triggered which loses power instantly and would cause the same problem.

itstelboy
24-08-20, 13:17
I am not saying that this is my preferred way of operating the receiver, as it is left on permanently and goes into standby at night with a power timer. it's just that I had a power outage that cased this problem to occur, so I set about trying to get to the bottom of what had caused the problem.

itstelboy
24-08-20, 13:28
The problem is present after power is lost to the receiver whether timers are set or not. even if I perform a new flash install, then power down and try to do manual records on 2 different channels the second recording will always throw up an error and refuse to record. So something is triggered by a power loss that has never happened in the past, even recent past with v 5.3 030.

adm
24-08-20, 13:33
I am not saying that this is my preferred way of operating the receiver, as it is left on permanently and goes into standby at night with a power timer. it's just that I had a power outage that cased this problem to occur, so I set about trying to get to the bottom of what had caused the problem.

A short power outage can cause crashed software. If you switch the box off at the mains without first going into deep standby you should ideally wait 60 to 120 seconds before restoring the mains. This time is to allow internal power supplies to fully discharge. If not fully discharged parts of the electronics may be still operational or semi operational while other parts may be inoperative. In this state a clean cold boot may not be possible.

Perhaps in the past you have removed the mains for more than 120 seconds and/or different boxes have different power supply discharge times?

abu baniaz
24-08-20, 13:40
Files attached

The file called "settings" is not attached.

BrianTheTechieSnail
24-08-20, 13:45
You wouldn't do that to your computer.
What makes you think it would be okay to do it to your receiver box.
It is just a computer that's dedicated to receiving, recording and playing back TV.

abu baniaz
24-08-20, 14:02
Just to clarify, 5.3 030 has no problem. and 5.3 031 has it?

If so, these are the commits, there are two commits related to timers. However, we need a definite way to reproduce the bug. I prefer stating the necessary facts and omitting what is not applabale to the specific question.

openvix: release 5.3.031
427975a41d
Wed, 20 May 2020 09:18:55 +0000

openvix: developer 5.3.031.001
a5f892db3e
Tue, 19 May 2020 17:38:25 +0000

estring: add formatNumber function
e4a6cb522f
Sat, 25 Apr 2020 15:10:00 +0300

[Timezones.py] Update to match changed geolocation (#168)
65e04e5835
Tue, 19 May 2020 10:31:02 +1000

[Geolocation.py] Allow config control of geolocation (#167)
24a93fe29c
Tue, 19 May 2020 10:29:52 +1000

[OnlineUpdateCheck.py] Shutdown and close socket (#166)
3a8db1abf6
Tue, 19 May 2020 10:27:44 +1000

[rcinput.cpp] Add decimal display of key code (#164)
c9e7403b46
Tue, 19 May 2020 10:25:36 +1000

Frontend: Finetune some approximately dB calculations
8a0ec465c0
Mon, 18 May 2020 17:28:04 +0200

frontend: add debug message on setVoltage
39ca27a7f2
Mon, 11 May 2020 19:31:31 +0300

multitype: fix satellite frequency check
a70e76c729
Sat, 25 Apr 2020 16:08:51 +0300

frontend: format numbers in getCapabilities
7df5e534c7
Sat, 25 Apr 2020 15:52:58 +0300

Detect split programs when setting timers (#543)
f8f127a82f
Tue, 19 May 2020 00:22:28 +0100

e2avahi: strdup the service_name and service_type
95c4c41590
Sat, 16 May 2020 18:14:14 +0300

e2avahi: add some extra eDebug
701ac617c1
Fri, 15 May 2020 22:22:53 +0300

openvix: release 5.3.030
d7c33417f0
Sun, 17 May 2020 04:23:55 +0000

openvix: developer 5.3.030.001
aeb5a4aa4c
Sat, 16 May 2020 18:36:10 +0000

[SystemInfo.py] String False" no longer exists in branding module."
59577431a2
Sat, 16 May 2020 20:12:19 +0200

Fix timer rendering bugs in the Grid EPG (#541)
b95bd3ee8f
Sat, 16 May 2020 16:40:59 +0100

Check resume_point exists for any answer, not just a True one. (#540)
65e737e8bc
Sat, 16 May 2020 16:39:57 +0100

itstelboy
24-08-20, 14:30
I was only repeating the conditions that caused the problem - that is standard practice in fault finding. it's not my way of using the receiver from day to day.
It was a power outage that first alerted me to the problem, as steam from a soup maker caused my RCD to trip.
----------------------------

I have just taken the installation down to the bare bones as it were, flashed with v 5.3.039, run AutoBouquetMaker to populate channels.
Then manually recorded 2 channels BBC1 & ITV - both record fine. Powered down and back up and can now only manually record the 1 channel (BBC1).

I repeated the process flashing v 5.3.030 - I can manually record both BBC1 & ITV simultaneously.
Powered down and back up and can still manually record both BBC1 & ITV simultaneously.

So that's as simple as i can take it, I haven't changed a single setting, not even set any timers as I haven't set up any epg service.

abu baniaz
24-08-20, 14:33
I have just taken the installation down to the bare bones as it were, flashed with v 5.3.039, run AutoBouquetMaker to populate channels.
Then manually recorded 2 channels BBC1 & ITV - both record fine. Powered down and back up and can now only manually record the 1 channel (BBC1).

By powered down, you mean cut the power? i.e not shut down it properly, simulate a power cut.

We need a specific and reproducable method of recreating the fault.

Please answer this question so we can pinpoint the change and look to fixing it.

Just to clarify, 5.3 030 has no problem. and 5.3 031 has it?

There is a pull request pending to make the timer polling wait till after 3 minutes instead of running as soon as it boots as part of other code.

itstelboy
24-08-20, 14:35
Very sorry I've not gone through all the versions after 5.3.030 as they came in quick succession so I jumped from 30 to 39. It may be a worthwhile exercise to go through them incrementally until I find the point at which things change. - When I've got a few hours free.

ccs
24-08-20, 15:25
This could be totally irrelevent (so maybe best to ignore)...

A while ago "Behaviour when a movie reaches the end" was an issue, and probably still is.

I confirmed its random nature https://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?62947-End-of-playback&p=500294&viewfull=1#post500294

The setting is in menu/setup/recordings, playback & timeshift.

Also in there is "Recordings always have priority". Is there a slight chance this is getting interpreted as "no" under some circumstances??

ccs
24-08-20, 19:36
@itstelboy - When you do get the time, it might be worth switching on debug logs and posting the results when the recording fails.

abu baniaz
24-08-20, 19:43
I personally want confirmation on how to trigger this issue. We can then start testing at which point the issue cropped into image.

ccs
24-08-20, 21:04
I was going to have a try with 5.3.030, but there were problems with that release so I never got to use it. The first one in ages.

FYI https://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?62872-5-3-030-crashing-Fixed-in-5-3-032

itstelboy
25-08-20, 11:34
Hi, Sorry I've been a bit tied up at the moment, but I managed to try flashing images 029 through 039 (basic USB flash, and AutBouquetMaker applied, & without any backups applied)
029 & 030 worked perfectly, and 032 through 039 gave the problem, the snag is they were inconsistent in that sometimes the problem was present immediately after the flash, or it would appear after I either went into deep standby, or after I had powered off and back on. So I'm completely confused as flashing images with no restore should be completely consistent if I'm not mistaken?

I'm now wondering if I have a faulty receiver. maybe part of the flash RAM is going faulty and data from 029 & 030 are being written to a slightly different area of RAM.
I've had the receiver for some years, and as no one else seems be suffering this issue so maybe it's time to invest in a new receiver?

ronand
25-08-20, 11:38
Are you still powering off the box without going to deep standby first? If you are I am surprised the box is still working at all - its the quickest way to kill flash memory.

ccs
25-08-20, 12:24
The telnet/putty command dmesg may show some unwanted errors.

itstelboy
25-08-20, 12:59
Are you still powering off the box without going to deep standby first? If you are I am surprised the box is still working at all - its the quickest way to kill flash memory.

Hi, I had only been powering down to simulate what happened when the fault originally occurred. So yes i agree it's certainly not good practice

abu baniaz
25-08-20, 13:01
What service are you on when you try the second record after restarting?

abu baniaz
25-08-20, 13:03
He is getting a timer conflict, can we concentrate on that issue instead of asking about other issues.

itstelboy
25-08-20, 13:08
The telnet/putty command dmesg may show some unwanted errors.

Hi, Just tried to telnet with putty, but I realised that I can't remember the password I set some years ago! I've decided to give in, and treat myself to a new receiver so looking at the Zgemma H9 Twin. It seems a lot of receiver for the price, either that or wait for the H10.

bellejt
25-08-20, 13:09
just put new password in box. With latest image a password is required

itstelboy
25-08-20, 16:28
What service are you on when you try the second record after restarting?

it can be any channel, even one on the same transponder - I tried with BBC1 then a second recording with BBC2. But as I have mentioned I think I need a new receiver as the results are very inconsistent. It has even started freezing up a few times, so I feel that it is on it's way out. Sorry I feel to have wasted your time as I thought it was a bug as it started when I did the upgrade. But many thanks for your help, and others that have contributed!

abu baniaz
26-08-20, 00:11
You have not wasted my time. Issue is that code in image behaves the same no matter what box you use. So we will have to track this down if others report the same problem.

birdman
26-08-20, 01:49
I was only repeating the conditions that caused the problem - that is standard practice in fault finding.However, what you reported was, "the problem started after upgrading from V 5.3.030. when the receiver immediately reported Record Timer conflicts if there were 2 recordings sheduled at the same time.".
No mention of any power cut, or the possibility of one, in that scenario.

So not unreasonable for people to express surprise when that bit gets added later.

itstelboy
26-08-20, 13:03
However, what you reported was, "the problem started after upgrading from V 5.3.030. when the receiver immediately reported Record Timer conflicts if there were 2 recordings sheduled at the same time.".
No mention of any power cut, or the possibility of one, in that scenario.

So not unreasonable for people to express surprise when that bit gets added later.

Hi Birdman.
Apologies for the confusion, I had just performed the update an hour or so before the loss of power so my immediate thoughts were that it was caused by the image update. It was only later when I started to set up the same circumstances to analyse what had happened, that I realised it was the combination of both the upgrade & power loss.

itstelboy
27-08-20, 12:46
You have not wasted my time. Issue is that code in image behaves the same no matter what box you use. So we will have to track this down if others report the same problem.

Hi Abu,
I had a further attempt at flashing different images last night, and it convinced me that there is a problem with my box as previously I could flash 5.3.039 and it worked fine If I didn't put the box into deep standby or power it down. whereas last night I couldn't get it to record 2 channels simultaneously immediately after the flash and populating channels with AutoBouquetMaker. also the box froze up at the end of one of the flash installs with a black screen and a slow jumpy rotating Vix logo.
I have therefore ordered a Zeggama H7S from your sales website, so looking forward to the new box, and many thanks for your help and excellent forum!

BrianTheTechieSnail
29-08-20, 03:01
++++++++ deleted ++++++++

BrianTheTechieSnail
29-08-20, 13:39
I had a further attempt at flashing different images last night, and it convinced me that there is a problem with my box as previously I could flash 5.3.039 and it worked fine If I didn't put the box into deep standby or power it down.
It might be worth checking you are flashing with the right file.
Some boxes have two versions of each image file and with my Zgemma H7S the one you need for a USB flash is not the one with USB in it's name!

ccs
29-08-20, 13:43
... only one file to choose from for the TM-NANO-SE.

itstelboy
29-08-20, 16:38
It might be worth checking you are flashing with the right file.
Some boxes have two versions of each image file and with my Zgemma H7S the one you need for a USB flash is not the one with USB in it's name!

Hi Brian, Many thanks for the info, it's useful for future updates. The box (from World of satellite) came flashed with the latest Vix image pre-installed, and I must say I am both pleased, and quite impressed with the Zgemma H7 - its a world apart from my old Technomate.
Everything works great, It makes me realise how bad my old box was! The third terrestrial tuner makes a big difference too, when doing some back to back recordings which get rejected by the AutoTimer. I just pop some of them on the Terrestrial channels! You can perform up to 5 simultaneous HD channels on terrestrial as BBC1, BBC2, ITV. CH4, & CH5 are all on the same multiplex!