PDA

View Full Version : New box advice

JonMMM
05-08-20, 13:18
Its been quite a while since I have looked at new box but I think now is the time.

It will just be used foe FreeSat, I have a sky dish with duel feeds, I cannot change the dish feeds etc as I live in a rented flat and not sure if the dish feeds any other flats (and it would be against my tenancy agreement).

I am looking for a HD box (I dont fave a UHD TV but dont mind future proofing if the cost is not a lot different). It needs to have 2 sat tuners but this is where I get confused everything is now saying DVB-S2X multistream whould that give me more simultaneous channels or would it require a change of LNB etc?

It also needs to be Enigma2 as I share the channels around the flat in Kodi.

Thanks in advance

Jon

twol
05-08-20, 13:30
AX HD61 - and for your purposes treat dvb-s2x as like dvb-s2

JonMMM
05-08-20, 14:09
If I got the Gigablue UHD Quad 4K 2xDVB-S2X FBC, would I get 8 channels with my current setup or would I need to change LNB / cabling?

twol
05-08-20, 14:47
If I got the Gigablue UHD Quad 4K 2xDVB-S2X FBC, would I get 8 channels with my current setup or would I need to change LNB / cabling?

If you were to go with the Giga4K, I would choose the UE and save money, but regardless with the Giga4K in my view a combination of FBC and Unicable LNB is better, although you could run it with your current LNB/dish.

JonMMM
05-08-20, 15:02
If you were to go with the Giga4K, I would choose the UE and save money, but regardless with the Giga4K in my view a combination of FBC and Unicable LNB is better, although you could run it with your current LNB/dish.

With my current setup would I still get the 8 channels? or would I need unicable?

Andy_Hazza
05-08-20, 15:04
With my current setup would I still get the 8 channels? or would I need unicable?

Unicable II/JESS LNB you require to be able to fully utilise recording 8 channels on different transponders.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Andy_Hazza
05-08-20, 15:20
I would personally get the AX HD61 receiver, superb box it is and currently my fave and I’ve had a lot of boxes.

JonMMM
05-08-20, 15:29
Unicable II/JESS LNB you require to be able to fully utilise recording 8 channels on different transponders.

Thanks Andy, no point in the Giga Blue then.

What to I get out AX HD61 that I dont get in a box for around £100?

Andy_Hazza
05-08-20, 15:40
It’s a quality box, very fast and very responsive. Great quality build, a good looker tbh.

If money is the issue then take a look at the Zgemma H9 Twin, another good box.

To note the AX HD61 is the successor to the popular Mut@nt HD51 which was well supported.

JonMMM
05-08-20, 15:49
Money is and is not the issue I can spend £200 on a box but why do that if a £100 is going to do the same job. I will be replacing an ET8500 which keeps getting a revolving VIX in the corner, and needs a lot of reboots for Kodi connections.

I should probably do a factory reset and try rebuilding it from scratch, I forget that these are not quite plug and play.

twol
05-08-20, 16:18
Money is and is not the issue I can spend £200 on a box but why do that if a £100 is going to do the same job. I will be replacing an ET8500 which keeps getting a revolving VIX in the corner, and needs a lot of reboots for Kodi connections.

I should probably do a factory reset and try rebuilding it from scratch, I forget that these are not quite plug and play.
ET8500 - ahead of its time, quality (probably my favourite receiver)
Zgemma: functional, good value for price.
AX HD61: see Andy‘s comments