PDA

View Full Version : Ax61 any good?

mark_hopley
13-07-20, 10:56
I'm considering selling my vu duo2 and replacing with this receiver. What's people's thoughts on this box? Does it run well? Any bugs? I'm ultimately looking to use two sat tuners as well as IPTV sub and need to be able to record. Looks good value for the money but does it perform ok and achieve what I need?

Any comments would be appreciated thanks

Andy_Hazza
13-07-20, 11:41
This is a mega mega satellite receiver. I’ve had many boxes and this is my fave of them all. Very fast.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

daz450
13-07-20, 14:15
I agree with Andy its my Fave box too, Fast, looks great, and good quality!

mark_hopley
13-07-20, 20:18
Thanks guys. That's what I was hoping to hear. Is it ok for recording IPTV streams? I know zgemma h9 boxes had an issue which prevented it and don't wanna end up with same issue

bmitie
01-08-20, 21:12
Thinking of upgrading, what is the pic quality in HD like?

Andy_Hazza
01-08-20, 21:27
Superb box, very fast and great picture quality.

bmitie
19-10-20, 13:13
I have this box for a while now and its not living up to the hype for me. I have it with mutiboot and its iffy with cams, it deletes DTT channels but retains the epg, it removes bouquets. I use it with a motorised dish and a sony play TV usb tuner. I am getting the same problems with Openatv, Openvix, Pure2 and at the moment the best one is HDF, it deleled favoutites overnight including the DTT Saorview channels but I found then under providers with HDF image. Its no good for recording DTT channels if it deletes them when left in standby.

I have an SSD in it as well.

The 2 best aspects are pic quality and speed.

Can you say what use image ye are using and if you are using any usb sockets for HDD or Freeview/Saorview.

Apparently the faults I have found are not covered by guarantee.

Any suggestions that may help me overcome these glitches are most welcome.

I know its an ARM chip. I have duo2, solo2, uno. xtrend, octagon, zgemma h2s

ps I would not recommend it as of now.

twol
19-10-20, 13:28
I have this box for a while now and its not living up to the hype for me. I have it with mutiboot and its iffy with cams, it deletes DTT channels but retains the epg, it removes bouquets. I use it with a motorised dish and a sony play TV usb tuner. I am getting the same problems with Openatv, Openvix, Pure2 and at the moment the best one is HDF, it deleled favoutites overnight including the DTT Saorview channels but I found then under providers with HDF image. Its no good for recording DTT channels if it deletes them when left in standby.

I have an SSD in it as well.

The 2 best aspects are pic quality and speed.

Can you say what use image ye are using and if you are using any usb sockets for HDD or Freeview/Saorview.

Apparently the faults I have found are not covered by guarantee.

Any suggestions that may help me overcome these glitches are most welcome.

Sorry but the box doesn‘t delete bouquets and neither does the base image - it sounds more likely to me that you are running something that is running every day that is monitoring or updating your bouquets e.g. if you have non ABM bouquets then it is possible (if my memory is correct?) for a daily ABM update to delete them, if not set up correctly.
So what are you using to generate your bouquets and is any thing run to keep them updated??

bmitie
19-10-20, 16:19
I can see you are a mod. The deleting of the bouquet is only one of the faults and I did say I have 6 other boxes that don't have these faults.

These are the faults, there may be others but it wont matter now as I wont be using box. I have gone back to dup2 and for the last three hours it has run without a glitch using the very same software.

1. cccam glitches. Its an ARM CCAM. 2. It deletes the DTT channels when put in standby, with VIX it retains the epg of those channels, with PURE 2 it greys them out, with openatv it just deletes them, with hdf it retains them under provider but will delete the SAORVIEW bouquet. To get channels back for the first 3 images requires a hard reboot.

The simple fact is the box is faulty but WOS dont want to know. I raised a ticket and this is the reply I got.

"This was a bonus with your other receivers using 3rd party software."

I have gone back and lsited the rest of the known faults but I don't hold out much hope.

Just to recap I have 6 other boxes and none of them has these faults.

Andy_Hazza
19-10-20, 17:06
You are best using Oscam, its made for ARM receivers unlike the Ccam and Mgcamd.

I also have the AX HD61 and its rock solid for me also.

Maybe you need to start again and start from scratch with a new ViX image and setup without any settings and plugin restores.

What 3rd party plugins are you using?

Tell us how you are creating your Bouquets so we can see where you are going wrong.

Sicilian
19-10-20, 17:09
Why is the box faulty? You are trying to use a 3rd party USB tuner that not all receivers work with. Just because your USB tuner worked with your previous Broadcom based receivers DOES NOT mean its compatible with a Hisilicon based receiver. Even some broadcom based receivers don't run well with many USB tuners! You should not take for granted that it would be compatible!

CCcam is not even developed anymore, switch to OScam.

bmitie
19-10-20, 21:33
andy I have given up on it and gone back to DUO2. The whole set up was very basic, openvix with vix blue, cccam and oscam, crossepg, epg refresh, weather, a fixed dish on A and motorised on B. The most obvious fault was on the DTT tuner, I don't have anything updating daily like Auotbouquets. It was iffy on oscam as well.

What I might do is start again at a later date, I have reported it to AX manufacturer as WOS were a waste of time.

It has lots of glitches, I set it up in a unit on Friday so only used it Fri Sat Sun. Friday night it should have recorded a prog on DTT but it deleted the channels so nothing, that's when I noticed the glitches. The box would report a fault but restore itself ie not reboot, apparently it will do this 3 times and then reboot.

HDF seems to be the most suitable image.

Can I just do a factory reset and use one image and forget about multi boot? And just have it as a FREE TO AIR and give it to someone.

Sicilian
20-10-20, 05:01
andy I have given up on it and gone back to DUO2. The whole set up was very basic, openvix with vix blue, cccam and oscam, crossepg, epg refresh, weather, a fixed dish on A and motorised on B. The most obvious fault was on the DTT tuner, I don't have anything updating daily like Auotbouquets. It was iffy on oscam as well.

What I might do is start again at a later date, I have reported it to AX manufacturer as WOS were a waste of time.

So becuase your 3rd party USB tuner is not compatible or the Hisilicon dirvers do not fully support USB tuners you blame the receiver and WOS? :confused:

twol
20-10-20, 08:33

It has lots of glitches, I set it up in a unit on Friday so only used it Fri Sat Sun. Friday night it should have recorded a prog on DTT but it deleted the channels so nothing, that's when I noticed the glitches. The box would report a fault but restore itself ie not reboot, apparently it will do this 3 times and then reboot.

HDF seems to be the most suitable image.

Can I just do a factory reset and use one image and forget about multi boot? And just have it as a FREE TO AIR and give it to someone.
"The box would report a fault but restore itself ie not reboot, apparently it will do this 3 times and then reboot. "
So did you get a crash log or what - really you need to follow up on things - rather than blame everything else for your issues

Multiboot is integral to the box - but Yes you can install just one image if thats what you want

Bunty
13-12-20, 14:42
Picture quality wise how does the Ax HD61 compare to the Ax HD51 .
Both are Arm but the Ax61 uses Hisilicon whereas the HD51 is Broadcom .
Is the Ax61 as good at rendering Standard definition and HD ?
Thanks

twol
13-12-20, 16:02
The HD51 was a really lovely receiver but in my view as per post#6, the AX HD61 is the best of the HiSIlicon boxes so far

Bunty
13-12-20, 19:07
The HD51 was a really lovely receiver but in my view as per post#6, the AX HD61 is the best of the HiSIlicon boxes so far

Thanks Twol, I have a HD51, it is a very good receiver.

Is the picture quality on the Hisilicon boxes as good as the Broadcom Arm boxes like the HD51 and Zgemma 7 ?

twol
13-12-20, 19:16

Is the picture quality on the Hisilicon boxes as good as the Broadcom Arm boxes like the HD51 and Zgemma 7 ?

In my view Yes, but then there are some people that complain about every receiver they have bought (which just relays the signal received) and have never ever thought about adjusting the settings on their TV from showroom settings - even when today many of the better TV‘s have pre defined and calibrated settings - so picture quality is in the eye of the beholder

I would be happy to have the HD61 on display, whereas most HiSilicon boxes are to be honest just boxes

Bunty
14-12-20, 01:06
In my view Yes, but then there are some people that complain about every receiver they have bought (which just relays the signal received) and have never ever thought about adjusting the settings on their TV from showroom settings - even when today many of the better TV‘s have pre defined and calibrated settings - so picture quality is in the eye of the beholder

I would be happy to have the HD61 on display, whereas most HiSilicon boxes are to be honest just boxes

Thanks twol.
I have always tinkered with the picture settings on all the receivers I have had.
I mainly view on two good Panasonic plasmas, 1080p, I don't really need UHD as there is very little content.

I had an Alien 2 before the Mutant HD51, there was a very crisp picture on that, especially standard definition but the HD lacked a bit of punch.
HD is better on the Mutant but standard definition is noisier.
I think the Gamma settings on the Alien were higher by default.
The Arm processor on the HD51 produces a good picture though.

I tried to order the HD61 now but got an error on the payment page.
Will retry tomorrow.

joysleep1
02-12-22, 18:35
Does anyone know if you can change the remote input device like you can on some other receivers?

maxben
03-12-22, 14:57

I have both the HD51 and the HD61 and imho the only advantage the HD61 has over the HD51 is the speed of booting and e2 restart.

The display is next to useless unless you need to permanently see the clock whereas with the HD51 you can actually navigate menus without actually seeing a TV.

I find the countdown of time remaining when watching media on the HD51 also particularly useful.

I haven't even used my HD61 for about 6 months so seeing this thread I decided to update it and try it again hoping I would now prefer it over the HD51, sadly I don't :(

IMHO it's not much better than any other HiSilicon box except for the addition of an internal HDD.

If my HD51 stopped working I would use this box as a second choice but for me the features of the HD51 has spoilt me.

twol
03-12-22, 15:19
Picture quality wise how does the Ax HD61 compare to the Ax HD51 .
Both are Arm but the Ax61 uses Hisilicon whereas the HD51 is Broadcom .
Is the Ax61 as good at rendering Standard definition and HD ?
Thanks

In my view both are equal - I have had both (still have the HD61) - but depending on TV, SD obviously can be poor compared to HD