PDA

View Full Version : [GiGaBlue UHD QUAD 4K] FREESAT UK - Recording Subtitles ?

Mundosat
30-06-20, 09:04
Hello again
I could not find anywhere how to tell OpenVix to 'record' subtitles.

I hope is there, as it does not make sense for a hard of hearing having subtitles, but not on recordings - VERY important.

Any help?

Thanks everyone
Mundosat
:confused:

ronand
30-06-20, 09:07
All subtitle and audio streams are recorded - you dont need to specify it.

adm
30-06-20, 10:20
Hello again
I could not find anywhere how to tell OpenVix to 'record' subtitles.

I hope is there, as it does not make sense for a hard of hearing having subtitles, but not on recordings - VERY important.

Any help?

Thanks everyone
Mundosat
:confused:

The box automatically records the transport stream from the brodcaster which includes any sub-titles.
The subtitles are displayed if you enable them , the same as with a live broadcast.
Not all brodcasters/channels have sub-titles and even when a programme did originally have sub-titles (say orginally broadcast ofn BBC1) they may/will be missing when broadcast on another channel such as PBS or Smithonian.

ronand
30-06-20, 10:37
The only snag is that you need to enable the subtitles when playing back a recording (with the subtitle button) as I don't think there is an way to get the box to play them automatically.

Clemente
30-06-20, 11:55
Subtitiles can be used exactly in the same way receiving live broadcasting or playing recorded files. No differences.

Mundosat
30-06-20, 13:58
The box automatically records the transport stream from the brodcaster which includes any sub-titles.
The subtitles are displayed if you enable them , the same as with a live broadcast.
Not all brodcasters/channels have sub-titles and even when a programme did originally have sub-titles (say orginally broadcast ofn BBC1) they may/will be missing when broadcast on another channel such as PBS or Smithonian.

Yes, as I thought, nowadays with digital, whatever is part of the package is transmitted and subtitles too.

I fit my new 2Tb HDD last night and just tested a few minutes on BBC News last night 3 times and worked fine but no subtitles [I already have them on normally].
I also used Subt on the remote.

I will try again, I might have been tired and doing something stupid!

Thank you and all others - good forum of passionate people.

In a few years I will retire [if Government does not touch Pensions, I think they will !]and trying to fix TV, Computing and all the rest ...

Mundosat
02-07-20, 09:21
Strangely, it did not show subs when using the subs button.

Then after a while - I do not even remember what I was doing as I did it in between 'Grandson's' going to sleep ... peace ... and it seems to work.
Yesterday I started to setup recordings, series etc. Let's see what happens.

All is in parallel to my old and still working 12 years old Humax ...

It might have been that there was a delay on Subs appearing, not that I think of it and I shortened it a bit.

adm
02-07-20, 10:02
Yes, as I thought, nowadays with digital, whatever is part of the package is transmitted and subtitles too.

I fit my new 2Tb HDD last night and just tested a few minutes on BBC News last night 3 times and worked fine but no subtitles [I already have them on normally].
I also used Subt on the remote.

I will try again, I might have been tired and doing something stupid!

Try recording for more than a few mintes. Often when pressing the subtitle button it takes maybe many 10s of seconds for them to appear for the first time after which they appear in sync.

Mundosat
03-07-20, 09:28
ADDITION:
I did set full recordings - copied from old receiver and recording in parallel with old receiver to test new one for a few days.

All seems OK and Subtitles do show 'without' selecting Subt button - I guess maybe in last update it now remains memorised I clicked them on?

Next time I need to get out again and tune the Dish and LNB outside, I had a few flashes with no signal - 'mostly with Gigablue and within the first 1/2 hour!

Good for me!

Mundosat
05-07-20, 09:56
Me again.
Installed Kodi mainly for BBC iPlayer, once again no subtitles.

Any idea? I went to subtitles but did not know which to choose.

Thanks

ADDITION: Found how online ...

Added BSPlayer + Addic7ed & I forgot to also add Podnapisi - they seem to be good for English subtitles.

Works!

Mundosat
26-07-20, 10:13
Receiver seems to do 99% what is expected now, my only bother is that I have to press Subt + DVB subt or Teletext if needed 'every' time, am I doing something wrong in settings? I need them on all the time.
Even after Subt switched on, from st-by and receiver is switched on, Subt need to be re-switched on again ... a bother really.
Strange.

I just found this port:
https://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?62327-How-do-I-turn-on-DVB-subtitles-permanently&highlight=subtitles

Will see if it helps, it is possible I had a change of settings from the one time I re-flashed OpenVix 5.3.5 and was wrongly set.

Well, I have to say once OpenVix is set the way you want it is 'ace'!