PDA

View Full Version : Vu+ Solo2 dead - What next?

Grinnders
27-06-20, 08:42
So having read posts in the forum to see if I can recover my Solo2 (stopped at UBIFS update) , it looks most probable its beyond economic repair.

I have therefore trawled the forum for various recommendations. In my (wife's) budget are probably;

AX HD61
Zgemma H7S
Vu+ Zero 4k just realised only 1 tuner.

I (still have a VU Zero for my 1080p projector) and my family Solo2 was setup with twin tuners to a Technomate motorised 1.2M dish, OpenVix with Slyk UI. I hope to slavage the 500MB HD and will check its a 2.5" that can be transferred over as it has some family video I'm keen to retain.

I currently don't have 4k capable TV but the last of the great 1080P Panasonic plasmas ~8 years old so may only have a few years left and I have recently replaced my surround sound with a 4K capable Marrantz AV so anticipating a 4K panel in the nearish future will be a necessity :D

Apart from the price.... what are some factors I should consider whene deciding between the two?

Cheers

twol
27-06-20, 08:59
H7 good receiver, been around for some time .
AX HD61, new receiver, very good specs and comes with some style and a neat remote - much more of something you might expose in a lounge setting, compared to the zgemma‘s very basic externals.
To be honest - I nearly just typed in HD61 because to me its a no brainer, my favourite box of the moment.

bellejt
27-06-20, 09:23
Octagon SF8008 (combo)

Grinnders
27-06-20, 10:42
H7 good receiver, been around for some time .
AX HD61, new receiver, very good specs and comes with some style and a neat remote - much more of something you might expose in a lounge setting, compared to the zgemma‘s very basic externals.
To be honest - I nearly just typed in HD61 because to me its a no brainer, my favourite box of the moment.

Thanks.. sounds like AX HD61 may be more future proof in regards to current spec inline wiht the market. I still use a Harmony One so remote is less of an issue unless Logitech don't include support for this mdoel? .... goes off to check

Andy_Hazza
27-06-20, 11:27
+1 for AX HD61

Exceptional box, best one imo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mrabcx
06-08-20, 14:22
I have a Solo2 myself and thinking about upgrading to a 4K box. With a fiber based internet connection a gigabit connection is a must. Initially I was thinking about getting the Octagon sf8008, however, it looks like that when zapping between channels the new channel starts in a slow motion manner. Not sure if I would like that, the Solo2 being very fast with no lag so this seems to be a bit of downgrade.
Also looked at the GigaBlue UHD UE 4K but on Youtube videos there seems to be an image freeze of the new channel when switching for a short while.
What other receivers are out there who do not have these problems and any recommendations what should I aim for ? The VU+ Uno 4K SE is an alternative but apparently lacks some features with respect to Kodi and Stalker.

Andy_Hazza
06-08-20, 14:44
I have a Solo2 myself and thinking about upgrading to a 4K box. With a fiber based internet connection a gigabit connection is a must. Initially I was thinking about getting the Octagon sf8008, however, it looks like that when zapping between channels the new channel starts in a slow motion manner. Not sure if I would like that, the Solo2 being very fast with no lag so this seems to be a bit of downgrade.
Also looked at the GigaBlue UHD UE 4K but on Youtube videos there seems to be an image freeze of the new channel when switching for a short while.
What other receivers are out there who do not have these problems and any recommendations what should I aim for ? The VU+ Uno 4K SE is an alternative but apparently lacks some features with respect to Kodi and Stalker.

If that’s gonna be an issue you’ll not be able to have any box (4K) with HiSilicon chipset then, so pretty much your choices are the Vu+ range, I.e. Ultimo 4K, Uno 4K etc.

You could always close your eyes for a couple of seconds before opening them if you did decide on a HiSilicon chipset receiver. lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ronand
06-08-20, 15:10
I found the channel change annoying to begin with on my sf8008. Then there was a small improvement to blank the screen for a few seconds so now I don't notice the slow motion any more. I usually watch tv instead of spending hours flicking through channels.

Valiant
06-08-20, 15:49
I usually watch tv instead of spending hours flicking through channels.

Well said! If I watch live tv and there are adverts, I am now in the habit of pressing the mute button, it's surprising how liberating it is ! :)