PDA

View Full Version : Updated OpenVix Manual?

DarkDeveloper
22-06-20, 22:51
Hi,

I am currently on OpenVix version 5.0, and am thinking of updating my receiver to the latest version (5.3).

I was just wondering if there was an updated user manual anywhere?, as the 'official' pdf manual dates back to 2014

Thanks in advance

Stanman
24-06-20, 08:17
How to use the image??

Sent from my Mi MIX 3 5G using Tapatalk

nekrub2
24-06-20, 19:14
Frankly speaking I was also about to ask for an update. Particularly in the area of setup not all is described in the manual.

Thanks for putting the focus on this
nekrub2

ccs
24-06-20, 19:21
... I doubt it will happen any time soon.

DarkDeveloper
25-06-20, 12:24
How to use the image??

Sent from my Mi MIX 3 5G using Tapatalk

Well, yes, but mainly how you configure OpenVix for usage

e.g. I get the impression from scanning through the forum, that the steps for setting up the epg (freesat), adding skins etc., may have changed since both the original 2014 manual and Openvix 5.0 release?

Which means, that the manual becomes a starting point, but ultimately i need to search the forum in order to learn how to do certain things.

That should not be a major problem, but inevitably you end up trawling through lots of posts, with people advising different ways to do the same thing, and then once you find the simplest way, inevitably it no longer applies to the latest builds....

abu baniaz
25-06-20, 12:34
EPG for Freesat has not changed. The EPG is absorbed while you watch. Installing skins or plugins is still the same. If it is on the plugin server (feeds), install it from there. If you have to downlaod an ipk, there are several ways to do it, listed in the manual.

This is not a commercial organisation, it is a hobby. People do things for free in their own time. Feel free to update the guide/make your own. CRMS was saying a similar thing. No doubt in a few years someone else will come along and say the same thing about the guide you make. We ought to have a wiki like PLI.

nekrub2
14-07-20, 16:12
Dear Abu

I highly appreciate all the voluntary work. So I though I could review the manual.pdf and make some minor adjustments. Unfortunately the PDF is protected and I cannot copy the content into a text document. I'm quite clear that this know-how should not be misused or given away for free. But in order to keep it up-to-date it would be fine to have a document in progress on which users could do amendments.
What do you think about?
nekrub2

abu baniaz
14-07-20, 16:32
Yes, it needs an update.

I am afraid I didn't write the manual. You will have to ask the author for it. In my opinion, it would be better to have a wiki where everyone can contribute to it like PLI do. It is too much work for one person.

BrianTheTechieSnail
14-07-20, 17:11
Dear Abu

I highly appreciate all the voluntary work. So I though I could review the manual.pdf and make some minor adjustments. Unfortunately the PDF is protected and I cannot copy the content into a text document. I'm quite clear that this know-how should not be misused or given away for free. But in order to keep it up-to-date it would be fine to have a document in progress on which users could do amendments.
What do you think about?
nekrub2
If anyone does want to make a few updates to it there's free software out there that will easily remove the encryption.
I just tried the free version of PDFsam and it did it.
Also you can always just print it to a PDF printer driver like Cute PDF to get an unencrypted version though with that method you need to be careful you don't reduce the quality of any images in the file.

ccs
14-07-20, 17:14
If anyone does want to make a few updates to it there's free software out there that will easily remove the encryption.
I just tried the free version of PDFsam and it did it.
Also you can always just print it to a PDF printer driver like Cute PDF to get an unencrypted version though with that method you need to be careful you don't reduce the quality of any images in the file.
.... I'm sure the author of the document will be pleased to read this.:)