PDA

View Full Version : Possible to copy & re-use timers from a backup?

steveharman
19-06-20, 18:24
I have an image backup file from an old version of Openvix and would like to take the timers from the old timers.xml and use them in my new Openvix install.

I've tried unarchiving the backup, navigating to vix-rel-5.2.044-20200619-1411/etc/enigma2/ and copying/replacing timers.xml on to the new box, but even after a restart I see no timers in Menu > Timers > Timers or indeed Menu > Timers > Autotimers.

Am I attempting the impossible or have I missed something? I've tried rebooting the box without success.

Thanks,

Steve

Stanman
19-06-20, 18:31
Are you giving the file the right permissions?

Done it plenty in the past and works fine using FTP

Might be an idea to flash the backup, extract autotimers and timers file, put it in the new location.

Your other issue could be the timers have an older time set for them, so when you move them to a future date, box will expire them unless their autotimers.

Sent from my Mi MIX 3 5G using Tapatalk

abu baniaz
19-06-20, 18:36
You have to stop enigma2 before transferring files. Use "init 4" to stop. After you transfer, "init 3" will restart. Guide to Putty in my signature if you need it.

ccs
19-06-20, 18:40
You need to stop enigma with telnet init 4 before copying the timers over, and then init 3 to restart it.

But, as has already been said, the timers will almost certainly disappear because of their age. Autotimers (in autotimer.xml) will be fine.

Snap. :)

steveharman
22-06-20, 09:54
Thanks both. So just "init 4" and "init 3" on their own - or are they arguments to another command? I tried:
• init 3
• [ftp timers.xml to /etc/enigma2/ and overwrite the existing file]
• init 4

But the timers didn't show in Menu > Times > AutoTimers.

I wonder if it's worth a restart to refresh the timers.xml in memory?

Steve

UPDATE: Rebooting didn't help. Something interesting: The timers.xml in etc/enigma2 contains all my [AutoTimer] autotimers but they aren't showing in the UI.

ccs
22-06-20, 10:08
Timers and autotimers are different, copying timers.xml won't show in autotimers.

You need to copy autotimer.xml as well.

steveharman
22-06-20, 10:12
T'darrrrr! :-) Thanks @ccs

• ssh to the box & login
• init 4 - stop enigma2
• FTP client to copy timers.xml & autotimer.xml into /etc/enigma2 on the box (might not have needed timers.xml due to its age)
• init 3 - start enigma2 again

Autotimers now showing in the box UI.

Thank you!