PDA

View Full Version : H7S Which file for what?

lespat
17-05-20, 15:41
Just noticed that Openvix flash files for the Zgemma H7 now come in 2 variants in much smaller sizes than the previous zip files from 5.3.26 and earlier. Can anyone explain which file is for what and when do you use each of them? I usually do an online update but on occasions have had to resort to a USB flash. Don't want to get it wrong! Brilliant box by the way. Thanks.

Andy_Hazza
17-05-20, 15:45
What version of ViX are you on now?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lespat
17-05-20, 15:52
Thanks for the quick response, updated to 5.3.29 last Friday online, just looking for info so I am ready if the need arises.

Andy_Hazza
17-05-20, 15:58
You should be ok then. The new recovery file was to update the new emmc part so you must be on the latest one if on ViX 5.3.029. [emoji4]

lespat
17-05-20, 16:15
Thanks for that, but what I was trying to understand is, which zip file to use in the event of the need to re-flash as I have in the past when I couldn't get the box to reboot after trying a new skin. I guess from your reply is that I would use the recovery zip file to start from scratch! And if so, when would I use the other zip file?

Andy_Hazza
17-05-20, 16:24
A new USB flash must be done with the recovery_emmc.zip file. Non recovery zip file is for online flashing and multiboot slot flashing via image manager.

lespat
17-05-20, 16:33
Got it! Fully understand that now, many thanks for the info. Will try a test flash onto a spare slot with the non-recovery zip file. Thanks again.:thumbsup:

Sicilian
17-05-20, 16:51
Got it! Fully understand that now, many thanks for the info. Will try a test flash onto a spare slot with the non-recovery zip file. Thanks again.:thumbsup:

That is done via online flashing or OpenViX ImageManager > Blue button > ViX > Imagemanager.

lespat
17-05-20, 16:58
Many thanks Sicilian, I should have been more specific meaning I will be using a spare boot slot rather than a USB slot using the procedure as you described, thanks:thumbsup:

BrianTheTechieSnail
18-05-20, 14:36
Should be pinned thread maybe?

FlexMcMurphy
13-06-20, 03:15
I have a ZGemma H7S. Can I asked what exactly is done to the box when I USB flash the recovery_emmc.zip file? Does it contain the linux OS so flashing that will replace the whole linux OS on the box and not just the enigma2 application? Will this re-create the four partition slots and make them blank again?

I ask because I'd like to know how to reset my ZGemma back to blank and start again from a clean slate.

Cheers,

Flex

abu baniaz
13-06-20, 14:19
Think of the recovery menu as the BIOS.

When you flash an Image, it will include the linux OS. That is flashed/installed in the slot of your choice.

There is meant to be a way of deleting images in the other slots. I could not understand the instructions nor see how to achieve this.

BrianTheTechieSnail
13-06-20, 18:23
I have a Zgemma H7S.
I can't find a way to really totally erase a slot (one of the four bootable image slots).
I did find a delete function (can't remember exactly where) and after using that the slot in question shows as "deleted image" or something.
BUT there is an undelete function that then appears for that slot so clearly it's only marked as deleted, not really erased.
I guess that if you wanted to get rid of all personalised information the best you could do, without some special hack, would be to put an uncustomised image in all four slots and then mark them as deleted.

joysleep1
23-06-20, 12:48
A new USB flash must be done with the recovery_emmc.zip file. Non recovery zip file is for online flashing and multiboot slot flashing via image manager.

So are you supposed to extract both files into the USB or just the recovery one?

BrianTheTechieSnail
23-06-20, 14:12
So are you supposed to extract both files into the USB or just the recovery one?

Just the recovery one, into the root of your USB drive so that you have just a zgemma folder in the root of the USB drive.

joysleep1
23-06-20, 18:33
Just the recovery one, into the root of your USB drive so that you have just a zgemma folder in the root of the USB drive.

After i extract the recovery thing onto the USB drive. I open the folders and i see ZGEMMA>H7 then 2 things. One thing is disk and the other is image version.
Nothing about root. What i am doing wrong here? I dont get it

twol
23-06-20, 18:41
.... it doesn‘t use root and kernel for the usb recovery flash anymore ...

joysleep1
23-06-20, 18:45
.... it doesn‘t use root and kernel for the usb recovery flash anymore ...

So i have tried this multiple times with 2 different USB flash drives both formatted to FAT32. I never see the word flash come when i power on. I dont understand what i am doing wrong

Willo3092
23-06-20, 18:48
Are you pressing the little button under the front flap when you power on?

joysleep1
23-06-20, 18:49

I thought you only press that when you see the word flash come up.
I never see the word flash.

joysleep1
23-06-20, 18:50

oh wait i think that might have done the trick. It says flash. Let me get back to you

joysleep1
23-06-20, 18:51
oh wait i think that might have done the trick. It says flash. Let me get back to you

ok so its saying FLSH now. So i hope that means its doing it. It is strange becayse every receiver that i have ever flashed requires you to press a buttong or touch screen a buttong when it says flash.

ccs
23-06-20, 18:55
ok so its saying FLSH now. So i hope that means its doing it. It is strange becayse every receiver that i have ever flashed requires you to press a buttong or touch screen a buttong when it says flash.

Instructions say......

Flashing the Receiver.
1) Power off the receiver
2) Ensure no other USB devices are plugged into the receiver
3) Insert the USB stick containing the ima
possible.
4) Power the receiver on.
5) Immediately after powering on PRESS AND HOLD the front power button behind front flap until flashing
appears on front display.

https://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?60777-How-to-USB-flash-a-Zgemma-H7-Series-H7S-amp-H7C

joysleep1
23-06-20, 18:59
Thanks everyone for your help. Working perfectly now.

joysleep1
02-12-22, 17:26
Can anyone provide any support here. This time i am trying to flash the zgemma h9 twin and i think its th same principle. I insert USB while holding reset button. I see the word flash come up but then it does not activate the flash. I release the button but it goes straight to boot.

Really frustrating

abu baniaz
02-12-22, 17:34
Why don't you flash it using the remote? Which image is on it at the moment? Name and version/date please.

joysleep1
02-12-22, 20:35
Why don't you flash it using the remote? Which image is on it at the moment? Name and version/date please.

Sorry I have to flash using USB because its stuck on 49 percent.
I was already on latest vixx image 5 point something but now it's corrupted

twol
02-12-22, 20:42
Sorry I have to flash using USB because its stuck on 49 percent.
I was already on latest vixx image 5 point something but now it's corrupted

Its probably stuck on 49% because there is a crash …. Assuming you can connetc to the box (telnet .. putty) login, enter init 4 (space between) and then enigma2, and check for a crash in the log….. could be a skin issue, but probably fixable

joysleep1
02-12-22, 21:01
Can't log into telnet. Not working
. Just can't figure out how to reflash using USB

abu baniaz
02-12-22, 21:06
Can you not boot into recovery mode and flash from there? Press the power button on remote when you start it up.

joysleep1
02-12-22, 23:52
Can you not boot into recovery mode and flash from there? Press the power button on remote when you start it up.

Nothing works with the remote I'm trying to follow the exact steps where I keep the reset button held until the word flash appears but nothing.

Will try again tomorrow

cactikid
03-12-22, 03:18
I would ask what type of usb stick is it and formatted fat 32 and image extracted to it.

Usb sticks for years have issues as not been seen by the box and flash is not done.

8gb max size and no other ones usb plugged into box?

abu baniaz
03-12-22, 06:13
You are trying to flash to flash by USB, I am telling you something different to USB flashing.

Switch mains off White power button at rear. Hold down power button on remote when you switch box on. You should get the recovery mode show up.

joysleep1
03-12-22, 09:05
I'm using a regular Toshiba 4g stick formatted to fat 32.
Ok I'll try the remote way again after I come back from work.
I tried two different USB sticks. I don't think the issue is the USB because the box reads the word flash so it's picking up something.
Its just I don't know how to activate the flash button. Just to confirm that I extracted the latest Vix recovery eemc file

joysleep1
03-12-22, 14:35
Hi

Yes thanks abu and others. The remote way worked OK.
I think I'm getting somewhere now

joysleep1
03-12-22, 14:37
Yes the remote way worked a treat. Bloody hell that was a headache

joysleep1
17-12-22, 14:45
OK guys

So my father in law has the h7s and he told me that the box has stopped working all of a sudden. It just gets stick on boot
So i took it back to my place.

I extracted the latest recovery image, i hold down the front button and push power button After a second i see flash. After two minutes it goes to BOOT and stays there. Nothing, no picture nothing.

How can i tell if the box is dead or if its something related to software. I can never get passed BOOT but no numbers come to show its booting. I removed the HDD that was inserted but still made no difference
Seems worrying.

joysleep1
17-12-22, 16:04
Here is a link showing a video of what i did. I dont think i have done anything wrong here.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/13Sos6H6mHQVGOFXSJhOMNRp4pvDNubDi/view?usp=share_link

joysleep1
17-12-22, 23:15
Here is a link showing a video of what i did. I dont think i have done anything wrong here.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/13Sos6H6mHQVGOFXSJhOMNRp4pvDNubDi/view?usp=share_link

https://drive.google.com/file/d/13Sos6H6mHQVGOFXSJhOMNRp4pvDNubDi/view?usp=drivesdk

abu baniaz
18-12-22, 01:09
Requires signing in to view the video, so I have not seen it.

cactikid
18-12-22, 01:36
I have and wondered if file was transferred over as box said flash ,then boot but not seen the box rebooted or usb was flashing to show they are talking to each other so box was the same before and after non flashing.

joysleep1
18-12-22, 10:37
Requires signing in to view the video, so I have not seen it.

It should work after I grant you permission. That's what's happened with others

joysleep1
18-12-22, 11:30
OK so i have come to the conclusion that this has a hardware fualt or something that has made this permenantly broken.

I tried twice again with different USB sticks and same thing happens each time

https://drive.google.com/file/d/14si2pdVpM2Mvp7xNvfcHA7mkBfy8VNUa/view?usp=share_link

https://drive.google.com/file/d/14se_qdka3iZuDfnIuh9fSCgIutwvrXNV/view?usp=share_link

https://youtu.be/O7XR_swbKb4

https://youtu.be/UV6WXpwz-WU

Willo3092
18-12-22, 12:00
I always power the box off after the flash completes and then remove the flash drive - then power on.

joysleep1
18-12-22, 12:33
I always power the box off after the flash completes and then remove the flash drive - then power on.

Tried that. Still stuck on boot

cactikid
18-12-22, 13:10
Do these boxes fail from faulty power supply as like many other boxes and stop things from working correctly , try another power supply and maybe front port.

joysleep1
18-12-22, 14:51
Do these boxes fail from faulty power supply as like many other boxes and stop things from working correctly , try another power supply and maybe front port.

Tried that
Replaced it with my zgemma H9s. Made no difference

cactikid
18-12-22, 15:44
Did you try flashing again to see if box reboots and how long was it left to see if anything was in process of doing when you had another power supply.

And you got those files from within the Zgemma H7S images?

joysleep1
18-12-22, 20:25
Did you try flashing again to see if box reboots and how long was it left to see if anything was in process of doing when you had another power supply.

And you got those files from within the Zgemma H7S images?

I tried my vu duo 4k power supply and it still doesn't work.
I have tried various openvix images. All doesn't work.
Concluded that the receiver has become faulty.
Need to find an alternative now. Such a headache

BrianG61UK
18-12-22, 22:51
It should work after I grant you permission. That's what's happened with others
He wants, totally reasonably, to have permission without having to give you or Google his personal email address.

joysleep1
18-12-22, 22:53
He wants, totally reasonably, to have permission without having to give you or Google his personal email address.

Oh right OK

cactikid
19-12-22, 00:36
Back again so what was the file you used ?

I have been told this is the one to use to recover boot issue ?

Openvix 6 2 011 Release Zgemmah7 Recovery Emmc (103.1M) ?

BrianG61UK
19-12-22, 04:26
Back again so what was the file you used ?

I have been told this is the one to use to recover boot issue ?

Openvix 6 2 011 Release Zgemmah7 Recovery Emmc (103.1M) ?

Correct.

I believe I used this guide last time I did it:

https://www.openvix.co.uk/openvix-builds/Guides%20and%20Tutorials/Flashing%20Guides/Zgemma%20USB%20Flashing%20Guides/How%20to%20flash%20a%20Zgemma%20H7%20by%20USB.pdf

But the guide is not completely correct. You need the file with recovery in the name for this process.
Currently:

https://www.openvix.co.uk/openvix-builds/zgemmah7/openvix-6.2.011.release-zgemmah7_recovery_emmc.zip

cactikid
19-12-22, 10:22
There are only 3 files in downloads and none mention zip.

Now i know its needing extraction to usb to use it.

Willo3092
19-12-22, 10:38
The download is a zip file. Just extract it to a fat32 formatted usb stick.
You should just see a zgemma folder in the root of the usb drive.