PDA

View Full Version : [Zgemma H7] Refresh from IEPG data 1 not working?

BrianTheTechieSnail
13-05-20, 22:02
I started with OpenVIX 5.3.028 on my H7S.
The EPG seemed slightly corrupt so I did Menu / Setup / EPG / Load-save-delete / Delete EPG
and then manually started EPG Refresh with is set up to do Fake Recordings for 3 minutes each on IEPG data 1 on Sky and then BBC 1 on Freeview.
The satellite part of the EPG would not reappear.
I tried several times.

In the end what worked was to restore an image backup I made of OpenVIX 5.3.027 and then restore my settings from 5.3.028
only then did manually initiating an EPG Refresh seem to be able to restore a usable EPG.

Does 5.3.028 have a problem with reading IEPG data 1 ?

Or is something else wrong?

Sicilian
13-05-20, 22:49
No 5.2.028 does not have any issue updating EPG from IEPG data channel. Set EPGRefresh to 300 seconds on Zgemma.

abu baniaz
13-05-20, 23:01
OpenTV EPG reader is working for me. As is CrossEPG.

BrianTheTechieSnail
14-05-20, 03:00
I did upgrade to 5.3.028 again and tried same delete EPG followed by manual EPG Refresh and it does seem to refresh the EPG after upgrade to 5.3.028.

Did I make a mistake before by restoring a backup from 5.3.027 after upgrading?

Anyhow looks like it's working now.

Thanks.

ronand
14-05-20, 07:36
There is no need to restore settings after upgrading. You will only need to do this if doing a full flash with either image manager or usb. The online update is usually sufficient unless there is a major image upgrade.

BrianTheTechieSnail
14-05-20, 11:12
I tried again just now and EPG Refresh is not reading Sky EPG again!

Does Sky only transmit it at night or something?

Later: No that's not it.
I appeared to need to reboot before it would work.

Now is that just what you have to do after deleting the EPG data or what?

abu baniaz
14-05-20, 11:46
The data is there all the time.

Are you using "EPG refresh now" or just setting "EPG refresh"?

BrianTheTechieSnail
14-05-20, 12:33
I'm using EPG Refresh Now.
Also I should add I changed the time to 310 seconds.

abu baniaz
14-05-20, 12:45
If you select the IEPG channel and leave it on there for two minutes, do you get EPG?

BrianTheTechieSnail
14-05-20, 13:11
If you select the IEPG channel and leave it on there for two minutes, do you get EPG?

Not immediately after deleting the EPG with Menu / Setup / EPG / Load-save-delete / Delete EPG.

But if I reboot after deleting the EPG then tuning to IEPG data 1 does populate the EPG quite quickly.

abu baniaz
14-05-20, 13:13
I didn't mention anything about deleting EPG.

What is the relevance/need/reason for doing it?

And it what mode are you viewing the your services/channels.

BrianTheTechieSnail
14-05-20, 13:19
I didn't mention anything about deleting EPG.

What is the relevance/need/reason for doing it?

And it what mode are you viewing the your services/channels.

There is no way to tell if the EPG is refreshing unless you erase it first.

What mode ???

abu baniaz
14-05-20, 13:26
Are you viewing from the bouquets or service list?

BrianTheTechieSnail
14-05-20, 13:28
I was zapping to IEPG data 1 from the EPG, or keying 994 OK to go to IEPG data 1.

abu baniaz
14-05-20, 13:34
You have mentioned two separate methods. What do you do after method 1. What do you do after method 2.

BrianTheTechieSnail
14-05-20, 13:37
You have mentioned two separate methods. What do you do after method 1. What do you do after method 2.

I waited 2 - 3 minutes and then pressed EPG to see if the EPG was filling.

abu baniaz
14-05-20, 13:52
Obtaining EPG and displaying EPG are two separate processes.

The EPG screens (they display EPG) are cached. Change bouquet and then check again.

BrianTheTechieSnail
14-05-20, 15:53
Yes. If I flick through the bouquets with <PREV and NEXT> the EPG does start to appear.

How would one ever see it if you only had one bouquet?

dsayers
14-05-20, 16:02
I press TV button that seems to refresh listings

urie
14-05-20, 19:10
Yes. If I flick through the bouquets with <PREV and NEXT> the EPG does start to appear.

That don't happen to me when trying to populate freeview channels I thought that was the whole point of EPG Refresh have it setup to start automatically with false recordings for BBC ONE Scot on freeview entertainment bouquet and BBC 1 Scot HD on Freeview High Definition bouquet.

If I press file list button then EPG refresh now it populates quickly.
Just notice in file list buttons they now have changed to EPG-Refresh _Pending Services and EBG-Refresh_Stop Refresh.
Running OpenVIX 5.3.028. I also have the same problem on OpenATV 6.4

Joe_90
14-05-20, 20:22
Not sure why you need EPGRefresh on Freeview :confused:
Once you tune to a channel, the EPG will refresh automatically after a number of minutes. Same on Freesat. The built-in EPG readers will work automatically on Freeview/Freesat. You only need to tune to a specific channel (IEPG) if you require the SKY EPG on satellite. EPGRefresh just tunes to a channel you have set. The built-in readers then download the EPG info. Normal usage of Freeview or Freesat will pull in all the info. Only SKY-specific channels require special handling.

BrianTheTechieSnail
14-05-20, 20:29
Once you tune to a channel, the EPG will refresh automatically after a number of minutes. Same on Freesat. The built-in EPG readers will work automatically on Freeview/Freesat. You only need to tune to a specific channel (IEPG) if you require the SKY EPG on satellite. EPGRefresh just tunes to a channel you have set. The built-in readers then download the EPG info. Normal usage of Freeview or Freesat will pull in all the info. Only SKY-specific channels require special handling.

I want the Sky EPG for the extra channels that aren't on Freesat.

Reason I put Freeview BBC1 in EPG Refresh as well as IEPG data 1 is so that the Freeview EPG stays updated even if I don't use Freeview for a while.

Joe_90
14-05-20, 21:03
I was replying to @urie in regard to Freeview, Brian. EPGRefresh would be used if you required SKY EPG from sat. Which is what I think I said.

Sicilian
14-05-20, 21:07

I use it for Freeview also, keeps the Freeview EPG updated it not used for a period of time.

Joe_90
14-05-20, 21:22
I understand that you might want Freeview EPG updated if you don't watch it often, but once you tune to a main Freeview channel the EPG will auto-populate. So, if your main source of TV viewing is Freeview, then you don't actually need EPGRefresh - that's the point I was making. Seems like @urie was using Freeview as he didn't mention Freesat/SKY.

urie
14-05-20, 22:20
I also have Sly and IPTV but they populate no problem and yes I know I can just select a channel on freeview and it will start populating but it is a bit annoying when you tab across and the freeview channels are always empty. That was why I was trying EPG Refresh with freeview. And the only reason I do have freeview setup on the zgemma is when you changed back to normal TV it would deafen you, so terrestrial through zgemma now.

Joe_90
14-05-20, 22:48
I stand corrected. Didn't realise you were using satellite as well as Freeview. I have the equivalent of Freeview here in Ireland, but the EPG populates almost instantly. Even if it didn't populate instantly, I'd have had to be watching satellite exclusively for seven days before the Saorview/Freeview EPG ran out.

urie
14-05-20, 23:38
Yes tony just new box Zgemma H9 Combo bought it from WOS month ago so still playing around a bit trying different OS did not have the problem on last H2.S used freesat as i said no big deal just a little bit annoying :)

adm
15-05-20, 10:13

I find when changing bouquets and the the epg doesn't appear that selecting a live TV channel in that bouquet and then immediately going back to the guide (epg) it is fully populated.

adm
15-05-20, 10:37

I too have a box set to receive Terrestrial and Satellite (Freeview and Freesat/Sky FTA)

In my experience that couple of minutes could be up to 10 to populate on Freeview if the EPG has been deleted or the box hasn't been tuned to a Freeview channel for a week for watching live TV or recording hence I use EPGrefresh set to BBC Freeview. Most of my watching or recording is on Satellite.

I have my box set-up that when pressing Gude/Graphical EPG I get the list of bouquets allowing me to choose between terrestrial and satellite. If at this stage I swap bouquets from satellite that I have been watching before selecting guide/EPG to terrestrial I find that the EPG is often (but not always) completely blank of programme detail. It requires the selection of a random channel and then immediately going back into Guide/EPG for the EPG to be fully populated. This has been the same for versions of VIX since I owned the box.

I tend to use my box by pressing Guide to bring up the bouquets list and grid EPG to change channels.

Joe_90
15-05-20, 12:08
Yes, I realise that use cases where the majority of watching is on satellite could leave the terrestrial EPG somewhat sparse or even blank if left for seven days. On Irish terrestrial we have only about twenty channels including radio, so the EPG populates almost instantly. I had thought that @urie was using Freeview exclusively, but we've cleared that misunderstanding up :)

adm
15-05-20, 12:39
duplicate deleted

BrianTheTechieSnail
20-05-20, 22:59
I tried again just now and EPG Refresh is not reading Sky EPG again!
Does Sky only transmit it at night or something?

Weird.
It does seem like there is a certain time shortly after my lunch time where I cannot refresh my EPG from IEPG data 1.
I must figure out what else is on the same transponder so I can check there isn't some other kind of failure caused by the heat of the sun on the LNB or something.

BrianTheTechieSnail
20-05-20, 23:36
Weird.
It does seem like there is a certain time shortly after my lunch time where I cannot refresh my EPG from IEPG data 1.
I must figure out what else is on the same transponder so I can check there isn't some other kind of failure caused by the heat of the sun on the LNB or something.

Drat. There's nothing on there that can be viewed to see if it's being received properly.

adm
20-05-20, 23:55
Drat. There's nothing on there that can be viewed to see if it's being received properly.

Tune or select the IEPG channel then
Menu -> Information -> Service then hit the green/yellow/blue buttons in turn to see waht you are tuned into and by which tuner.

BrianTheTechieSnail
21-05-20, 04:00
Tune or select the IEPG channel then
Menu -> Information -> Service then hit the green/yellow/blue buttons in turn to see waht you are tuned into and by which tuner.

I meant I was hoping there was some video I could watch on the same transponder as IEPG data 1 so I could get some idea if the error rate was increasing too much at the times I don't seem able to refresh EPG data.

But it seems that the entire transponder is devoted to other stuff.

adm
21-05-20, 11:09
I meant I was hoping there was some video I could watch on the same transponder as IEPG data 1 so I could get some idea if the error rate was increasing too much at the times I don't seem able to refresh EPG data.

But it seems that the entire transponder is devoted to other stuff.

Select IEPG and menu -> setup -> tuners and scanning -> signal finder and see if the SNR (Signal to Noise Ratio), AGC (Automatic Gain Control) and the BER (Bit Error Rate) figures (and the lock indication) differ from what you normally see on that transponder.

In menu -> setup -> EPG -> settings have you got Automatic Refresh and Automatic Save set to yes, if so set them both to no to eliminate this as a cause.

BrianTheTechieSnail
29-05-20, 02:17
Drat again. Looks like the signal from the dish through the building's distribution system isn't very good.

I also found two traansponders that are hardly ever usable at all - 11111 H and 11082 V.