PDA

View Full Version : RAI HD Channels - Intermittent

SiWaller67
05-05-20, 13:51
Hi All

We have had standard RAI for some years now via Hotbird 13E with no problems and that continues. I recently purchased a HD card from Tivusat and the initial installation went without a hitch and I was able to watch any HD channel as well as most scrambled programmes on the normal ones.

Then for no explicable reason we lost MOST of the HD channels, retuned a few times and got them back (eventually) however the signal was poor. A few days later tried again and everything was back 100%. A few days later, guess what, all HDs bar one lost again. I haven't retuned but left it as it was since.

Clutching at straws but the only thing I can think of is that the standard RAI channels are on Hotbird 13E and most of the HD ones are on 13C. I realise they are co-located with a very small difference, is that slight difference enough for us to keep loosing the HD channels and do I need to adjust the dish for 13C specifically.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Joe_90
05-05-20, 14:36
Size of dish? Motorised or fixed? Multiple LNBs? More info needed.

SiWaller67
05-05-20, 17:08
Hi, Its a fixed dish, can't remember the exact size however it's at least 80cm if I recall (sorry it's been up 12 years and memory is rusty) and single LNB.

Simon

twol
05-05-20, 18:44
If its 12 years, I would replace the LNB and check the cabling and the alignment - a kind of refurb!
Having said all that, a larger dish probably would help..... and Yes, a few degrees can change things - I have issues with the 28.2E satellites - but i do live in a minimal signal area.

danlou
05-05-20, 18:55
you should be fine with a 60cm for Tivusat channels (Hotbird 13e), certainly in the Midlands area of UK and probalby need 70cm for Scotland...
As mentioned above I would tweak the dish and get someone to check the signal leve on screen. It may only need the slightest of movement to give you a better reading...

Joe_90
06-05-20, 00:40
Sorry for the delay in responding. The guys are giving you good advice - probably the dish position needs tweaking, though if it's rusty as you say it may be difficult to adjust. A replacement dish and LNB wouldn't be too expensive. I pick up 13E ok with an 80cm dish on the east coast of Ireland.

SiWaller67
06-05-20, 09:24
Thanks all, Dish is in good nick (no rust etc), LNB could be tired due to it's age however the signal is 100% for 13E (I'm in South Wales). I've considered weather, especially rain but there doesn't seem to be any correlation between loss of signal and that. Even for the HD channels when they are working I was getting a really good signal. Guess I may need a chap with a long ladder to take a look.