PDA

View Full Version : Likely Purchase

tonyl
19-04-20, 16:37
Hi all,

I have just joined and have more or less persuaded myself to buy the dual sat version of this box.

Initially, it will be as an evaluation as to whether an ageing Humax Foxsat HDR can be retired and this can become the 'family' FreeSat PVR with a decent sized micro SD. My other half isn't too technical but can set and view recordings on the Foxsat, so that will be the main acceptance criterion. The remote is getting dodgy and something has caused slight unreliability in recording - a series link often fails part way through the series while we are away. I also suspect the HDD may be on its way out. Even if I buy a new remote/HDD and the problems go away, it still leaves us with the rather clunky and dated EPG/user interface. I like the idea of OpenViX, so I will give it a go.

I can evaluate it using a spare feed from the current ex-Sky dish (universal LNB) on the chimney but I also have a motorised dish on the garage. This has seen better days and needs a new motor and probably a new LNB, both a lot cheaper than when originally bought.

I don't really need the facility for IPTV but would like to have a play at some point, though probably not to the extent of paying a subscription to anyone!

I realise there are other very similar specced boxes at higher and lower prices (from Zgemma H9Twin to the new AX HD61), but the other main box I looked at was the GigaBlue UHD UE. The UHD UE is really tempting, as with an extra tuner it could become both the PVR replacement and a motorised 'hobby' system. However, it does end up costing about as much as two simpler boxes once the extra tuner is included. I think it's something to bear in mind for the future, which would really come into its own if I could use a Unicable LNB on the fixed dish.

I had another thought. With the SF8008 having multiboot capability (again I know other boxes also do this), could I use a single unit booting normally into 28.2E PVR mode with a nice simple wife-friendly interface with 'Freesat' channels only and another boot taking me into 'hobby' (motorised) mode, with a DiSEqC switch or two to select the appropriate dish feed? The only drawback I can see initially is that a recording set to be made in PVR mode would presumably fail if the box was currently booted in a different mode. I suppose I will find any other issues as I play about with it.

Is my thinking above valid or completely flawed?

I expect there will be many further questions, if I do buy a box!

Tony

kuppoi
19-04-20, 19:40
welcome to the forum:)

Sicilian
20-04-20, 06:09
Is my thinking above valid or completely flawed?

Tony

Nothing flawed in your post, all looks feasable.

ronand
20-04-20, 10:19
The sf8008 now supports up to 4 images in flash memory for multiboot and yes you can use the microsd card slot for recordings

tonyl
20-04-20, 12:10
Thanks for the inputs. I'll order today from the sponsor.

Something to do while indoors if the weather changes for the worse!

Tony

Andy_Hazza
20-04-20, 12:11
Thanks for the inputs. I'll order today from the sponsor.

Something to do while indoors if the weather changes for the worse!

Tony

The AX HD61 is worth considering too. Great quality box, my personal fave out of all my boxes. [emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tonyl
20-04-20, 12:34
I did wonder about the AX HD61 but it might be a bit new and have a few teething troubles, while the SF8008 is in the position where it's reached some sort of maturity, while still being supported by the manufacturer.

Is there anything major to make it worth the extra cash? I would never say money is no object and I do like to see value for it. I can see it has an internal HDD slot but, if I intend to use an SD that's not a big deal. It also says it has double the RAM, which presumably helps at some point with performance. Does this make the picture better or make the box more responsive? On the downside HD61 doesn't have GB LAN or a USB 3.0 port, but those don't seem particularly vital, if my reading of various threads is correct. I do have a Synology NAS, so would transfer files, etc, from the box (and possibly play them via the box). I don't need/won't use the built-in WiFi on the Octagon, so that is not a key point. The remotes look pretty similar.

Sorry for asking a few questions and thanks in advance for any views you have

Tony

Andy_Hazza
20-04-20, 13:21
Hi Tony. The Octagon SF8008 is a great box also and indeed this has a Gigabit LAN. The AX company works in conjunction with Mut@nt so a respectable company in that.
You would need a microSD card as a minimum to store your EPG data (a must). You could use your NAS and let your new box record to that saving you having to move to and from with your media stuff.
The AX HD61 is a better quality box than the Octagon SF8008, but nonetheless the SF8008 is a great box and well supported.
Both remotes are Similar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tonyl
20-04-20, 13:51
Thanks for that. I hadn't appreciated the fact that the NAS could be used directly and was assuming we would use a box in the same way as we do with the Humax. Record and play stuff directly, but archive anything we wish to keep to the NAS. I could buy a relatively small micro SD initially then. The 'sweet spot' for pricing seems to be 128GB or 256GB - 64 isn't much cheaper than 128 and 512 is a lot more than double a 256.

I wasn't suggesting the AX company was in any way less respectable, simply that a new product from any manufacturer may have teething problems which nowadays get sorted in 99% of cases. I suppose we all remember stuff delivered with rubbish firmware that never got fixed and you were forced to live with it or bin the product.

twol
20-04-20, 14:29
Thanks for that. I hadn't appreciated the fact that the NAS could be used directly and was assuming we would use a box in the same way as we do with the Humax. Record and play stuff directly, but archive anything we wish to keep to the NAS. I could buy a relatively small micro SD initially then. The 'sweet spot' for pricing seems to be 128GB or 256GB - 64 isn't much cheaper than 128 and 512 is a lot more than double a 256.

I wasn't suggesting the AX company was in any way less respectable, simply that a new product from any manufacturer may have teething problems which nowadays get sorted in 99% of cases. I suppose we all remember stuff delivered with rubbish firmware that never got fixed and you were forced to live with it or bin the product.
When the predecessor was announced (the HD51) it really set the scene for todays models - so its not like they have no track record - the HD51 was a super box from day 1, with features many copied.

Joe_90
20-04-20, 17:54
I still have the HD51 - super box, very fast. The only issue I had with it was a problem driving a motor initially. It was fixed quickly with a firmware release.

tonyl
20-04-20, 17:56
Thanks all. I've gone for the Octagon but don't rule out getting a different one next time round, if only to have an attractive box in the rack!

Sicilian
20-04-20, 22:31
The AX HD61 is my fav box to play around with at the moment.