PDA

View Full Version : Gigablue UHD UE or VU+ Uno 4K SE?

youngsyp
16-04-20, 10:14
Hi,

I'm about to wrap up my subscription to Sky Q and am looking for opinions/ experiences with regards to the receiver I use as the heart of the replacement solution. The short list is either the Gigablue UHD UE or the VU+ Uno 4K SE. They both seem to offer very similar specs and functionality but, I'm favouring the VU+ unit currently, for the remote.

My use case is to have the dish pointed at 28.2E. The receiver will be fed via a Unicable II LNB and used with the main TV via HDMI. I'd like to use my ethernet network to stream live TV and recordings from it to a smart TV upstairs. There's an app the TV can use to playback/ display this content (SmartIPTV I believe). The receiver must be easy to use, day to day but, I don't mind getting my hands dirty setting it up. I have basic Linux skills but an very adept at Googling.

If the receiver is able to offer the main OD apps (Netflix, Prime, Disney+, NowTV etc) all the better but, that's a nice to have as the TVs will give most of them and I have an Apple TV to supply the others.

Any advice, recommendations and opinions welcome.

Paul

twol
16-04-20, 13:25
My view ----> Gigablue UHD UE

youngsyp
16-04-20, 13:28
My view ----> Gigablue UHD UEOK great.

But, why?

Paul

twol
16-04-20, 14:04
Excellent quality receiver and remote - reliable - multiboot capability...... its one of my very heavily used test boxes and takes that without any issues.

........ but if the Unicable is not the highest requirement, there are some really good receivers out there.

youngsyp
16-04-20, 14:20
Excellent quality receiver and remote - reliable - multiboot capability...... its one of my very heavily used test boxes and takes that without any issues.

........ but if the Unicable is not the highest requirement, there are some really good receivers out there.OK thanks.

Excellent quality and reliability are a must but, the VU+ looks to be comparable in those respects and the remote looks nicer to my eyes. Subjectively, I also like the look of the VU+ unit more.

I guess what I'm getting at is, and I'm not intending to poo poo your response/ opinion, for my use case, is the Gigablue a better choice than the VU+ unit?

Unicable is a must. Mostly from the perspective of amount of cabling that needs to be run but, also simplicity and compatibility with wanting many channels (tuners) available simultaneously.

Paul

Andy_Hazza
16-04-20, 15:35
You should take a look at the new AX HD61 receiver. Great quality. Great specs. Great price.

>> https://www.world-of-satellite.co.uk/satellite-and-terrestrial/digital-receivers/AX-Technology

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

joysleep1
16-04-20, 15:36
You should take a look at the new AX HD61 receiver. Great quality. Great specs. Great price.

>> https://www.world-of-satellite.co.uk/satellite-and-terrestrial/digital-receivers/AX-Technology

Who are this brand? Never heard of them.

Andy_Hazza
16-04-20, 15:37
AX & Mut@nt work together.

joysleep1
16-04-20, 15:40
Hi,

I'm about to wrap up my subscription to Sky Q and am looking for opinions/ experiences with regards to the receiver I use as the heart of the replacement solution. The short list is either the Gigablue UHD UE or the VU+ Uno 4K SE. They both seem to offer very similar specs and functionality but, I'm favouring the VU+ unit currently, for the remote.

My use case is to have the dish pointed at 28.2E. The receiver will be fed via a Unicable II LNB and used with the main TV via HDMI. I'd like to use my ethernet network to stream live TV and recordings from it to a smart TV upstairs. There's an app the TV can use to playback/ display this content (SmartIPTV I believe). The receiver must be easy to use, day to day but, I don't mind getting my hands dirty setting it up. I have basic Linux skills but an very adept at Googling.

If the receiver is able to offer the main OD apps (Netflix, Prime, Disney+, NowTV etc) all the better but, that's a nice to have as the TVs will give most of them and I have an Apple TV to supply the others.

Any advice, recommendations and opinions welcome.

Paul

I am more of a VU fan. I had the original duo then the solo2 . Currently have the ultimo 4k and Duo 4k. They have all been excellent solid well built receivers. I agree with you the remote is the best and universal which helps

youngsyp
16-04-20, 15:51

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkThanks for this. Not a device I had looked at previously. It doesn't look to have a FBC tuner though. Will this limit my options, with a Unicable LNB and wanting watch/ record and stream multiple channels simultaneously?

Paul

youngsyp
16-04-20, 15:55
I am more of a VU fan. I had the original duo then the solo2 . Currently have the ultimo 4k and Duo 4k. They have all been excellent solid well built receivers. I agree with you the remote is the best and universal which helpsThanks.

I think I'm coming round to the fact that the device itself is much of a muchness here as they will both do what I want. However, the preference will come from the the details.

Do you stream live TV/ recordings to other devices, from them at all? This is an important feature as I'm trying to emulate this Sky Q functionality to keep the wife happy.

Paul

Andy_Hazza
Thanks for this. Not a device I had looked at previously. It doesn't look to have a FBC tuner though. Will this limit my options, with a Unicable LNB and wanting watch/ record and stream multiple channels simultaneously?

Will need to be either a Gigablue or Vu+ then if you are wanting FBC setup. Both devices don’t offer Stalker if you were wanting a nice IPTV interface though. But the Vu+ do a brilliant remote I must admit. [emoji4]

Sicilian

+1 for me, been testing a AX HD61 for a couple of weeks. Excellent fast spec receiver. Setup also with Kodi 18.6 Neflix, Amazon VOD & Disney+ addons, perfect :)

joysleep1
AX & Mut@nt work together.

It does not even look like its got gagabit lan support either.

youngsyp
16-04-20, 15:56
Will need to be either a Gigablue or Vu+ then if you are wanting FBC setup. Both devices don’t offer Stalker if you were wanting a nice IPTV interface though. But the Vu+ do a brilliant remote I must admit. [emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkThanks.

I've read the name Stalker a number of times, but don't know what it actually does. I'll do some research to see what I'm possibly missing.

Paul

joysleep1
16-04-20, 16:01
Thanks.

I think I'm coming round to the fact that the device itself is much of a muchness here as they will both do what I want. However, the preference will come from the the details.

Do you stream live TV/ recordings to other devices, from them at all? This is an important feature as I'm trying to emulate this Sky Q functionality to keep the wife happy.

Paul

Well my VU duo 4k streams of my ultimo 4k receiver. I use remotechannel stream converter to stream the channels from my main receiver if that is what you mean. It works perfectly well.

joysleep1
16-04-20, 16:02

Is Stalker another app within the receiver tho. I would much rather IPTV be integrated within my main channel bouquets anyway which any enigma 2 receiver can do

youngsyp
16-04-20, 16:05
Well my VU duo 4k streams of my ultimo 4k receiver. I use remotechannel stream converter to stream the channels from my main receiver if that is what you mean. It works perfectly well.Same principle but, I'd be streaming from the Uno 4K SE to a smart TV directly, over IP. Or possibly a yet to be bought media player of some sort via the same method.

Paul

joysleep1
16-04-20, 16:07
Same principle but, I'd be streaming from the Uno 4K SE to a smart TV directly, over IP. Or possibly a yet to be bought media player of some sort via the same method.

Paul

Oh i am not sure about that sorry. Maybe someone else more experienced can elaborate on that part

Andy_Hazza
16-04-20, 16:08
Same principle but, I'd be streaming from the Uno 4K SE to a smart TV directly, over IP. Or possibly a yet to be bought media player of some sort via the same method.

Paul

You are best deciding on your main receiver then adding client only boxes in each of your required rooms, something like the Zgemma i55 Plus. Then you can set it up so you can view recordings on your main box and view channels from your main box.

Sicilian
16-04-20, 16:09

Paul

I'm unaware of any app on smart TV that will connect direct to a Enigma2 receiver. Pretty sure you'll need a client box to do this.

Sicilian
16-04-20, 16:28
It does not even look like its got gagabit lan support either.

Not a deal breaker for me, this box streams better and plays back better any media content I've thrown to it even 4K Conent on my NAS. A lot of which my Ultimo 4K falls over on. I've found Hislicon based boxes much, much better for media streaming than any broadcom based receiver. Kodi on a this box is much better than any broadcom based receiver.

dsayers
16-04-20, 16:48
I'm unaware of any app on smart TV that will connect direct to a Enigma2 receiver. Pretty sure you'll need a client box to do this.

You can use openwebif to create m3u url and use smart iptv app although it wouldn't look good.

Client box will be best or android box with an app like vu+ player although if buying a new box it would be best getting an enigma2 box for client as the layout will be better.

danny121pt
16-04-20, 16:52
IPTV via bouquets utilising Suls, Jedi, Xtream Editor (either one) if set up correct is alot better for IPTV on Enigma2 opposed to Stalker-QT, Stalker-QT is good also, based around a Mag JSON and interface is Mag Box, Stb Emu on android and such like etc. Most UK users would choose bouquets over Stalker-QT, especially as apps like Streamity now for easy VOD viewing also.

As for Streaming to a TV, you could use Dream Player on a FireStick, or Dream Player on Nvidia Shield, then link E2 in to integrated Live Channels app, or if have own Plex Server, could run HR Tuner Proxy on E2, via on Plex Server, the stream around house on Plex. Alternatively just buy a second e2 device and use as a client box. (just some examples)

Kodi is better on Hiliscon boxes.

joysleep1
16-04-20, 19:25
IPTV via bouquets utilising Suls, Jedi, Xtream Editor (either one) if set up correct is alot better for IPTV on Enigma2 opposed to Stalker-QT, Stalker-QT is good also, based around a Mag JSON and interface is Mag Box, Stb Emu on android and such like etc. Most UK users would choose bouquets over Stalker-QT, especially as apps like Streamity now for easy VOD viewing also.

As for Streaming to a TV, you could use Dream Player on a FireStick, or Dream Player on Nvidia Shield, then link E2 in to integrated Live Channels app, or if have own Plex Server, could run HR Tuner Proxy on E2, via on Plex Server, the stream around house on Plex. Alternatively just buy a second e2 device and use as a client box. (just some examples)

Kodi is better on Hiliscon boxes.

Yh I agree it's user friendly when integrated with your current bouquets. Suls works very well

joysleep1
16-04-20, 19:26
Not a deal breaker for me, this box streams better and plays back better any media content I've thrown to it even 4K Conent on my NAS. A lot of which my Ultimo 4K falls over on. I've found Hislicon based boxes much, much better for media streaming than any broadcom based receiver. Kodi on a this box is much better than any broadcom based receiver.

Surely streaming something over the network especially a 4k file would require gigabit speeds right?
Also your transferring large films to your receiver would be much quicker if you had gigabit connection.

ccs
16-04-20, 19:31
25Mb is the absolute minimum bandwidth to stream 4k films.

Sicilian
16-04-20, 20:15
Surely streaming something over the network especially a 4k file would require gigabit speeds right?
Also your transferring large films to your receiver would be much quicker if you had gigabit connection.

Why? Highest bitrate 4k UHD movie I have is Lucy 85913 kbps, streams perfect on the AX HD61 and other Hisilicon boxes with 10/100 LAN port, most broadcom boxes struggle with the high bitrate scenes.

Also with the Hisilicon boxes they use Hiplayer hardware playback in Kodi, uses kodi's own media player, not e2player that broadcom boxes use.

youngsyp
16-04-20, 21:14
You are best deciding on your main receiver then adding client only boxes in each of your required rooms, something like the Zgemma i55 Plus. Then you can set it up so you can view recordings on your main box and view channels from your main box.

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkYes, agreed. Which is what this thread is for.

Kodi is better on Hiliscon boxes.Very useful, thank you.
The current TV in the bedroom is 'dumb'. So the idea was to replace it with an 2019/ 2020 LG smart TV. With WebOS, these seem to have a great app marketplace and I'd read, elsewhere, apps that allow what I want. However, that approach isn't set in stone and I could quite happily keep the current TV and use a dedicated box as a stream client. I would like to use NowTV, as a bare minimum on that client device though, for the Sky 'entertainment' channels.

This (https://siptv.app/news/) is one of the LG TV apps said to do what I want.

Certainly more avenues to explore now.

Paul

Sicilian
17-04-20, 06:37
@ Youngsyp, going by your requirements you've described I'd recommend a receiver with FBC tuners such as the Gigablue UHD UE 4K, Gigablue UHD Qaud 4K, VU+ Uno 4K SE or VU+ Ultimo 4K.

For client box I'd suggest the Zgemma i55 plus.

twol
17-04-20, 07:30
Yes, agreed. Which is what this thread is for.

Very useful, thank you.
The current TV in the bedroom is 'dumb'. So the idea was to replace it with an 2019/ 2020 LG smart TV. With WebOS, these seem to have a great app marketplace and I'd read, elsewhere, apps that allow what I want. However, that approach isn't set in stone and I could quite happily keep the current TV and use a dedicated box as a stream client. I would like to use NowTV, as a bare minimum on that client device though, for the Sky 'entertainment' channels.

This (https://siptv.app/news/) is one of the LG TV apps said to do what I want.

Certainly more avenues to explore now.

Paul
The thing to remember with Smart TV's is that the manufacturers never update the apps once the TV is shipped - so you can be left with a dumb TV.. again - you are at the mercy of these guys

youngsyp
17-04-20, 09:36
@ Youngsyp, going by your requirements you've described I'd recommend a receiver with FBC tuners such as the Gigablue UHD UE 4K, Gigablue UHD Qaud 4K, VU+ Uno 4K SE or VU+ Ultimo 4K.Yes, thanks this is the crux of this thread. I'm trying to decide between the Gigablue UHD UE 4K and the VU+ UNO 4K SE, as per the thread title.

The thing to remember with Smart TV's is that the manufacturers never update the apps once the TV is shipped - so you can be left with a dumb TV.. again - you are at the mercy of these guysThat depends on the TV manufacturer really. Typically LG support their TV's a number of years after launch. My 2016 OLED was getting updates in 2019, for example. The 2017 versions of that TV got the Disney+ app this year too I believe.

That aside, I think I've moved on from the idea of the TV change. I bought a Roku Express last night for £20 so, that will give me the OD apps I need for the bedroom TV. I'll now need to look at some form of IPTV client for the Live TV and recordings streaming from the main box. I'm pretty settled on the main box being the VU+ Uno 4K SE. And that being the case, I considering the a VU+ Zero HD for the IPTV client, if that will allow me to do what I want.

Paul

That aside,

youngsyp
17-04-20, 09:41
Well my VU duo 4k streams of my ultimo 4k receiver. I use remotechannel stream converter to stream the channels from my main receiver if that is what you mean. It works perfectly well.Coming back to this again. As above, I think I've decided on the VU+ Uno 4K SE for my main box and possibly a VU+ Zero HD for the bedroom TV box. With your set up, using Remotechannel Stream Converter, can you stream both live TV and recordings from your Ultimo 4K to your Duo 4K?

And what image are you using on your boxes?

Paul

Andy_Hazza
17-04-20, 09:44
Vu+ Zero is very slow these days, unless you mean the 4K version?

Like I’ve said though you will have to use Suls, Jedi etc for your IPTV needs if you go down the Giga & Vu+ route. Stalker would be easier for you to manage etc.

Also the media content playback on the Vu+ is not fantastic, for instance if you have 4K films etc.

joysleep1
17-04-20, 09:47
Coming back to this again. As above, I think I've decided on the VU+ Uno 4K SE for my main box and possibly a VU+ Zero HD for the bedroom TV box. With your set up, using Remotechannel Stream Converter, can you stream both live TV and recordings from your Ultimo 4K to your Duo 4K?

And what image are you using on your boxes?

Paul

Yes i can stream and play any recordings. I always use Openvix image. By far the best

joysleep1
17-04-20, 09:54

Like I’ve said though you will have to use Suls, Jedi etc for your IPTV needs if you go down the Giga & Vu+ route. Stalker would be easier for you to manage etc.

Also the media content playback on the Vu+ is not fantastic, for instance if you have 4K films etc.

I dunno what 4k films you have tried but i have no issues playing back any files on my ultimo 4k and duo 4k. Yes sometimes natively it did not work great but when you play through EXT player it is perfect. I have tried other receivers that actually stutter on scenes and is really choppy but have never had that problem on these VU models that i have

Andy_Hazza
17-04-20, 09:55
What sort of bitrate you talking on your 4K films?

joysleep1
17-04-20, 10:00

Erm.. i cant seem to remember the bitrate but i remember posting that info a while a go from mediainfo. But i have tried many dolby atmos 4k films and i have no issues playing them on my VU receivers using EXT player.

joysleep1
17-04-20, 10:03

Here is something i found.

This file for example stuggled to play on the mut@nt HD51 and the Zgemma H7 but plays flawlessly on the VU receivers that i have

youngsyp
17-04-20, 10:37

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkNo, I meant the HD version, so that's useful information thanks. Maybe the 4K version is a better bet then. It'll be a bit more future proof too.

I probably should clarify, when I write IPTV, I really mean Sat>IP. I've no real interest in IPTV as a a medium. Similarly, I have no interest in media playback from the sat boxes either. Under the main TV I have a NUC that I use with Kodi for stored movies (streamed from a Windows server) and watch everything else via OD services. And if I really want the best picture quality, I'll just buy the UHD BD. The bedroom TV is used solely by my wife, who just wants an easy life as far as TV is concerned.

Yes i can stream and play any recordings. I always use Openvix image. By far the bestGood to know, thanks. Openvix was at the top of my list, purely because it's the first option in the selection, from the sponsors website.

Paul

youngsyp
17-04-20, 11:02
I've just noticed the GiGaBlue UHD Trio 4K is comparable in price to the VU+ Uno HD but, way more powerful. I wonder of this would work with Remote Channel Stream Converter, picking up streams from the main VU+ Uno 4K SE receiver?!

Paul

joysleep1
17-04-20, 11:06
I've just noticed the GiGaBlue UHD Trio 4K is comparable in price to the VU+ Uno HD but, way more powerful. I wonder of this would work with Remote Channel Stream Converter, picking up streams from the main VU+ Uno 4K SE receiver?!

Paul

It would be fine. The brands dont have to match. They are both enigma 2 receivers and remotechannel stream would work perfectly

youngsyp
17-04-20, 11:16
It would be fine. The brands dont have to match. They are both enigma 2 receivers and remotechannel stream would work perfectlyThanks again.

No excuses now then, I need to make a decision.

One last question, out of interest. From your client box, are you able to see the server boxes EPG? I've just read (in a 5 year old post) that you need to use a specific type of EPG for this to occur. EIT-EPG?!

Paul

joysleep1
17-04-20, 11:28
Thanks again.

No excuses now then, I need to make a decision.

One last question, out of interest. From your client box, are you able to see the server boxes EPG? I've just read (in a 5 year old post) that you need to use a specific type of EPG for this to occur. EIT-EPG?!

Paul

Yh i use EPG importer and it works fine. I think there are other ways of doing it but this is the way it works for me.

youngsyp
17-04-20, 11:36
Yh i use EPG importer and it works fine. I think there are other ways of doing it but this is the way it works for me.Perfect, thank you.

Paul