PDA

View Full Version : Nameserver settings in Xtrend ET8500

Delboy181251
15-02-20, 20:01
Since updating to latest addition of Openvix 5.3.016 from a very old version, I cannot seem to access the internet. On the internet test, I get "IP Address Unconfirmed" and under it "Nameserver unconfirmed.
My manual does not seem to mention the Nameserver settings. Can anyone please advise what I need to do in simple terms.
I have tried 2 different ethernet cables both of which work on other connections.
I am using the same set up as before. I.e. From my modem through 1 set of Plug-in Adaptors to an 8 port ethernet hub and one of the outputs is to my Xtrend.
Thanks in advance.

Andy_Hazza
15-02-20, 20:02
Using VPN?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

adm
15-02-20, 21:10
Try switching your box off at the mains power switch for 60 seconds to allow the box a cold boot when the power is restored. Try also to get started Menu -> Setup -> Network -> Adapter settings ->
Use interface = yes
Use DHCP = yes

Nameserver (DNS) settings are two IP addresses provided by your Internet supplier and/or it will still work if automatically set to the IP of your router.
Google [YOUR internet provider] DNS, example google "pulsenet DNS" or "Sky DNS" or "BT DNS" etc. Different suppliers use different IP addresses for their recommended DNS.

Delboy181251
16-02-20, 12:13
Thanks for your help guys, which I have followed but am no further forward and Andy, I am not using a VPN.
BT have helped to a point and told me how to find the Xtrend ET8500 IP address within my BT Smart Hub section (My Devices) using my computer, no such information seems available for that port.
I have identified that the MAC address of the 8500 is on port 6 of my ethernet hub within this information, which incidentally is greyed out.
When I click on that port for more information it states:-
Device Icon - Unknown. Connection Status - Disconnected. IP Address - "This device either does not support or is not configured for IPv4 addressing." Connection Type - Unknown. Address assignment - Static. Always use this IP Address is set to NO.
IPv6 addressing - "The Smart Hub is currently not enabled for IPv6 addressing". Port Forwarding - "No Port Forwarding rules have been set for this device. " NB. I have a small "CHANGE SETTINGS" box at the side of this Port Forwarding statement. and a similar box at the top of this page.
I would be very grateful for any further guidance. Thanks again in advance.

birdman
16-02-20, 12:53
Address assignment - Static.Which means it's expecting you to set the IP address of the box, the DNS servers and the gateway router,.
If you're expecting that to happen automatically set it to the other option (DHCP?).

Delboy181251
16-02-20, 13:25
It is set to DHCP?

Delboy181251
16-02-20, 13:39
It is set to DHCP?

Delboy181251
16-02-20, 13:42
I think my problem may be deeper than this. Having switched off the box for a few minutes, on boot up I get the Openvix please wait screen then the rotating VIX sign, then back to the please wait sign and it locks on this.

bellejt
16-02-20, 14:05
probably best to reflash the box by usb

twol
16-02-20, 14:10
I think my problem may be deeper than this. Having switched off the box for a few minutes, on boot up I get the Openvix please wait screen then the rotating VIX sign, then back to the please wait sign and it locks on this.
Switched off without closing down????

cactikid
16-02-20, 14:33
Could i ask if everything was powered off,box,router,homeplugs then switched on and after a few minutes run the network again.
Has your router locked your box out with something like child safe as it might be just a setting in there to switch to on.

Delboy181251
16-02-20, 14:51
Hi twol, I may have done this in all my messing.
Hi cactikid, I have already done as you suggest but no different. There is no child safe set on my BT hub as BT did a reset from their end this morning. My router is just not recognising the 8500 for some reason. I am going to be speaking to BT later as they cannot help me atm as their computer systems are all down. May have to do as bellejt suggests and reflash the latest vix software again?

Delboy181251
16-02-20, 15:49
Hi,
Can I ask what should be happening on my TV screen during flashing of Openvix software?

cactikid
16-02-20, 16:33
You should see usb flashing and 2 graphs on screen showing image downloading followed by box rebooting.

Delboy181251
16-02-20, 18:58
Thanks cactikid,
By "Donloading I presume you mean from the USB stick.
That is not happening. I have a 1 Tb 2.5" HDD drive inserted in my caddy which has some old back ups on. I have used the recommended HP Formatting Tool and Teracopy and loaded the Folder named et8500 onto my USB stick. With usb in place at rear of box, on switching box on, I see the flashing red/blue LEDs flashing and touch it. After a while I get a screen that says "Welcome to the restore wizard". When I chose OK to perform a restore I get another screen that allows me to choose a restore, from my HDD, whereupon I get another screen saying "Please wait while the system gathers information." After a while i get another screen telling me that I am not connected to the internet and to use the Backup Manager to restore the plug-ins when I have a network connection. The box then auto-reboots and eventually i am confronted with a "Service not found" error. At this point I can "fudge my way" into the box and pull in 28.2E satellite stations. But all the time this is happening the Openvix screen is sitting behind the scan. After all this, when I run the Network Test, I am left with "IP Address Unconfirmed" and under it "Nameserver unconfirmed" . I have tried to reset the box to its factory (non-Openvix) state using a file from the internet but all that happened there was the Xtrend screen remained on indefinitely. Any suggestions please or is the box knackered?

twol
16-02-20, 19:29
I don‘t think there is any issue with the box- in my view the ET8500 was one of the best boxes ever - I had two and beat them to death, including power drops!
The issue is the inabIlity to get a network connection and by the way system reset getS you no where - so don‘t do it.... and stop messing around with files from the internet.

1) Menu/setup/ViX/Imagemanager
2) yellow button download latest ViX image
3) select downloaded image - blue button flash
4) do not restore settings or plugins
5) just follow the wizard setup accepting the basics e.g language, 1080 and whatever the network wizard decides

6) setup tuner by letting find your setup.
7) let it scan transponders
8) check you can access BBC1 - up button, select satellites (green button) and find BBC1
9) LAST ! Menu/Information/network ... what does it say??

cactikid
16-02-20, 21:50
Possible reason box not flashed could be your caddy was still plugged in.Only usb stick small size to be used.

@twol If box has no internet how does Image manager download the latest image?

I would also check box at a different place to see if lan connects which i think it will.

twol
16-02-20, 22:11
Possible reason box not flashed could be your caddy was still plugged in.Only usb stick small size to be used.

@twol If box has no internet how does Image manager download the latest image?

I would also check box at a different place to see if lan connects which i think it will.

Very astute - got carried away!!

adm
16-02-20, 22:34
It is set to DHCP?

Is both your BT router/Hub and the 8500 both set for DHCP?

On the subject of boot sequence the boot time could take up to 3x longer if you havent got a working internet connection to the box.
I've seen this in the past AND recently when I had my router unplugged because of a change in ISP service. A boot of upto 3 minutes seems a lifetime when watching for it to complete.

Delboy181251
17-02-20, 10:21
Hi guys,
Thanks to your help I think I am getting there. Did as twol suggested and i think for the first time there was evidence of flashing in that the 2 bar graphs appeared and competed successfully. I left the USB stick out and chose my last image backup from last week for flashing. This was on my caddied HDD. However on boot up it seems locked on the Please Wait screen. It has been sitting there for about 15 minutes. So still something not right. So I never got the wizard, (perhaps because I was re-flashing an image I had used before?). However, I pressed my remote, followed the rest of twol's instructions and got BBC1. Now I can report that info on Network is as follows:-

Please note that the LAN connection is not GREEN.
I can also confirm that my computer still reports that my port 6 is not connected and there is no IP Address shown and, at the box end, the NETWORK TEST still says IP Address Unconfirmed and Nameserver Unconfirmed.
Further assistance would be appreciated. Thanks again in advance.

Delboy181251
17-02-20, 10:57
I forgot to say that with regards to re-positioning the box nearer to the router, it would be awkward, and in any case, on test, I am getting 35Mb/s feeding to my Nvidia Shield fed from one of the other ports in the wired in ethernet hub so I wouldn't expect there should be any connection problems at all.
Thanks in advance of further help.

twol
17-02-20, 11:52
Hi guys,
Thanks to your help I think I am getting there. Did as twol suggested and i think for the first time there was evidence of flashing in that the 2 bar graphs appeared and competed successfully. I left the USB stick out and chose my last image backup from last week for flashing. This was on my caddied HDD. However on boot up it seems locked on the Please Wait screen. It has been sitting there for about 15 minutes. So still something not right. So I never got the wizard, (perhaps because I was re-flashing an image I had used before?). However, I pressed my remote, followed the rest of twol's instructions and got BBC1.
Please note that the LAN connection is not GREEN..
So I am now really intrigued -because as somebody pointed out my idea was pretty stupid - BUT you actually managed to use ImageManager to flash an image? (That was already there or downloaded?)
You didn‘t get the wizard because you restored an existing backup - I was suggesting that you say no to the restore and then you will get the wizard.
I am just wondering if you (somehow) have 2 boxes with the same mac address

Delboy181251
17-02-20, 12:52
Could everything I need to flash a saved image on my HDD be availble without the need to access the net?
I can confirm that according to my computer when accessing my hub info there is only one device with that MAC address. When I have tried (with 2 different USB sticks), this time with my internal caddied HD removed, I do not see any flashing bands, just the Xtrend start up logo followed by the VIX "please wait" screen but then i do get the wizard, but when I get to the Network section it tells me that I have no internet connection and to try to connect later. One thing I have noticed is that when I access Network Info, the LAN connection is lit GREEN for about 2 seconds and then goes GREY?
Also with regards to your point number 4) do not restore settings or plugins, I do not seem to see any mention of this as I work through it?
Also as I am having no success with USB stick, I take it that I will have to get this ethernet problem solved and then access the latest VIX update via the net using the machine?
Does anyone know if I could purchase a USB stick preloaded with the latest VIX software that would be guarranteed to work? I ask this because I have read that certain USB sticks do not work with the box and perhaps that could be part of my problem.
FYI the photo below shows the image, I have flashed back to, which is a few years old.

Andy_Hazza
17-02-20, 13:36
Can you not use Image Manager to flash 5.3?

Delboy181251
17-02-20, 13:40
hi twol,
No I can't as when I choose download the window that comes up for me to select which update I want to download there is nothing in the list (again because i do not have a network connection).
Could the LAN section within the box be defective?
Within the box info if I choose Devices it stated Network servers - None, but yet there is a green light on my ethernet hub suggesting a 1000M connection is reaching the port in question. As stated before, i have tried 3 different ethernet cables between the hub and the box but no difference.
Thanks in advance for any further assistance.

twol
17-02-20, 13:59
So I guess we are going round in circles at the moment - so can you visit someone local where you can try the box on another lan? - just to prove if its a network issue or box isssue.

Andy_Hazza
17-02-20, 14:03
Can you FTP into the box?

Delboy181251
17-02-20, 14:14
Yes when I can locate a male to male lead. I have Filezilla on my computer. Could this help?

Willo3092
17-02-20, 14:24
You should be able to flash by USB if you format the stick properly. I use bootice and it works every time.

BootICE download (http://www.willobuild.net/files/Utilities/Preparing%20Flash%20Drives.zip)

Delboy181251
17-02-20, 14:30
Thanks willo3092, I will try it.
May seem a stupid question at this stage but i do put the actual et8500 folder onto the stick not just the contents?

twol
17-02-20, 14:37
Yes ........ http://www.openvix.co.uk/openvix-builds/Guides%20and%20Tutorials/Flashing%20Guides/Xtrend%20USB%20Flashing%20Guides/How%20to%20Flash%20a%20Xtrend%20ET8500%20receiver% 20by%20USB.pdf

Delboy181251
17-02-20, 15:12
I have just used the BOOTice and transferred over my folder named et8500 which contains 5 files, activated the start button when it showed flashing blue/purple and it went solid blue/purple, but all I got was a re-boot after about a 90 secs and no progress bars to show any flashing. It has now come to a restore screen saying "A backup has been detected" and the option to accept RESTORE or Exit Restore Wizard.
Do not know what to do from here? If I choose EXIT will that be OK. Also if this is all OK do I need to remove the USB stick? Please advise.

twol
17-02-20, 15:15
Exit restore wizard
you only get the flashing bars with ImageManager

oldtimer
17-02-20, 15:18
Had problem of cam not starting when changing boxes [have 2 with same line] had to bypass vpn-on seperate modem- to start cam then revert back to vpn and reboot box and all was ok,not very well up on this but worked for me,hope this has been of help.

Delboy181251
17-02-20, 16:09
Guys,
So I have gone through Basic settings and NETWORK wizard still says No Internet. Still does not seem to have found the USB flashing software as no bars and if I go into VIX the only thing it sees is the backup on my HDD.

Delboy181251
17-02-20, 16:25
Hi oldtimer,
Thanks for your suggestion, but I am not using a VPN

twol
17-02-20, 16:31
Guys,
So I have gone through Basic settings and NETWORK wizard still says No Internet. Still does not seem to have found the USB flashing software as no bars and if I go into VIX the only thing it sees is the backup on my HDD.

So i think you need to find another location where you can test your box

Delboy181251
17-02-20, 16:38
Ok, I will try and test it elsewhere and get back to you all. Cheers.

cactikid
17-02-20, 22:40
Scratching my head here as how can box find a backup of a previous image if only storage device is the image which you are trying to flash.
What make and size are your usb sticks.
I presume you put usb stick in rear of box while powered off then switched it on.

cactikid
17-02-20, 22:55
Yes when I can locate a male to male lead. I have Filezilla on my computer. Could this help?

What is this lead your talking about and dont say Null modem as i think that had a special loader.

Delboy181251
17-02-20, 23:18
I don't think the USB upgrade worked. I had my internal HDD with a few saved images and used one of those and flashed it back. Seemed to work but still no internet.
The lead I am on about is a USB male to male which I have used in the past to link box to my computer and open up Filezilla. That is what I thought was meant by "Can you FTP the box". Correct me if I am wrong.
Cheers.

cactikid
17-02-20, 23:26
Filezilla is used to network link box and pc to send files to box.
Box needs a network ip to input details into filezilla to get a connection.
Not heard of a cable hookup to filezilla from pc to box.

Very old boxes i did use a null modem cable for flashing images and not used those hit and miss usb ones.

No mention of what usb.

birdman
18-02-20, 02:26
Are you trying to use a Wireless or connexion or an Ethernet cable?

Delboy181251
18-02-20, 13:36
Hi Guys,
Sorry to have messed you about but really appreciate the responses and help. It is now resolved. Turned out to be that my TP Link Powerline adapters needed resetting. I was convinced that would not be the case as the adapter in my TV room was still flashing furiously. It turns out that other kit in the room was still functioning via WiFi so that confused me too. I think I am right in saying that the ET8500 is not WiFi enabled?
Anyhow I have now successfully downloaded and flashed the latest VIX. Now down to the task of resorting my motorised dish Satellite system. So I may be back for more assistance sooner rather than later.
Many thanks again for all your help.

cactikid
18-02-20, 22:29
Think you not done post 11 as mentioned homeplugs but glad you rechecked/reread posts and now got it working,same time next week is good.We all have missed things on the odd times.The result was you got there in the end,so enjoy.

Delboy181251
20-02-20, 11:32
@cactikid. i have been reading up on homeplugs and their ability to drop connections sometimes, although I think in my case that is the first time it has happened. Apparently, if there is no activity they can drop out and not always trip back in. I will watch the situation closely for now.