PDA

View Full Version : Signal strength - impressed!! better than MIO 4K

manikm
15-01-20, 02:02
impressed!!!!

Tonight, on 10e, in the wind, a channel called FEED 1 - breaks up on my EDISION MIO 4K but doesnt on the ZGEMMA H7S. - signal reports 43% on ZGEMMA, but 60% on EDISION - ive seen this before, satellite receivers, MISREPORTING channel strength - like inflating the real signal - giving the impression the tuner is MORE sensitive, but its not always the case, and its been proven here.

very happy!

crazy but a stable signal on H7S - as low as 38% - 40%

but breaking up on EDISION 4K (off same LNB quad) at reported 60% signal.

twol
15-01-20, 06:34
You cannot compare SNR across receivers, its a relative value.

manikm
15-01-20, 07:46
You cannot compare SNR across receivers, its a relative value.

wise words, however, I was merely reporting the fact that when one receiver breaks up on a marginal signal, and one doesn't - it suggests (to me at least) that the STB which isn't breaking up on the SAME channel - has a better tuner.

Emulated
15-01-20, 09:50
impressed!!!!

Tonight, on 10e, in the wind, a channel called FEED 1 - breaks up on my EDISION MIO 4K but doesnt on the ZGEMMA H7S. - signal reports 43% on ZGEMMA, but 60% on EDISION - ive seen this before, satellite receivers, MISREPORTING channel strength - like inflating the real signal - giving the impression the tuner is MORE sensitive, but its not always the case, and its been proven here.

very happy!

crazy but a stable signal on H7S - as low as 38% - 40%

but breaking up on EDISION 4K (off same LNB quad) at reported 60% signal.

You will get different readings on each connection.

twol
15-01-20, 13:19
wise words, however, I was merely reporting the fact that when one receiver breaks up on a marginal signal, and one doesn't - it suggests (to me at least) that the STB which isn't breaking up on the SAME channel - has a better tuner.

Not really - I live in an area that is extremely marginal for FTA 28.2E and my old Xtrends could hold the lock as long as there was any reasonable signal, not true of any of the newer receivers - but I wouldn’t say that the Xtrend tuners were better as they couldn’t do any of the s2x or blindscan stuff.

manikm
15-01-20, 14:39
you're not comparing apples to apples though, i was.

ccs
15-01-20, 14:57
you're not comparing apples to apples though, i was.
So you swapped the cable from one box to the other, or have they different feeds?

manikm
15-01-20, 15:38
Quad LNB - one cable (motor side) going to one receiver (H7S) - the other passive connection going to MIO 4K - same cable spec and run length
No doubt someone will now say the other passive connection might have an issue. LOL

abu baniaz
15-01-20, 16:43
For a controlled test, you use the same equipment.

manikm
15-01-20, 17:53
For a controlled test, you use the same equipment.

I think it was in reality. You could even argue, the feed going into the H7S should be weaker, as it goes an extra hop. i.e LNB -> Motor -> STB (H7S)

the other LNB port connection is straight through - LNB -> STB (Edision)

Edision breaking up at reported 60% signal, H7S solid, at 38% signal.

abu baniaz
15-01-20, 18:11
Those values mean nothing as they are a free for all based on drivers and some receivers have theirs massaged/corrected. Someone was dealing with it, he said there was a mixup somewhere in E2.

It is the viewability that matters.

It wasn't a controlled test. That is my reality as well as most other people. You are entitled to your reality, as is everyone else.

There are more important things in life. Thanks for sharing your observations.

manikm
15-01-20, 22:12
i agree, all i was doing was knowledge sharing my friend.