PDA

View Full Version : HDD replacement - is there a guide?

BenEadir
30-12-19, 11:17
Hi guys,

The HDD in my HD2400 is no longer working (box freezes every time I activate the PVR function) so I've purchased a Crucial 1TB 2.5 SSD which I'd like to install.

I don't have a user manual for the HD2400 and can't find one online so am hoping there's a "how to" guide here somewhere which can step me through the process.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Cheers,

Ben

cactikid
30-12-19, 11:47
Dont think there is much to fitting another matching one.

UNPLUG first.
On the kitchen top possibly screws need removing from top cover to remove it,ground yourself to allow static discharge and the box.
Locate hdd and see it cable connectors look the same and disc is of the same size.
No good trying to fit a 3.5 into a 2.5 as size matters.
Remove screws and cables and hdd,insert cables and screws on new hdd.
Put everything back together making sure cover is inserted under slots.

Finally all cables and box on go to storage and format and initilise it and ext 4 is ready for action.

Ps when done boil cable and have a cuppa as job well done

BenEadir
30-12-19, 12:13
Thanks cactikid,

I'll give it a go and see how I get on.

I thought the SSD may have to be formatted (to FAT32?) before installing but if that can be done via the storage menu that's great.

I'll be back with an update or plea for a rescue shortly!!

cactikid
30-12-19, 12:25
Cant remember with a hdd if formatted to fat 32 first,but possibly not as would not external cables to use.
when inside i would format and go from there.
3 sugars please.

BenEadir
30-12-19, 13:10
Cant remember with a hdd if formatted to fat 32 first,but possibly not as would not external cables to use.
when inside i would format and go from there.
3 sugars please.

Well that was surprisingly straightforward.

Disconnect and open the box, remove the old HDD, mount the new SSD, close the box, re-connect everything, in Storage click Initialize, wait a couple of minutes, start recording.

QED

Thanks cactikid, appreciate it.

Extra sugar in your tea today :-)

ccs
30-12-19, 13:14
How easy/difficult is it to fit an internal HDD in Mut@nt HD2400?...

https://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?45894-How-easy-difficult-is-it-to-fit-an-internal-HDD-in-Mut-nt-HD2400&p=356928&viewfull=1#post356928

BenEadir
30-12-19, 14:50
How easy/difficult is it to fit an internal HDD in Mut@nt HD2400?...

https://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?45894-How-easy-difficult-is-it-to-fit-an-internal-HDD-in-Mut-nt-HD2400&p=356928&viewfull=1#post356928

Despite not following these instructions I can confirm they are exactly what I did. Very straightforward.

cactikid
30-12-19, 15:12
Did you make sure its setup as ext 4?

Post 2 should have said boil kettle,Not cable:rolleyes:

abu baniaz
30-12-19, 15:13
I have stuck the other thread and reworded the title slightly.

abu baniaz
30-12-19, 15:15
Did you make sure its setup as ext 4?
When you initialize/format the HDD in receiver it uses the Linux file system. We use ext 4. You don't have a choice.

BenEadir
30-12-19, 16:22
When you initialize/format the HDD in receiver it uses the Linux file system. We use ext 4. You don't have a choice.

Yes, I didn't get to make any choice, new SSD -> Storage -> Confirm Initialize -> Initialize Complete.