PDA

View Full Version : Plugins no internet connection

BenEadir
10-12-19, 21:17
So, last night before I went to bed I tried one final time to flash the latest OpenVix to the box via the USB drive.

This time I removed the power cable, removed the Ethernet cable, popped the USB drive in one of the rear USB slots and re-inserted the power cable whilst holding in the up button. I kept the up button held for a minute or so but nothing happened other than the Mutant logo staying on the TV screen. I then repeated the process but this time started up pressing power button on front of the box for about a minute but yet again nothing happened other than the Mutant logo on the TV.

Annoyed yet again I turned off the TV and went to bed.

Today after getting home from work I turned on the TV and nearly fell over when I was presented with an OpenVix logo and what looked like a fresh install menu!! Not sure what happened I removed the USB, inserted the Ethernet cable and thus far I've managed to get internet working on the box per the screen image below.

It's nearly 4 years since I last set up this box so I've a lot of re-learning to do in terms of the 4 tuners, providers, EPG etc but for now I'm happy that the box at least appears to be live. Thanks guys for your help.

http://www.upl.co/uploads/IMG201912101745441576004521.jpg

ccs
10-12-19, 22:31
IP address set to 0.0.0.0, and date is Friday 22 November 2019. :confused:

twol
10-12-19, 22:36
No internet cable and so no Ip, but time clock?

BenEadir
11-12-19, 09:50
I ran the internet connection set up again and this time it has updated the date and time so I do think it's back working.

Next step is to figure out how to set up the tuners, providers, blended EPG etc. It's been nearly 4 years since I did it last (which was also my first time) so I've got a lot of re-learning to do.

If i recall correctly there used to be a way to flash an Irish set up with UK FTA and Saorview channels all on one 7 day EPG etc. I don't suppose you (or anyone else) can point me in the right direction?

ccs
11-12-19, 10:33
First step is to give details of which tuners you have and what they're connected to.

Then it's over to someone else to advise. :)

twol
11-12-19, 11:28
I ran the internet connection set up again and this time it has updated the date and time so I do think it's back working.

Next step is to figure out how to set up the tuners, providers, blended EPG etc. It's been nearly 4 years since I did it last (which was also my first time) so I've got a lot of re-learning to do.

If i recall correctly there used to be a way to flash an Irish set up with UK FTA and Saorview channels all on one 7 day EPG etc. I don't suppose you (or anyone else) can point me in the right direction?

Just out of curiosity can you type in Menu/Information/About and confirm which Image version is installed??

BenEadir
11-12-19, 21:35
First step is to give details of which tuners you have and what they're connected to.

Then it's over to someone else to advise. :)

Thanks CCS.

So the box is alive (HDD still corrupt/dead) but things are looking up.

The tuners I have are:-

http://www.upl.co/uploads/IMG201912111348291576094293.jpg

BenEadir
11-12-19, 21:38
Just out of curiosity can you type in Menu/Information/About and confirm which Image version is installed??

It's V5.3.011

http://www.upl.co/uploads/IMG201912111346071576093580.jpg

Its so long since I set up the box (almost 4 years) that I've completely forgotten what the process is but I'll do my homework and figure it out. I've 2 satellite receivers and 2 Saorview receivers which need to be set up and once they are and have been scanned etc I think the next step is to create a list of favourite channels from both satellite and Saorview feeds using AutoBouquetMaker and then get the 7 day EPG working. That's the basic plan but I'm sure it won't be as simple as that.

The good news is I now have the IP address of the box so OpenWebIf is working which should help.

The bad news is even in this new OpenVix image the PVR function immediately hangs when it tries to list the recordings on the HDD. I'm confident the HDD is either corrupt which a reformat might fix or is just knackered in which case I'll need to buy a replacement. If the latter any recommendations? Is it worth or even possible to use an SSD?

If I have to either reformat or remove the HDD is there a handy way to extract the stored content? Are the recordings going to be in a weird format which has to be converted before viewing? I'm thinking I could stick them on my NAS and watch via Plex.

Some other random questions:-

- What Primary and Secondary DNS should I use? The box currently uses a 192.168.X.X number. I'm familiar with 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 for the Google DNS
but I guess they may not be appropriate for a sat box?

- What providers (Freesat, Sky, Sky ROI & Saorview) should I stick with for UK FTA (BBC, ITV, C4, Sky News etc) and Saorview channels?

- Do I need to use DreamBoxEdit for the channel bouquet? (I have this listed from 4 years ago as a useful tool)

- What plugins to I need or should install to make life easy and the experience as good as possible?

- What skin do people recommend? I used to have a Sly (Sky) type skin but I don't think it's supported or available any more.

Apologies the windy post. Any bit of input would be much appreciated.

BenEadir
11-12-19, 21:49
Duplicated post :-(

abu baniaz
11-12-19, 21:52
Leave the IP address/network stuff at default values. There is a link on how to take screenshots in my signature if you need it. A lot better than pictures.

The golden rule of tuner configuration is: Tuner config must match what is hooked up to the tuners.
So if you have a signal wire from a satellite dish pointing at 28.2 hooked up to a tuner, you tell it simple, single, 28.2
If you have a signal wire from a Terrestrial aerial hooked up to the tuner, default of europe normally works for people. As RoI has lots of masts and repeaters, select your country and the mast you aerial points to.

You can use DreamboxEdit or any other editor Dreamset/E-Channelizer etc if you want to create/edit your bouquets. Don't edit ABM bouquets though.

abu baniaz
11-12-19, 21:54
You should also disable Overscan on your TV. Good thing you took a picture instead of screenshot.

The recordings are just .ts files. You can play them with most media players.

Joe_90
12-12-19, 17:06
No internet cable and so no Ip, but time clock?

When the box is offline it starts with the date and time of the build (fake hw-clock).

twol
12-12-19, 17:41
When the box is offline it starts with the date and time of the build (fake hw-clock).

Didn‘t know that - is that a “fiddle“ to stop crashes i.e. the code expects a date/time??

Joe_90
12-12-19, 18:52
Yep - I think so. I had (and still have) issues with the log dates on my HD51 (uses WiFi) which @birdman spent a lot of time helping me to troubleshoot after the code changes last year to support fake hw-clock. Anyway, that's for a separate topic!

BenEadir
22-12-19, 16:03
I've an Asus RT-N66U which is dual band. It's a few years old now but was pretty top spec when I got it and I keep the firmware etc up to date so will make a list of the IP addresses then unplug the Ethernet cable from the HD2400 and see which IP address disappears from the router. I guess that would be one step in the right direction and I could then push on with either FTP or Putty with a bit more confidence.

I won't raise the white flag just yet!!

So I managed to breathe life back into the box and set up the tuners which are working fine including EPG etc. The HDD still isn't working and hangs anytime I try to use the PVR function so I've ordered a replacement SSD and will install that after it arrives, that might require a new thread!!

In the meantime the main issue I have which I now have some time to return to (my new Xmas project) and would appreciate some more assistance with is that although the box is connected to my router via Ethernet, passes all stages of the network test and I'm able to use OpenWebIf (for the screenshots below) I'm still not able to download plugins and get an error message that the box doesn't have an internet connection.

I've err'd on the side of caution below and blacked out any IP/Mac address info I thought might be compromising but if that info is needed in order to get me connected to the internet I'll share it.

The following are self explanatory.

http://www.upl.co/uploads/Box-Info1577026701.jpg

http://www.upl.co/uploads/Adapter-Settings1577026728.jpg

http://www.upl.co/uploads/Network-Test1577026754.jpg

http://www.upl.co/uploads/No-Internet-Connection1577026771.jpg

The only thing which catches my eye (for no particular reason) is the last line of the first screenshot above where in Box Info it says that the IPv4 address is xxx.xxx.x.xxx/24 via xxx.xxx.x.x

Any suggestions as to what I need to do to get the box online?

cactikid
22-12-19, 18:16
I just rechecked my et network and differs slightly as mine shows as Lan adaptor--Lan connection green tick and wonder what way yours is.
My boxes are all hard wired.

I also see your Secondary DNS is all 00 as both my primary and secondary have settings.

abu baniaz
22-12-19, 20:08
Vix plugin server and Vix download server are two different places. We used to check internet connectivity with one of those. As they weren't as reliable as Google DNS server, we now check internet connectivity by seeing if you can reach Google DNS server.

Try temporary bypassing the extra network settings in your router until you have set up your receiver.

BenEadir
24-12-19, 11:05
I just rechecked my et network and differs slightly as mine shows as Lan adaptor--Lan connection green tick and wonder what way yours is.
My boxes are all hard wired.

Mine is hardwired also if by hardwired you mean Ethernet cable to the router?

I also see your Secondary DNS is all 00 as both my primary and secondary have settings.

I think that looks weird all right. I'm tempted to manually set the DNS to Googles settings i.e. 8.8.8.8 for the primary and 8.8.4.4 for the secondary.

Good / bad idea? I don't see how it can do any harm.

BenEadir
24-12-19, 11:10
Vix plugin server and Vix download server are two different places. We used to check internet connectivity with one of those. As they weren't as reliable as Google DNS server, we now check internet connectivity by seeing if you can reach Google DNS server.

How is the DNS defined when there's a fresh install like I have? I've ended up with a DNS which isn't a Google DNS as far as I can tell. Should I manually set DNS to 8.8.8.8. and secondary to 8.8.4.4 and see if that does the trick?

Try temporary bypassing the extra network settings in your router until you have set up your receiver.

Networking is a real weakness of mine. Would you mind elaborating on what I should do to bypass the extra network settings? What should I be disabling?

cactikid
24-12-19, 11:45
Any time i reflash a new image i setup from scratch and run the network wizard to link to network which gives me an ip and other settings.

Wondering if your router is locking you out with something like child lock?
Can you say who provides your router as others might know of a way to override it.

BenEadir
24-12-19, 11:55
Any time i reflash a new image i setup from scratch and run the network wizard to link to network which gives me an ip and other settings.

Thanks cactikid, I might re-run the network wizard and see if that solves the problem.

Wondering if your router is locking you out with something like child lock?
Can you say who provides your router as others might know of a way to override it.

My Router is an Asus RT-N66U and there are no child lock type settings activated.

Looks like getting this box internet connected and set up with a new SSD is going to be my Christmas project!!

Happy Christmas to you and everyone here who has been so helpful to date.

cactikid
24-12-19, 12:03
Might not doing any harm but to try powering off the router and box for a few minutes then router on and then box on,lan port should be flashing to show a connection after you run the network test and network wizard.

Hope it works happy Xmas to you and everybody else.

BenEadir
26-12-19, 15:10
Might not doing any harm but to try powering off the router and box for a few minutes then router on and then box on,lan port should be flashing to show a connection after you run the network test and network wizard.

Hope it works happy Xmas to you and everybody else.

Hi cactikid, tried that this morning and no joy I'm afraid.

It's really odd.

It passes the Vix Network test with flying colours but when I try to download plugins I get an error message saying there's no internet connection. I can see it connected to my Asus RT-N66U router, I can see the HD2400 on my home network via File Explorer and can see the folders etc on the HD2400 HDD plus I can access the HD2400 via OpenWebif.

I'm stumped as to what I can try next.

Is it worth throwing this internet connection issue into a new thread here on the HD2400 forum or on a more appropriate networking/Vix settings type forum?

twol
26-12-19, 16:15
Can you post your current network settings - blanking them out is not really helpful and posting them is not going to expose you

cactikid
26-12-19, 16:35
Just done a screenshot of my vu zero just to show its settings.59577.

Trying to remember issues when boxes had no mac ids?

BenEadir
26-12-19, 16:41
Can you post your current network settings - blanking them out is not really helpful and posting them is not going to expose you

Hi twol,

I wasn't sure about posting them so err'd on the side of caution but understand it's hard for people to help me unless you can see the detail.

Here goes!

http://www.upl.co/uploads/Adapter-Settings1577374583.jpg

Would a screenshot of the Nameserver Settings or Network MAC settings help?

ccs
26-12-19, 17:49
Well here are my network settings FWIW, I always assumed I'd defaulted everything and changed nothing.....

abu baniaz
26-12-19, 17:49
Threads should be issue specific and titled appropriate to the problem. Helps other people searching for similar problem

Please see these threads
https://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?58058-quot-Your-Miraclebox-Premium-Twin-has-no-internet-access-quot-after-upgrade-to-5-0-029

https://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?59709-Internet-Connection-Problem

abu baniaz
26-12-19, 18:06
This is the commit
https://github.com/OpenViX/enigma2/commit/f8a8ab7e123b86bad284ac20baeb37d8a46413ef#diff-e998064439255c1af40dde2df109aa39

This is the change history of the file
https://github.com/OpenViX/enigma2/commits/master/lib/python/Components/OnlineUpdateCheck.py

twol
26-12-19, 18:16
Hi twol,

I wasn't sure about posting them so err'd on the side of caution but understand it's hard for people to help me unless you can see the detail.

Here goes!

http://www.upl.co/uploads/Adapter-Settings1577374583.jpg

Would a screenshot of the Nameserver Settings or Network MAC settings help?

That looks fine to me - so thats probably blown my network knowledge

BenEadir
26-12-19, 18:22
Threads should be issue specific and titled appropriate to the problem. Helps other people searching for similar problem

Please see these threads
https://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?58058-quot-Your-Miraclebox-Premium-Twin-has-no-internet-access-quot-after-upgrade-to-5-0-029

https://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?59709-Internet-Connection-Problem

Thanks Abu Baniaz, I read both of those threads and because I don't know much about networking/routers/firewalls etc and am just a regular user my understanding from the threads is that the LAN connections are actually fine and the boxes are in fact connected to the internet but due to how the box/Vix checks for internet access (via Googles 8.8.8.8 DNS?) if that check is not successful the Vix Firmware behaves as though an internet connection doesn't exist and prevents the box from connecting to the internet to download plugins or to update firmware etc.

Am I close to correct?

BenEadir
26-12-19, 18:23
This is the commit
https://github.com/OpenViX/enigma2/commit/f8a8ab7e123b86bad284ac20baeb37d8a46413ef#diff-e998064439255c1af40dde2df109aa39

This is the change history of the file
https://github.com/OpenViX/enigma2/commits/master/lib/python/Components/OnlineUpdateCheck.py

That info means zero to me I'm afraid :-(

BenEadir
26-12-19, 18:26
That looks fine to me - so thats probably blown my network knowledge

The only thing which (intuitively) looks potentially incorrect is that the Gateway and Primary DNS addresses are both the same i.e. 192.168.1.1. Could that be causing some sort of loop and/or preventing the Vix firmware from doing it's internet connection test?

bellejt
26-12-19, 18:39
same settings here and no problem.The DNS is set to the modem /router so that one should be doing the translation.

abu baniaz
26-12-19, 18:44
Thanks Abu Baniaz, I read both of those threads and because I don't know much about networking/routers/firewalls etc and am just a regular user my understanding from the threads is that the LAN connections are actually fine and the boxes are in fact connected to the internet but due to how the box/Vix checks for internet access (via Googles 8.8.8.8 DNS?) if that check is not successful the Vix Firmware behaves as though an internet connection doesn't exist and prevents the box from connecting to the internet to download plugins or to update firmware etc.

Am I close to correct?

Spot on actually.

Can you do the ping test on the box please?

On the box do a ping to 8.8.8.8

BenEadir
26-12-19, 19:07
Spot on actually.

Can you do the ping test on the box please?

Apologies but how do I do that? I can't find a ping test option in the network, system or utility menu's :confused:

bellejt
26-12-19, 19:21
maybe try to set second dns to 8.8.8.8 .Then accessing with pings to internet will bypass your modem/router

BenEadir
26-12-19, 19:27
maybe try to set second dns to 8.8.8.8 .Then accessing with pings to internet will bypass your modem/router

I did try various ways to manually set the DNS via the network wizard and via any manual settings I could see but couldn't find any way to do it. :(

cactikid
26-12-19, 20:10
Might need to be tackled a different way.

https://www.wikihow.com/Ping-an-IP-Address

abu baniaz
26-12-19, 22:26
Use Putty and after you are logged in type
ping 8.8.8.8

There is a guide to issuing commands in my signature.

BenEadir
27-12-19, 20:11
Use Putty and after you are logged in type
ping 8.8.8.8

There is a guide to issuing commands in my signature.

Thanks for your patients Abu, I appreciate it.

So I downloaded Putty and launched it using the box IP address of 192.168.1.130. I then pinged 8.8.8.8 but it failed with the error message in the screenshot below.

http://www.upl.co/uploads/20191227-11577473550.png

abu baniaz
27-12-19, 20:21
OK, thanks. Did you actually connect to the box and log on? It doesn't seem like it.

My one is as below: (Ignore that it says OpenPLI)

openpli develop gbue4k

gbue4k login: root
root@gbue4k:~# ping 8.8.8.8
PING 8.8.8.8 (8.8.8.8): 56 data bytes
64 bytes from 8.8.8.8: seq=0 ttl=54 time=23.325 ms
64 bytes from 8.8.8.8: seq=1 ttl=54 time=15.299 ms
64 bytes from 8.8.8.8: seq=2 ttl=54 time=12.060 ms
64 bytes from 8.8.8.8: seq=3 ttl=54 time=11.730 ms
64 bytes from 8.8.8.8: seq=4 ttl=54 time=13.904 ms
64 bytes from 8.8.8.8: seq=5 ttl=54 time=13.446 ms
64 bytes from 8.8.8.8: seq=6 ttl=54 time=13.353 ms
64 bytes from 8.8.8.8: seq=7 ttl=54 time=13.260 ms
64 bytes from 8.8.8.8: seq=8 ttl=54 time=15.058 ms
64 bytes from 8.8.8.8: seq=9 ttl=54 time=13.450 ms
64 bytes from 8.8.8.8: seq=10 ttl=54 time=11.614 ms
64 bytes from 8.8.8.8: seq=11 ttl=54 time=21.889 ms
^C
--- 8.8.8.8 ping statistics ---
12 packets transmitted, 12 packets received, 0% packet loss
round-trip min/avg/max = 11.614/14.865/23.325 ms
root@gbue4k:~#

twol
27-12-19, 20:22
What happens if you bring up the command prompt on your windows pc and type ping 8.8.8.8

dsayers
27-12-19, 20:39
I don't think you've ticked telnet in putty

BenEadir
27-12-19, 20:54
What happens if you bring up the command prompt on your windows pc and type ping 8.8.8.8

I get "request timed out"

BenEadir
27-12-19, 20:55
I don't think you've ticked telnet in putty

That's exactly what I did.

BenEadir
27-12-19, 20:56
OK, thanks. Did you actually connect to the box and log on? It doesn't seem like it.

Yes, launched Putty, entered the IP address, ticked Telnet and clicked Open.

abu baniaz
27-12-19, 21:02
Sorry to ask again, were you prompted for a user name to log into box?

bellejt
27-12-19, 21:03
timed out means no internet connection

BenEadir
27-12-19, 21:17
Sorry to ask again, were you prompted for a user name to log into box?

No, entered the IP address, ticked Telnet, clicked Open and up popped the emulator type window.

BenEadir
27-12-19, 21:36
OK, spotted something odd.

When I posted the network settings screenshot yesterday the IP address for the box is stated as being 192.168.1.130.

I just checked my router and the IP address of the box is now 192.168.1.131 which opens OpenWebif when I enter it into a browser but interestingly when I enter 192.168.1.131 into Putty and launch Telnet I get

"Welcome to OpenViX for mutant2400
openvix 5.3 mutant2400

mutant2400 login:"

This is the current network settings for the box

http://www.upl.co/uploads/Adapter-Settings-21577479582.jpg

abu baniaz
27-12-19, 21:41
Please ignore this post.

twol
27-12-19, 21:51
If he also times out on pinging 8.8.8.8 (post #45) on his PC, then surely its the router setup???? .... not the receiver.

BenEadir
27-12-19, 21:58
If he also times out on pinging 8.8.8.8 (post #45) on his PC, then surely its the router setup???? .... not the receiver.

I'm inclined to agree with you yet there are dozens of devices (phones, laptops, media boxes, IOT devices, printers etc) all connected to the router via WAN or LAN (only 5 via LAN) and all other devices including the one I'm typing on have fast (200mb) internet connections despite not being able to ping 8.8.8.8 from either Telnet or PowerShell :confused:

This is what I get when I try to ping 8.8.8.8 from the router's own Ping facility

http://www.upl.co/uploads/118174ping1577480683.png

abu baniaz
27-12-19, 22:04
Maybe we need to adjust the connectivity checks. He is not the first and sadly wont be the last one to experience this.

twol
27-12-19, 22:18
I'm inclined to agree with you yet there are dozens of devices (phones, laptops, media boxes, IOT devices, printers etc) all connected to the router via WAN or LAN (only 5 via LAN) and all other devices including the one I'm typing on have fast (200mb) internet connections despite not being able to ping 8.8.8.8 from either Telnet or PowerShell :confused:

This is what I get when I try to ping 8.8.8.8 from the router's own Ping facility

http://www.upl.co/uploads/118174ping1577480683.png
what do you see if you hit diagnose?? ............ignore I guess thats how you send teh ping?

BenEadir
27-12-19, 22:27
............ignore I guess thats how you send teh ping?

Yep.

Interestingly the "Target" box where I manually entered 8.8.8.8 has a drop down list of domains to ping including www.google.com which if selected instead of 8.8.8.8 returns a successful result, no packet loss etc

--- www.google.com ping statistics ---
5 packets transmitted, 5 packets received, 0% packet loss
round-trip min/avg/max = 9.601/20.413/44.372 ms

Also, when I ping www.google.com via Powershell it too is successful.

I can't try via Putty as it's asking me for a login to the box and I don't have one that I recall setting. I tried the usual admin / admin but that didn't work.

ronand
27-12-19, 23:43
The username is root and there should be no password unless you set one. However your issue most likely is your ISP blocking access to 8.8.8.8 which is used as a check for connectivity.

BenEadir
28-12-19, 00:55
The username is root and there should be no password unless you set one. However your issue most likely is your ISP blocking access to 8.8.8.8 which is used as a check for connectivity.

Thanks ronand, I logged into Telnet via Putty using root as the username (no password was asked for) and pinged 8.8.8.8

This was the only response I got.

http://www.upl.co/uploads/Root-21577490902.png

^^COMPASS^^
28-12-19, 11:20
Seen as you clearly have access to world of satellite forum, please log into relnet via putty using root as username, issue the following command...

ping world-of-satellite.com

BenEadir
28-12-19, 11:31
Seen as you clearly have access to world of satellite forum, please log into relnet via putty using root as username, issue the following command...

ping world-of-satellite.com

Hi Compass,

Thanks for your input.

I ping'd WOS from Telnet and this is a screen grab of what started happening

http://www.upl.co/uploads/ping-31577528990.jpg

The result lines kept building until I ended the session by closing the Telnet window.

cactikid
28-12-19, 12:08
Might be a silly question but would it be worth a shot to try box at a mates house for checking if you get network connection there and if so box works.

bellejt
28-12-19, 12:16
seems rather a problem off the provider or your router is blocking pings on ip address.Strange because ping translation on name is working and then you pass the DNS server.

ccs
28-12-19, 12:23
Google suggests that some ISP's block ping altogether - PlusNet for example.

May have changed since the comments were made.

ronand
28-12-19, 12:24
The box is fine - its a problem with the ISP. However bringing it to a friends house who has a different ISP will allow access to the feeds to download plugins.

bbbuk
28-12-19, 12:27
I admit I scanned through this thread so forgive me if this has been mentioned but I noticed from previous screenshots you were using 192.168.0.x / 24 subnet and also I noticed 192.168.1.x IP also being referred to. These are two different subnets you're referring to which for a typical home networking setup isn't normal.

Do you have any other network equipment that would change the subnet from 192.168.0.x to 192.168.1.x ?

I would say go back to basics and directly connect ethernet cable from router directly into back of box and re-run network setup and please don't try messing with DNS entries (defaults are more than fine).

The IP of your router whether that be 192.168.0.x or 192.168.1.x should match what your box has except the last octet (eg .x in my example). So if your router is on 192.168.0.1 then your box, when connected directly to it, should pickup an IP in the range 192.168.0.2 to 192.168.0.254

cactikid
28-12-19, 12:35
He did notice his ip had changed when webif did not work,network test all green and hard wired to router.
Possibly rebooting box ip might have changed as mine does every so often and webif does not work.

BenEadir
28-12-19, 14:43
The box is fine - its a problem with the ISP.

I tend to agree with you except the problem isn't really with the ISP. Setting 8.8.8.8 as a universal check for internet connectivity isn't in fact a check of internet connectivity, it's just a check that 8.8.8.8 is ping'able.

Not being able to ping 8.8.8.8 does not mean the box isn't connected to the internet.

My box is in fact connected to the internet but because (for whatever reason) I cannot ping 8.8.8.8 the plugin download/firmware update processes won't start and I get a false error saying I'm not connected to the internet.

However bringing it to a friends house who has a different ISP will allow access to the feeds to download plugins.

Not really an option I'm afraid.

twol
28-12-19, 15:11
Can you clarify the question on post #66 ref using 192.168.0.x and 192.168.1.x ??

BenEadir
28-12-19, 16:02
Can you clarify the question on post #66 ref using 192.168.0.x and 192.168.1.x ??

Yes, it's a very interesting and detailed response which I'll do my best to understand and respond to correctly.

I'll revert ASAP.

ccs
28-12-19, 16:07
Not being able to ping 8.8.8.8 does not mean the box isn't connected to the internet.

This is what abu confirmed in post #55.

bellejt
28-12-19, 16:07
that network setting was from someone else

BenEadir
28-12-19, 16:10

Hi Twol,

Forgive the newbie question but is it ok for me to post screenshots of my router set up including IP & MAC addresses etc??

I'm a bit paranoid about posting info which could be used by people with nefarious intentions but happy to do so here as you guys have been super helpful to me with this challenge.

twol
28-12-19, 16:23
Only thing i am aware of that may be tricky are login details (e.g. to your internet supplier), your actual IP address (not the 192.168.x.x addresses), Mac addresses and Wifi login details.... I am sure if there is anything else people will jump in.

BenEadir
28-12-19, 16:41
I admit I scanned through this thread so forgive me if this has been mentioned but I noticed from previous screenshots you were using 192.168.0.x / 24 subnet and also I noticed 192.168.1.x IP also being referred to. These are two different subnets you're referring to which for a typical home networking setup isn't normal.

Do you have any other network equipment that would change the subnet from 192.168.0.x to 192.168.1.x ?

Hi bbbuk,

Thanks for your insightful response.

I'm in a bit over my (networking) head here but I'll try to answer as best I can.

My home setup is that I have a small business fibre broadband package in my home supplied by Virgin Media (Ireland) as I have a home office.

I have a note from when it was set up several years ago that the Virgin modem is used as a bridge to my ASUS RT-N66U Router and I have 5 static IP addresses supplied by Virgin one of which is used by the ASUS WAN internet connection setting.

Could this explain the unusual setup and dual subnets?

I would say go back to basics and directly connect ethernet cable from router directly into back of box and re-run network setup and please don't try messing with DNS entries (defaults are more than fine).

The HD2400 is connected directly to the ASUS Router, should it be connected to the Virgin modem instead?

The IP of your router whether that be 192.168.0.x or 192.168.1.x should match what your box has except the last octet (eg .x in my example). So if your router is on 192.168.0.1 then your box, when connected directly to it, should pickup an IP in the range 192.168.0.2 to 192.168.0.254

Router IP address is 192.168.1.1, HD2400 IP address is 192.168.1.131 so that is correct?

Here are what I think are the relevant screenshots from the router LAN setup:-

http://www.upl.co/uploads/Asus-11577546310.png

http://www.upl.co/uploads/Asus-21577546316.png

Should the DNS be set here to 8.8.8.8? What about the WINS Server?

http://www.upl.co/uploads/Asus-31577546321.png

http://www.upl.co/uploads/Asus-41577546325.png

http://www.upl.co/uploads/Asus-51577546329.png

Would turning on "Port Triggering" in the WAN settings, which is supposed to temporarily open a port for the LAN seeking internet access, be a useful thing to do?

twol
28-12-19, 17:04
Thats a lot to digest!
I would be tempted to just run the receiver into the modem on one of the spare modem Lan ports and see if that works, whilst some more clued up people do the digestion!

bbbuk
28-12-19, 17:16
Thanks for your post with those screenshots.

I don't have Virgin box but from what I understand, using the virgin box in modem mode only (ie not a router) would normally leave an IP of something like 192.168.100.1 on the LAN side (someone please correct me if this is incorrect). I would remove the routing via Google DNS (it can be added back later once we try and get to the bottom of issues).

The WAN (Wide Area Network) side of your Asus Router should be set as DHCP so that it can pickup a special IP that Virgin use when in modem mode as you are.

The LAN side of your Asus router is set to use 192.168.1.2 to .254 IP range.

I assume your laptop or other device is working fine when connected to ASUS router wifi (or it's ethernet ports)?

Could you explain how you did manage to switch subnets as indicated because if your virgin modem/router is in modem mode then normally only one subnet would be in use (as used by Asus router).

UPDATE: Unless your virgin router isn't running in modem mode as such hence why two different subnets in use

Willo3092
28-12-19, 18:33
I'm on VM broadband and using their router in modem mode and also using an Asus RT-N66U.
I notice from your screenshots that there is no internet connection? i.e, no green symbol on the top right of the router page.

BenEadir
28-12-19, 19:08
I'm on VM broadband and using their router in modem mode and also using an Asus RT-N66U.
I notice from your screenshots that there is no internet connection? i.e, no green symbol on the top right of the router page.

You're spot on there Willo3092, and it's emphasized by this screenshot also :confused:

http://www.upl.co/uploads/Asus-61577556447.png

So how are so many devices successfully connected to the internet via the router if the router isn't connected to the internet???

BenEadir
28-12-19, 20:02
Thanks for your post with those screenshots.

I don't have Virgin box but from what I understand, using the virgin box in modem mode only (ie not a router) would normally leave an IP of something like 192.168.100.1 on the LAN side (someone please correct me if this is incorrect). I would remove the routing via Google DNS (it can be added back later once we try and get to the bottom of issues).

And BINGO!! :thumbsup: :fart2: :p

Removing the routing Via Google DNS restored the internet connection.

And as soon as I tested the Plugin Download on the HD2400 it passed the internet check and is offering me a list of plugins to download.

http://www.upl.co/uploads/Plugin-Info1577559351.jpg

Now part two of my box restoration from near death project can begin........... a combined DVB-C/T2 and DVB-S bouquet, 7n day EPG etc and finally part 3 which will be replacing the dead HDD with the 1TB SSD I got a good deal on.

Thanks all for the amazing help untangling this little mess and identifying the problem.

I'll be back for more help no doubt ref the rest of my setting up but for now I'll sign off and hope this thread serves as some sort of resource for others in the future who may have Google routing set on their router.

Sicilian
29-12-19, 10:51
I've removed the screenshot showing your WAN IP.

BenEadir
29-12-19, 18:24
I've removed the screenshot showing your WAN IP.

Thanks Sicilian, I appreciate your diligence.

bbbuk
30-12-19, 12:25
Although I would leave it as it's working, but if did still want to use Google DNS then see:

https://setuprouter.com/router/asus/rt-n66u/dns.htm

Your router only supports primary DNS (no secondary) so just put in 8.8.8.8 under "DNS Server" and reboot.

You were putting in Google DNS in wrong section of router.