PDA

View Full Version : [GiGaBlue UHD QUAD 4K] Problem initialing Hard Drive

KuchKuch
16-12-19, 09:03
I'm trying to setup my Giga Blue satellite receiver and get the following error message whenever I try to initialise the hard drive:
Error Writing inode tables: 0/14905 done
Mkfs ext4: input/output error while writing out and closing file system.

Any suggestions on how to resolve?

Andy_Hazza
16-12-19, 11:47
You are best initialising the disk straight after the FIW on a fresh install of image (with no restores).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KuchKuch
16-12-19, 13:58
I'm not trying to do a restore.

Shall I just do factory reset and try again?

Andy_Hazza
16-12-19, 14:13
Not a factory reset no. Use Image Manager to download the latest image and the flash that, also using Image Manager. Once you’ve completed the FIW and you are presented with the Menu, proceed to Storage and Initialise your HDD.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Joe_90
16-12-19, 15:17
Looks like a hardware issue to me. Have you used this HDD before or did it come pre-installed in the box ?

KuchKuch
17-12-19, 00:25
I haven't used the HDD before. Bought it last week from Scan

KuchKuch
17-12-19, 01:00
Just tried Image manager and have no luck. It says " Device None available; Press Menu to select storage device". I can't seem to select Downloads or Flash either.

ronand
17-12-19, 09:28
You cant use image manager if you don't have a correctly mounted storage device attached. If you cant initialise a new hard drive send it back.

twol
17-12-19, 09:58
I haven't used the HDD before. Bought it last week from Scan

As Ronand has mentioned, its probably not initialised - so use the Windows storage services or in linux gparted to initilise the disk.

Joe_90
17-12-19, 12:46
Is the drive spinning up when you power up the receiver? Making clicking noises? Apart from a faulty power or data cable connection to the drive, I would assume it's "dead on arrival" and return it as faulty. Have you used a HDD in the receiver before? You need to isolate whether it's the box or the drive with the problem.

KuchKuch
17-12-19, 22:29
As Ronand has mentioned, its probably not initialised - so use the Windows storage services or in linux gparted to initilise the disk.

Will give this a shot - What's the best file system to format to for use on OpenVix? Fat32?

KuchKuch
17-12-19, 22:31
Is the drive spinning up when you power up the receiver? Making clicking noises? Apart from a faulty power or data cable connection to the drive, I would assume it's "dead on arrival" and return it as faulty. Have you used a HDD in the receiver before? You need to isolate whether it's the box or the drive with the problem.

I'm gonna connect the HDD to my PC, which will hopefully tell me if it is DOA or not.

KuchKuch
18-12-19, 23:07
I can't find my HDD docking station or screwdrivers, so I don't know how to test the HDD at the moment.

I did find that on Mount Manager the Size, Mount and Type of my HDD is listed as None or Unavailable.

Should that mean anything?

dubrov
18-12-19, 23:33
I had a problem with a HDD today getting stuck at 51 percent when initialising.
I think it was previously formatted to NTFS.

I used a Windows application called MiniTool Partition Wizard to format it to EXT4 and the problem went away.
I'd give that a go before sending it back

dubrov
18-12-19, 23:34
Also, you can download Vix to a USB key to flash a new image

KuchKuch
19-12-19, 00:16
Not sure what I did, but the HDD now works. I somehow managed to get it initialized and can see it in Mount Manager with its full storage capacity and everything.

Thanks to everyone for their help.

Joe_90
19-12-19, 12:44
Hitting it with the virtual hammer sometimes works -:lol3:

Glad to see it's now working!

KuchKuch
25-12-19, 14:13
Well I thought this issue had been resolved, but I had to move my box and now I can't see the hard drive at all.

Been trying to reboot at least 10 times. In some instances I would see Storage in the setup menu, but in the majority of cases it's not there. Even when it is there I can't see the storage amount or initialize the hard drive.

Worryingly when I have been trying to reboot on some instances the box is stuck on the Gigablue splash screen and I have had to switch off from the mains.

I need to check the hard drive, but I am wondering if I should raise the issue with WoS, which is where I got my box from just under 2 weeks back in case the box is faulty.

Joe_90
25-12-19, 14:50
I think you need to check the drive in a PC or in an external caddy to eliminate whether the disk or the GB box is faulty. Do you have any other disk you could install into the GB box?

KuchKuch
25-12-19, 15:24
I think you need to check the drive in a PC or in an external caddy to eliminate whether the disk or the GB box is faulty. Do you have any other disk you could install into the GB box?

Got another hard drive from scan yesterday. It is a 3.5 inch, but I'm hoping I can still use it to test it. Will do that tomorrow and report back.

KuchKuch
25-12-19, 21:19
Got another hard drive from scan yesterday. It is a 3.5 inch, but I'm hoping I can still use it to test it. Will do that tomorrow and report back.

Replaced the hard drive and have rebooted the box 3 times and as of yet I haven't seen "Storage" appear in the Setup menu.

twol
25-12-19, 21:37
Sounds like its not connected correctly - whats in var/log/dmesg ?

KuchKuch
25-12-19, 22:04
Sounds like its not connected correctly - whats in var/log/dmesg ?

See the attached.

twol
25-12-19, 22:37
As far as I can see there is no disk recognised - is it actually formatted? Attach it to your PC and see what windows or linux says.

cactikid
26-12-19, 01:50
I would presume when new disc was added it was formatted on box ,initialized and ext4 ready?

birdman
26-12-19, 03:59
As far as I can see there is no disk recognised - is it actually formatted? It wouldn't need to be to show up. If the system couldn't see a raw disk you'd never be able to get any file-system onto it.
Have you tried a different SATA cable?

KuchKuch
26-12-19, 18:14
It wouldn't need to be to show up. If the system couldn't see a raw disk you'd never be able to get any file-system onto it.
Have you tried a different SATA cable?

I replaced the SATA cables and the SATA Power cables (If that is what they called) and then switch to the old hard drive that occasionally used to show up and now everything appears to be running more smoothly and as expected. I've rebooted the box 6-7 times and every times once OpenViX is booted I can see "Storage" in the Setup menu. So it all looks good now, touch wood.

Hopefully I won't be adding to this thread in a few days time.

Thanks again everyone.

Joe_90
28-12-19, 13:39
Sounds like you have an intermittent connection issue with either the SATA power or data cable. This may be because of a dodgy cable or the connection on the motherboard. If you keep the replacement cables you now have and try the 3.5" disk and it works also, then dispose of the old cables in a recycling facility. If the 2'5" disk has further intermittent problems, then the issue may be with the motherboard and you should flag the problem to W-O-S directly. @birdman is right in that the box should recognise any standard SATA disk, whether formatted or not and then give you the option to format/initialise it.