PDA

View Full Version : Sound but no pic (get menus fine)

Ojustaboo
03-12-19, 20:27
Hi all

Moved my Quad back to the living room while waiting for Sky to be installed.

Powered it up, all was fine, I moved it, got all the menus, boot screens etc, get channel sound but no pic.

Opened it up to see if anything was loose, nothing appeared to be.

Booted it up, still didn't work.

Powered it off, then powered it on a bit later to try flashing it, it booted fine before flashing and pic worked

Moved everything around in my entertainment stand, and I'm back with sound but no pic.

I've tried 3 different HDMI ports/cables on my TV

Any ideas? Was going to leave this box set up and simply bung all my vids from my PC on it.

Looks like it has other ideas.

I've opened it, resealed all cables, nothing appears odd.

Thanks

twol
03-12-19, 21:11
Menu/setup/Audio & Video/settings AC3 downmix?????? Downmix or passthrough?

Ojustaboo
03-12-19, 22:27
Will have a look and get back.

Oddly, pic in pipc displays fine, just not the big pic

Ojustaboo
03-12-19, 22:46
This is weird.

Was going to attach a pic of what it's set at (have also tried all combinations of downmix etc for all options)

However, doing a screenshot from openwebif, shows the channel in the background proper;y, whereas, as you can see from the pic I took with my ipad, the TV doesn't.

Same goes for PiP, on TV just see PiP, on Openwebif, looks like it's the main TV

adm
04-12-19, 00:39
This is weird.

Was going to attach a pic of what it's set at (have also tried all combinations of downmix etc for all options)

The downmix etc. is only for audio that you indicate there is no problem.

Have you tried decreasing the video rate to 1080i or even 720i?
HD UK TV is 1080i and NOT 1080p.
For 1080p you may need a better HDMI cable (not necessarily a more expensive one)
Over the years as the resolution and bit rates have increased the HDMI specification has added different "versions" of cable to support these faster bit rates

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDMI#Versions

If you are using a lesser cable (one of the earlier versions) then it may not support the bit rates that you are attempting to push out from the box. It may just be intermittant at high bit rates..
The latest spec of cable shouldn't cost any more than a fiver.

Try also having the TV switched on before switching on your box.

Ojustaboo
04-12-19, 09:14
Think it must be hardware.

Tried all 4 hdmi cables and ports on Tv (including hdmi I used for my 4K box).

Tried every vid resolution, having TV on etc

birdman
04-12-19, 12:29
My Xtrend et8000 has a similar issue.

From time to time it will start up with no picture. Usually putting it into standby, waiting a few seconds and taking it out of standby restores the picture (which at least means recordings continue OK).

My suspicion is that it's something to do with HDMI-CEC, as trying to use ARC for the sound doesn't work properly with this system connected along with an MBTwin (so I now use an optical cable instead).

Ojustaboo
04-12-19, 14:17
I've worked out it's my HDMI4 port on my TV.

Full rebooting between each HDMI port and the others work with it, this one doesn't (tired swapping cables).

When I initially tried swapping ports, I didn't do a full reboot each time (doh)

HDMI4 works with all my other equipment, so I'm happy

Thanks

ronand
04-12-19, 14:41
You shouldn't be pulling HDMI cables with the power on anyway - you are bound to damage a port so be careful in future.

birdman
04-12-19, 19:08
You shouldn't be pulling HDMI cables with the power on anyway - you are bound to damage a port so be careful in future.According to the HDMI spec, it's hot-pluggable.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDMIR/h column. Note the definition of Pin19.

ronand
04-12-19, 19:29
It is indeed in the spec and I have done it by accident a few times but there have been numerous cases of equipment damage. On this forum alone it is common enough and it usually involves equipment not working after being moved for redecorating etc. so I think its best to err on the side of caution. Not all manufacturers may provide adequate ESD protection on the boards.

twol
04-12-19, 20:38
When we had a lightning strike around here (hit house opposite) it was the hdmi connections I lost on 3 devices - the rest of the kit was OK - very sensitive.

Sicilian
04-12-19, 22:15
According to the HDMI spec, it's hot-pluggable.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDMIR/h column. Note the definition of Pin19.

I've seen HDMI ports fail hot plugging them. I've even seen ports short with pin damage doing this.