PDA

View Full Version : Sky Q plus Unicable plus Legacy

dubrov
30-11-19, 23:28
Hi all,

I was doing a new build and looking at the possibility of using Unicable for my TV distribution.
All TV points will have network and 2xCoaxial feeds wired back to a central point.
I also already have a couple of FreeSat TVs that are not Unicable compatible.

I was looking at Unicable LNBs with legacy ports like this one (https://www.world-of-satellite.co.uk/gt-sat-gt-s3dcss24-unicable-lnb-3-legacy?filter_name=unicable) which is probably the way I will go.

However, I understand this LNB is not compatible with Sky Q.
It seems it is also possible that a Quattro LNB could feed a Unicable Multiswitch that would also have Sky Q and Legacy outputs.

I was looking at this Unicable switch (https://inverto.tv/multiswitch/309/unicable-ii-cascadable-switch-with-terrestrial-input-and-8x-sky-dscr-satcr-legacy-terrestrial-outputs) from Inverto that offers "8x Sky dSCR / SatCR / Legacy + Terrestrial Outputs".

It is clear to me that this switch is compatible with Sky Q and Legacy tuners. However, will it work with a standard Unicable STB (e.g. an FBC tuner on Vu+/Gigablue)?
The spec references 16 "Sky UK (dSCR)" and 16 "EN50494/EN50607" User Bands.

Thanks

Huevos
02-12-19, 19:28
As far as I know Sky Q box is compatible with Unicable. Check in the installer menu on the Sky box.

dubrov
02-12-19, 20:53
I don't have a Sky Q box to test with. A quick Google suggests that Sky have their own proprietary form of Unicable called Sky dSCR.
It seems to be very similar to the Unicable standard but has been tweaked just enough so that standard satellite boxes will not work with their LNB.

I had a look in the Vix Tuner configuration menu and can see ISKY-UST110-CUO4O-16P as an option so it must be compatible.
Reading the spec some more, it looks like there would be 16 Sky, 12 Unicable II and 4 Unicable I User Bands available (in addition to the legacy option) which will cover way more than I'll ever need.

I think I'll go down the Quattro LNB and Unicable switch route as it will give the most options and be easiest to maintain going forward.

twol
02-12-19, 21:40
I don't have a Sky Q box to test with. A quick Google suggests that Sky have their own proprietary form of Unicable called Sky dSCR.
It seems to be very similar to the Unicable standard but has been tweaked just enough so that standard satellite boxes will not work with their LNB.

I had a look in the Vix Tuner configuration menu and can see ISKY-UST110-CUO4O-16P as an option so it must be compatible.
Reading the spec some more, it looks like there would be 16 Sky, 12 Unicable II and 4 Unicable I User Bands available (in addition to the legacy option) which will cover way more than I'll ever need.

I think I'll go down the Quattro LNB and Unicable switch route as it will give the most options and be easiest to maintain going forward.
....... but the more expensive route (switches are expensive .... or at least mine were expensive!)

abu baniaz
02-12-19, 23:32
I have two of the Inverto switches. Doing a bit of work in the house so not able to test them on E2 receivers.

IDLU-UST110-CU010-32P
Item 5151

ISKY-UST110-CU040-16P
Item 5412

dubrov
03-12-19, 00:11
It's can be a good bit more expensive if you go for the top end switches new.
I picked up the Sky Inverto multiswitch on Ebay here (https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Unicable-II-Cascadable-Switch-With-Terrestrial-Input-8X-Sky-dSCR-SatCR-Legacy/223739521648?hash=item3417ea2a70:g:S6oAAOSwzttdxCk P).
Ebay have 5% off at the moment so 47.50GBP delivered.

I think this switch is closer to 200 new though but there are cheaper alternatives.