PDA

View Full Version : HD51HD Extremely low memory?

jazzyman
30-11-19, 17:45
Any idea on how to increase the memory of a Mutant HD51 HD running the latest Openvix?
I have the cacheflush plugin installed although it's not enabled, memory drops down to 1% remaining, cacheflush usually bring this back to 15% and a system reboot bring this back to around 20%. Anyone with the same problem? and is there a fix?

twol
30-11-19, 18:00
WHich ViX version are you running??
You should not need the cache plugin - something seriously wrong - which plugins are you using?
Deleting all languages bar current will free up some flash.... but should not really be necessary.
Where is the epg stored - were are picons? Do you use a HDD?????

Some information please

Trial
30-11-19, 18:24
Hi,
do you mean RAM or FLASH? For RAM it is more or less normal depends how much is used by cache and buffers. You see the different values in menu, info, memory.

Ralf

jazzyman
30-11-19, 19:31
WHich ViX version are you running??
You should not need the cache plugin - something seriously wrong - which plugins are you using?
Deleting all languages bar current will free up some flash.... but should not really be necessary.
Where is the epg stored - were are picons? Do you use a HDD?????

Some information please

Running OpenVix 5.3.010
I have attached the screenshots of the plugins.
Deleted the languages which have increased the memory to 22% (although I suspect this will drop again over time)
EPG is stored in /media/hdd
Picons - I cannot find a reference to this location through the menu?
Yes an internal hard drive is fitted.

twol
30-11-19, 19:52
The memory stats are on: Menu/Information/memory

Why do you need an alternative softcam mgr???

Sicilian
01-12-19, 07:16
Cacheflush isn't needed, IP Checker? Why? Use google. Picons, are they stored on Flash?

Linux gradually uses most ram available. How much spare flash do you have?

abu baniaz
01-12-19, 10:54
You are posting about two types of memory and it is not clear which is the one you have a problem with. You might not even have a problem. As per Trial's post, please clarify which memory you are referring to.

Internal flash memory:
This is where installed items are stored. The more you install the less internal flash you will have.

RAM (Random Access Memory):
Linux dynamically adjusts what it uses to make most of resources.

The cache flush plugin is only useful if you have a receiver with leaky RAM. It doesn't affect internal flash memory.

If you have downloaded 200MB of picons onto your internal flash memory or installed lots of plugins, you will have less free space to install things. So long as you have about 5MB free, you should be fine.

When you fill it up, some things like bouquets and timers won't save. You will get a bootloop with "no space on device" error.

jazzyman
05-12-19, 16:49
Looks like it's the RAM memory causing the problem?

When the receiver is rebooted the figures change to:

Could the problem be associated with iptv bouquets which update daily?

Joe_90
05-12-19, 16:54
Why do you think that you have a memory issue? Are there any other symptoms? Your first screenshot shows ~15MB of free RAM. linux tends to use as much RAM as possible when running and will dynamically handle management. Unless you are experiencing performance issues I would ignore.

Trial
05-12-19, 19:13
Hi,
you have around 150MB of almost free RAM because cache and buffer can be freed if necessary. Why do you use swap?

Ralf

jazzyman
05-12-19, 19:46
Why do you think that you have a memory issue?
I did have an issue with the vix spinner which was displaying randomly, although it's appears to be ok now since clearing the cache and re-booting.

Hi,
you have around 150MB of almost free RAM because cache and buffer can be freed if necessary. Why do you use swap?

Ralf

I am not sure what the "swap" figures signify? What causes these swap readings?

ccs
05-12-19, 19:56
…. because you've enabled "swap" for some reason. (VIX/SWAP manager)

jazzyman
05-12-19, 21:29
Just checked Vix/Swap Manager and swap is active. I have tried to deactivate using the green but it keeps reactivating? Any ideas why this is happening?

Andy_Hazza
06-12-19, 07:09
I would start a fresh with your box. Reflash with the very latest ViX image and on FIW, set the box up with no backup restores and then proceed to initialise (format) your Hard Drive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Joe_90
06-12-19, 13:16
Just checked Vix/Swap Manager and swap is active. I have tried to deactivate using the green but it keeps reactivating? Any ideas why this is happening?

Are you using Kodi on your machine? I recall that swap was being activated on my HD51 when I trialled Kodi. Don't use it any more.

twol
06-12-19, 14:16
Its setup as part of the partition setup automatically but maybe disabled if you switch bootmode (just forgotten! - a long while since i had the HD51)

jazzyman
07-12-19, 19:25
I would start a fresh with your box. Reflash with the very latest ViX image and on FIW, set the box up with no backup restores and then proceed to initialise (format) your Hard Drive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks. I don't really want to initialise the hard drive unless I have too because my recordings will be lost. Would it be safe to delete the hard drive 'backup' folders through ftp?

Are you using Kodi on your machine? I recall that swap was being activated on my HD51 when I trialled Kodi. Don't use it any more.

No Kodi not in use.

birdman
08-12-19, 03:04
Are you using Kodi on your machine? I recall that swap was being activated on my HD51 when I trialled Kodi. Don't use it any more.I have a swap file activated on both my MBTwin and XTrend et8000.
It doesn't cause any problems.
It will only ever be used if it is needed, which it isn't; but if it were I'd rather that it were there than have the system crash.

(Likewise I have swap enabled on my Linux laptop, desktop and servers. It isn't used there either...).

Joe_90
09-12-19, 16:37
@birdman - I think the OP was questioning why the swapfile was activated on his machine. I suggested that it might have been because of Kodi install (which requires swap space to switch between enigma and itself IIRC). I realise that it probably has no bearing on his apparently low RAM issue, but then I don't think he actually has a RAM issue. I have a 16GB swap area on my desktop linux install which has never been used :)

ronand
09-12-19, 17:18
I doubt there is a RAM issue either and the OP is not reporting any problem caused by low RAM. Linux will allocate memory even it is not actually using it (hence the low amount of "free ram"). A swap file wont do any harm but there is obviously a minor issue of why the 256Mb swap file is active.