PDA

View Full Version : how to flash without remote?

Ford1
11-10-19, 19:29
Many months ago I mothballed the edision os mini, and now need to resurrect it, currently on vix image OpenViX 4.2.030 (2017-02-06)

Now unfortunately, the remote is lost, is there a way to flash the receiver using only the hardware on the box?

Andy_Hazza
11-10-19, 20:01
You can use WebIf but you’ll need the box IP address to be able to access the Menu’s etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

adm
11-10-19, 23:37
You can use WebIf but you’ll need the box IP address to be able to access the Menu’s etc.

The router should be able to supply that IP address. The router will have a list of all IP addresses assigned to all the equipment on the home network and it may be a process of elimination by trying all the IP addresses in turn.
Just type the IP address in to the address bar of the PCs internet browser. When you get the correct one you will end up with the boxes' web interface (Webif)
Expand the image of the remote and you will have a fully working virtual remote to control the box.

The only gotcha is that the IP address may change on every reboot of your box unless the router is user configured to assign the same address to your box every time it connects.

On my router the assigned IP numbers are in LAN Setting section under the heading of Client List
I then have a separate list of "Address Reservation" which I created myself by copying the MAC address from the Client List and the IP number also from the Client list ( you can assign your ownIP address order using the IP Client list as a guide - my IPs are assiged 192.168.1.101, 192.168.1.102,192.168.1.103 etc. for each equipment on my network rather than some random final number .1XX that the router may assign if not told to reserve the same IP numbers for each of the equipments.}
All routers should have similar options but may be labelled differently

http://www.openvix.co.uk/index.php/guides-and-tutorials/receiver-usb-flashing-guides/edision-usb-flashing-guides/

Ford1
12-10-19, 00:39
does webif not start to late, the flash needs to be done via usb on initial boot, before the box has booted? that was my understanding, or can I flash once the box has booted?

adm
12-10-19, 02:01
does webif not start to late, the flash needs to be done via usb on initial boot, before the box has booted? that was my understanding, or can I flash once the box has booted?

Your assumption is probably correct.

What may work is an update using the image manager but you need someone else to confirm

Using the remote in Webif
menu → setup → VIX → backup manager → make a backup (of settings and plugins)
menu → setup → VIX → image manager → make a backup of the current image

menu → setup → VIX → image manager → press yellow to downlod (5.3.006)
Highlight the just downloaded file and press blue to flash

During the next couple of minutes the flash will take place and the box will reboot first displaying the OpenVIX splash screen and then with an option to restore the settings.

For me at this stage the webif remote was fully working and the OK button and the rest of the virtual remote could be used to select all options to restore settings and plugins

The gotcha here is that I was flashing from 5.3.004 to 5.3.006 and box automatically re-established my network connection – this may not be true when flashing from 4.x.xx to 5.3.006 and a real remote is required to select the network options to get it to work. Note that I have a wired Ethernet connection to my router rather than a wi-fi connection and the same IP address is always assigned to my box. If the network connection is not automatically established then webif cannot be obtained.

I’m not sure if a settings restore is possible between 4.x.xxx and 5.3.xxx and if not the network may have to be set up from scratch using a real remote. Can someone else confirm, either way, about a restore between the different versions.

birdman
12-10-19, 03:46
Now unfortunately, the remote is lost, is there a way to flash the receiver using only the hardware on the box?Assuming that you manage to get it updated - how are you going to use it without a remote?

So why not just buy a replacement remote and use that to do the update?

Andy_Hazza
12-10-19, 07:15
Can also use an e2 app too to control your box via your smart phone/tablet etc.

Ford1
12-10-19, 08:45
I have a android e2 remote for now, and will, once working, order a new remote. I will try the method as posted by adm and see if that works for now.

thanks for all the suggestions.

adm
12-10-19, 11:23
Can also use an e2 app too to control your box via your smart phone/tablet etc.

Will this have the same potential problems as with needing the Webif remote for flashing? Doesn't the E2 remote app work via an established wi-fi connection rather than a IR beam to the box?

birdman
13-10-19, 01:47
Will this have the same potential problems as with needing the Webif remote for flashing? Doesn't the E2 remote app work via an established wi-fi connection rather than a IR beam to the box?Yes. It uses the OpenWebIF API.

ronand
13-10-19, 09:52
Another thing to note is that you must use a hard wired ethernet connection (or homeplugs). If you use wifi to connect to the network the box cant connect until it restores the backup or you input the wifi settings and you need a remote to do that. I did this successfully with openwebif on an Uno a few years ago where the IR receiver had failed if memory serves me right.

abu baniaz
13-10-19, 09:57
Image Manager won't be able to download latest image owing to the URL change a few months ago. You will have to download image on PC and FTP it to /hdd/imagebackups/ You will then be able to flash it using Image Manager.

You should also be able flash it using Grog's script. I have posted the command in the Linux command thread (link in my signature)

Ford1
13-10-19, 18:59
Thanks for all the suggestions guys, ill give abu's suggestion a go later this evening.