PDA

View Full Version : Opticum Unicable LNB with Vu+ FBC tuners

Arcy
04-10-19, 12:56
I have an Opticum Red Robust Unicable LNB 2 SCR2 LNB (a type which seems quite widely available online) and I want it to feed one of the FBC tuners on a Vu+ Solo 4K running OpenVIX 5.3. The LNB is connected via a splitter (Dur-Line DFV SAT/BK Splitter); this also feeds an Inverto Multibox SAT>IP server, which is happily receiving the upper four SCR channels supplied by the LNB (these are the channels it defaults to).

Now I would like to receive the lower four SCR channels on the Vu+ box, but I can't get this to work. I've connected the antenna feed to the LNB2 input, intending to use Tuner B connected through to virtual tuners C, D and E (I've also tried Tuner A connected through to C, D, E). Unfortunately no Opticum LNB is listed in the menu of Unicable/JESS devices, and so I have configured it as a user-defined Unicable LNB operating on the lower four SCR channels. But the Vu+ box finds no signals at all on these channels, even while the Inverto Multibox is receiving normally.

I do have experience of Unicable (I've previously run this receiver for two or three years with a Spaun SUS 5581 Unicable device as part of a larger DiSEqC system). The cable connecting the receiver and the splitter is OK (it delivers LNB power from the receiver). The Vu+ receiver works normally on its other inputs.

What am I doing wrong?

twol
04-10-19, 14:00
I use this LNB for my 27.5W reception and a DUR-Line DCR 5-1-8-L4 (28.2E) plus Spaun SUS 5581/33 NFA (19.2E)

Attached is a file unicable.xml that contains the setup for the Opticum - so suggest for the moment you copy into /usr/share/enigma2 and reboot (you should really connect by Putty (Telnet) and issue an init 4 , then copy the file followed by an init 6 (spaces between the init and number)
Also attached are my tuner setups for the Opticum - obviously you might change the SCR channels.

If it works for you I probably need to issue a Pull to update the Unicable table values for the Opticum.

You might need to start with a fresh flash as I never find the tuner setup very forgiving, it remembers previous settings (and mistakes) - so I often need several reboots before it keeps the correct setup.

Arcy
04-10-19, 15:45
Thank you for that very swift reply, twol -- but unfortunately it's still not working for me, and I am wondering what elementary mistake I might have made.

I installed your modified unicable.xml file, and the Opticom entry then showed among the Unicable LNBs.

You were right -- it did take a reflash and some reboots to make my new settings stabilize, but the signal finder still finds nothing. You'll see my settings in these screen-grabs (I have tidied up my tuner usage to A, B, C and D while trying to get this working).
I've also tried setting the tuners to the other four SCRs (after first disconnecting the Inverto SAT>IP box) but it made no difference.

twol
04-10-19, 15:49
Thank you for that very swift reply, twol -- but unfortunately it's still not working for me, and I am wondering what elementary mistake I might have made.

I installed your modified unicable.xml file, and the Opticom entry then showed among the Unicable LNBs.

You were right -- it did take a reflash and some reboots to make my new settings stabilize, but the signal finder still finds nothing. You'll see my settings in these screen-grabs (I have tidied up my tuner usage to A, B, C and D while trying to get this working).
I've also tried setting the tuners to the other four SCRs (after first disconnecting the Inverto SAT>IP box) but it made no difference.
Remove the splitter and try going straight into the Solo4K use a simple connector if the cable is not long enough........ as an aside the Opticum LNB works pretty well for me, signal being better than the older "legacy" LNB I initially used.

I don't know how the external ports are marked on the Vu+ but I assume that you are connected to the external "A" port - with nothing on the external "B" port? (or 1 and 2 whatever they use))
If so I think you should be using tuners C, D, E connected to A with B disabled.

Arcy
04-10-19, 17:59
I've now removed the splitter and my LNB cable goes direct to the Vu+'s "LNB1 IN" connector (it is labelled so, in small print); nothing is connected to "LNB2 IN". In Tuner Setup, I've linked A to B, B to C, C to D... and so on, up to G to H; and I've assigned the User Bands to them in order from 1 to 8. On each page, I've left the LNB numbered as LNB1, since there is no other LNB1 on this receiver. This is the same configuration that I used successfully with the Spaun stacker.

I've also tried connecting all tuners B...H back to tuner A, which I've seen recommended for newer images on the Vu+ Solo 4K. And I've rebooted numerous times. But still no signals :-(

twol
04-10-19, 19:30
In tuner setup the additional tuners are all connected to the base tuner eg C,D,E connected only to A
In my setup on my main receiver A is on 28.2E and C,D,E are connected to A, B is connected to 27.%W and F,G,H are connected to B

twol
05-10-19, 15:52
What you could do is attach the FBC tuner to the legacy port on the LNB and treat as a straight simple connection ... and see what happens

Arcy
05-10-19, 18:29
Thank you, twol. I've now tried this, and I find that the 'legacy' outputs are working fine. I guessed they might, because my SAT>IP server happily receives the upper four User Bands while the Vu+ Solo 4K, connected either by itself or via the splitter, is seeing nothing at all.

Furthermore, I've since connected the same antenna cable into my GigaBlue UHD Quad 4K, changing the tuner type to Opticum and altering the user bands accordingly. It began receiving programmes as soon as I changed the settings of the individual tuners, without even waiting to be rebooted. To confirm that it was all working, I recorded from eight different transponders simultaneously.

But still nothing happens when I connect the same cable to the Solo 4K. I notice that the unicable.xml file contains nothing except a list of the User Bands for each receiver type, so there appear to be no special magic settings there. My Solo 4K certainly can handle Unicable on its FBC tuners, because it was doing exactly that until three weeks ago. The only difference I can see now is that the Opticum LNB employs a rather broader range of channels than my Spaun Unicable stacker.

So I wonder whether there could be something else in the Solo 4K that needs to be set.

twol
05-10-19, 19:06
There is nothing special in the Unicable.xml it just defines the LNB

If the Giga works, then it sounds like a Vu+ driver issue (really not uncommon - for the extra you pay for Vu+ you would expect better but- they constantly fail to deliver - you only have to look at the Vu+ driver updates (and corrections to an update) ( my view).

However, it could be a tuner hardware issue - so depends on who you bought the box from!

There is certainly nothing special about the Opticum LNB it just supports Unicable plus legacy like may others.

Arcy
05-10-19, 22:52
I bought the Vu+ box from, ahem, the board sponsor, but it was quite a while ago! I don't see that this can be a hardware problem in its FBC tuners, because they worked faultlessly with the Spaun Unicable device.

For me, I suppose one solution might be to try a Unicable 2 LNB, but that probably wouldn't be backward-compatible with my Inverto Multibox SAT>IP server. Another would be if the SAT>IP server promised in GigaBlue's product literature for the UHD Quad 4K were to materialize (in which case I wouldn't need three Multibox). But as far as I can make out, that hasn't happened yet.

Huevos
06-10-19, 15:15
B is connected to 27.%W and F,G,H are connected to BWhat is the point in that? All that stuff on 27.5W is on one transponder.

twol
06-10-19, 16:43
What is the point in that? All that stuff on 27.5W is on one transponder.

Well originally on the GB Quad4K ( my main box), I had the FBC tuners(A-> H) spread across 28.2E and 19.2E with 27.5W on the plugin tuner (same setup now as the GB UE4K) but I was continuously getting recordings on 27.5W with 0 bytes, so I just thought I would flip it just to see what happened & I don‘t get the 0 bytes issue now.
So it may not be the way to do it - but it works for me.

Huevos
06-10-19, 21:41
Well originally on the GB Quad4K ( my main box), I had the FBC tuners(A-> H) spread across 28.2E and 19.2E with 27.5W on the plugin tuner (same setup now as the GB UE4K) but I was continuously getting recordings on 27.5W with 0 bytes, so I just thought I would flip it just to see what happened & I don‘t get the 0 bytes issue now.
So it may not be the way to do it - but it works for me.There was a bug in Unicable simultaneous recordings. This caused zero length recordings. It is now fixed. Maybe that was the problem.

For 27.5W I can't see any good reason to use a Unicable LNB. Just a single should be good. And maybe just linked to a USB tuner.

abu baniaz
07-10-19, 04:32
What is the point in that? All that stuff on 27.5W is on one transponder.

I suppose it is because of the misconception that you need more than one tuner to record more than one service. Whereas one tuner allows multiple access to one transponder.

twol
07-10-19, 06:01
There was a bug in Unicable simultaneous recordings. This caused zero length recordings. It is now fixed. Maybe that was the problem.

For 27.5W I can't see any good reason to use a Unicable LNB. Just a single should be good. And maybe just linked to a USB tuner.

No this was after the bug (and it happened initially on a legacy LNB/tuner) - only tried this because it was (relatively) easy to try, it has worked and so left as is - it‘s totally illogical but don‘t have time to mess around with the main box as long as it works!

Arcy
12-10-19, 23:53
I think you must be right about the Vu+ drivers, twol. I've since tried my Vu+ Solo 4K with another Unicable LNB, a Maclean MCTV-785 DCSS with 16 user bands, and it refused to see this too. So I connected it to my GigaBlue receiver instead, and it worked immediately I began changing the tuner settings. My Inverto SAT>IP box is now running on four of the remaining eight user bands. And I've moved my Vu+ box back to the Spaun SUS 5581 Unicable switch. Thank you again for your advice.

Arcy
15-10-19, 16:08
As a postscript... I'd unwittingly overlooked the fact that a software update to the receiver overwrites the unicable.xml file. My receiver went berzerk and I found that all the FBC tuners had configured themselves for the LNB model which was next alphabetically in the list, and all to the same user band. So I've reinstated my modified unicable.xml and have removed the write permission for it; I hope this won't break something else.

In case anyone else wants them, my configuration settings for the Maclean MCTV-785 LNB (to go in the <lnb> section of unicable.xml) are as follows:
<manufacturer name="Maclean">
<product name="Unicable II MCTV-785" format="jess" scrs ="1210,1420,1680,2040,985,1050,1115,1275,1340,1485,1 550,1615,1745,1810,1875,1940"/>
</manufacturer>

abu baniaz
18-10-19, 16:14
The LNB has been added to the unicable list

wozles
24-10-19, 17:54
Thank you Arcy for posting this question and thanks to Abu and others who replied. I have been driven almost demented trying to get my Vu+ Uno 4K setup properly, mostly due to my own ignorance. For instance I had not appreciated my Unicable LNB only gave me 4 channels (my Vu+ has twin tuners). I had now intended to buy an 8 channel version (Opticum Red Robust Legacy Unicable 2 SCR 2, up to 8 subscribers via single cable solution - SCR frequencies: 970, 1030, 1090, 1150, 1210, 1420, 1680, 2040 MHz) but Arcy's bad experience with the lower frequencies has made me think again. Still looking.
I now have my tv working but can only set timers for 4 channels. Unicable LNB is connected to tuner A, legacy output to tuner B.
Just to add, I had to change the Tuner A Channel to User Band2, Frequency 01400 before I got a picture. Presumably the legacy lnb is using band 1.
I also found this interesting, from Abu:-
" I suppose it is because of the misconception that you need more than one tuner to record more than one service. Whereas one tuner allows multiple access to one transponder."
Does this mean that with my twin tuners and 6 'virtual' tuners, I could theoretically record dozens of channels if the transponders are favourable?
Thanks for reading this, you can plainly see I have need of further education. I find it all rather complicated, especially when the STB suddenly stops responding and has to be factory reset, starting the whole game over again.

abu baniaz
24-10-19, 18:23
Thank you Arcy for posting this question and thanks to Abu and others who replied. I have been driven almost demented trying to get my Vu+ Uno 4K setup properly, mostly due to my own ignorance. For instance I had not appreciated my Unicable LNB only gave me 4 channels (my Vu+ has twin tuners). I had now intended to buy an 8 channel version (Opticum Red Robust Legacy Unicable 2 SCR 2, up to 8 subscribers via single cable solution - SCR frequencies: 970, 1030, 1090, 1150, 1210, 1420, 1680, 2040 MHz) but Arcy's bad experience with the lower frequencies has made me think again. Still looking.
I now have my tv working but can only set timers for 4 channels. Unicable LNB is connected to tuner A, legacy output to tuner B.
Just to add, I had to change the Tuner A Channel to User Band2, Frequency 01400 before I got a picture. Presumably the legacy lnb is using band 1.
I also found this interesting, from Abu:-
" I suppose it is because of the misconception that you need more than one tuner to record more than one service. Whereas one tuner allows multiple access to one transponder."
Does this mean that with my twin tuners and 6 'virtual' tuners, I could theoretically record dozens of channels if the transponders are favourable?
Thanks for reading this, you can plainly see I have need of further education. I find it all rather complicated, especially when the STB suddenly stops responding and has to be factory reset, starting the whole game over again.

I am not a fan of people jumping in on threads because setups can be different. Anyway, we are where we are. Before you buy your LNB, compare prices. Personally, I would not buy an 8 SCR LNB unless it is very cheap. The 24 SCR ones would offer better value.

We have a bug in 5.3 007 and the connected option is not showing.

The tuner attached to the legacy port must be set as a regular LNB. Simple, single, satellite position

4 of the 7 remaining ones must have unique SCR assigned.

Please see these guide
https://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?59981-Guide-to-using-Unicable

https://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?60640-GT-Sat-GT-dLNB1DY-and-tuner-configuration

If you are encountering problems, create an image backup once everything is working correctly that can flash and restore everything to a working state.

wozles
24-10-19, 23:45
"I am not a fan of people jumping in on threads because setups can be different."

Apologies. It was just that Arcy's problems seemed very similar to mine.

Thanks for replying and for your advice. I am lookingfor a 24 or 32 version but having trouble finding one with2 legacy connectors. Also thanks for links to guides.

I do have the legacy connection set as simple, etc. I have the others set to FBC automatic, I'll change them.

I am finding blank pages when I go into some settings menus which reappear if I delete and re-install plug-ins.
I shall soldier on. I 'm not looking for further assistance on this thread, thanks, I shall start another if necessary.

abu baniaz
24-10-19, 23:58
The gtsat has legacy ports. Have a look at forum sponsor.

https://www.world-of-satellite.co.uk/gt-sat-gt-s3dcss24-unicable-lnb-3-legacy

BTW, why do you need them?

If 8 SCRs is sufficient for you, nothing wrong in buying it. Try setting up 4 SCR correctly before spending money though.

Use 5.3 006 if using FBC tuners. 5.3 008 will be out very soon.

wozles
25-10-19, 17:03
Thanks for responding again, Abu, sorry to continue on this thread but just to clarify.
I need legacy connectors for 'old style' receivers in other rooms, fed externally from my one fixed dish. I suppose I could split the unicable signal at the dish (I think) but that would be messy.

I'm using 5.3.7. I will use another, as the menu pages are often blank unless I reboot or sometimes factory reset.

Arcy said he had problems with frequencies below 1210 so I decided to avoid getting the same lnb as he had.
The LNB you suggested seems to fit the bill.

Finally, you imply I have not set up my existing 4 'channel' scr lnb correctly - LNB Teilnehmer Sat Unicable LNB SCR Opticum UNC2 Legancy Konverter. (as per auction site description)
I don't doubt you one little bit, I thought I now needed 8 frequencies to feed my 2 (x4) tuners. I'll have to read those guide pages again.
I'm finding it a bit complicated. I may have read TOO many articles and bamboozled myself.

abu baniaz
25-10-19, 17:42
You have 8 demodulators on the tuner of your receiver. Your LNB has 4 SCR and universal/ordinary ports

Set as follows:
Hardware:
Unicable output of LNB to Tuner A on Tuner card. (Top connection).

Legacy output of LNB to Tuner B of Tuner card. (Bottom connection).

Software:
I am presuming it is 28.2 you are using. Adapt as required. I am not listing the frequencies I'm using numbers, adapt as required.

Tuner B: Simple, single, 28.2

Tuner A: Advanced, Unicable , LNB, Manufacturer, model, SCR1
Tuner C: Advanced, Unicable, connected, connected to A, Manufacturer, model, SCR2
Tuner D: Advanced, Unicable, connected, connected to A, Manufacturer, model, SCR3
Tuner E: Advanced, Unicable, connected, connected to A, Manufacturer, model, SCR4
Tuner F: FBC Automatic
Tuner G: FBC Automatic
Tuner H: FBC Automatic

Please use 5.3 006 as the above options won't show in 5.3 007.

If the guide is not clear, please say which parts and I will adapt.

wozles
28-10-19, 13:54
Thanks Abu. There have been developments. After following your instructions, I discovered my lnb was faulty. No signal was being received on the SCR output. This may have been an intermittent fault since last weekend but is now permanent so isn't driving me potty anymore.
Also, thanks to something you mentioned before, which I had not appreciated (FBC and SCR being two different things), I was able to connect 2 cables from legacy connectors on the lnb and program the Uno4K accordingly ( 2 simple and 6 fcb auto) using image 5.3.6.
I can now record 8 programmes at the same time. This is all I want, I'm happy, I shall abandon SCR for the time being. (saves a few quid!)
Thank you very much for your time and input. Numpties like me must tax your patience.