PDA

View Full Version : Vu+ Duo red light

fintannl
08-02-11, 18:04
Hi,
Over the last couple of months I've had a couple of occurrences where the Vu+ simply has died for no particular reason. Now I reboot it at 4am every morning and auto standby it after that and every morning all is fine. Then when I get home later in the day I just see this red light with nothing on the display. I have to switch the box off and on again to get it working. I checked the hard disk for crash logs but there are none. Has anyone had a similar problem and does anyone have any idea how to get over this problem. Sorry I can't be more helpful in fault analysis

silverfox0786
08-02-11, 19:03
not heard of this on the duo but have seen this on a PC and on the PC it was the motherboard on the way out

if your under warrenty get it sent in to vuplus for analysis

pooface
08-02-11, 19:20
One other thing, the red light on the front is what happens when it's in deep standby isn't it? Are you sure it hasn't been put in to deep standby by a cron job or anything? Try putting the box in deep standby manually, and then see if it starts up pressing the power button on the remote when in deep standby...

Also, have you tried re-installing image from scratch (i.e. not restoring settings)...

fintannl
08-02-11, 19:43
thanks pooface. i'll test out what you say. i didn't even bother trying to power on using remote control so it could just simply be that it has gone into deep standby

fintannl
08-02-11, 21:59
also i installed vix 1.3 from scratch without copying settings. indeed the only cron job going is the 4am reboot. so would be interested what menu options that are available to put the box into a deep sleep. or maybe i pressed a button that did just this, but i'm darned if i know of a single button on the remote that can put the box in such a state

pooface
08-02-11, 22:40
also i installed vix 1.3 from scratch without copying settings. indeed the only cron job going is the 4am reboot. so would be interested what menu options that are available to put the box into a deep sleep. or maybe i pressed a button that did just this, but i'm darned if i know of a single button on the remote that can put the box in such a state

Maybe, in the settings menu (can't remember where, customise, maybe), you change the use of the power button to "Deep Sleep" rather than just standby...

Can you post to cron tab you have, and also the scripts it runs? Maybe in there you have something you don't think is putting it to deep sleep...

fintannl
09-02-11, 01:27
pooface. thanks for the help. in truth, while your understanding is great, the reality is that the box is doing something weird, and for the moment i cannot understand it. Is there some daft reason (on a totally irregular basis) that a box would go to deep standby without the user being able to figure it.

pooface
09-02-11, 10:09
pooface. thanks for the help. in truth, while your understanding is great, the reality is that the box is doing something weird, and for the moment i cannot understand it. Is there some daft reason (on a totally irregular basis) that a box would go to deep standby without the user being able to figure it.

No, which is why I asked you post the crontab and any scripts... Might well be that in your script or crontab, you issued a standby command incorrectly, and told it to deep sleep... Or, you did as I suggested, and told the box to use the standby button to do a deep sleep rather than standby... Or, someone has managed to gain access to your webif/telnet and are playing silly buggers?!

You say you're using auto standby to standby the box. When it goes in to standby, does it just go in to normal standby? Or is it going in to deep sleep then?

As I say at work (I work as IT Support), "90% of computer problems are user related". This means, that the user has set something to happen, run a program they don't know what it does, messed about with settings etc, and this is the cause of the problem... Hence, why I'm looking to see what could possibly cause the problem.

Final step to try, would be to remove all removeable devices (usb, hdd - (e)sata and usb), do a complete re-install again, not issue any of your cron jobs to the box, and not have it connected to the network (i.e. leave network cable out). If it still goes in to deep sleep, then there is likely to be a problem hardware wise. If it does not, then it's most likely a setting you've setup...

fintannl
09-02-11, 19:58
thanks for the comprehensive answer. i have searched cron jobs and i have only the one which is a system reboot every morning. after this it goes to autostandby (which is not deep standby). i checked all the menus and can find no reason why the system would go to deep standby. to be honest vix 1.3 works just great, its just this minor issue. I will leave system as stands and note when this issues occurs again. When it does I will identify if it is a deep standby issue by using remote control to power it on again. I will then note time and date and when it happens again I will log this also. So the resolution of this issue will take some time but I will get back to you when I have some data that might be useful in solving the problem

pooface
09-02-11, 20:45
thanks for the comprehensive answer. i have searched cron jobs and i have only the one which is a system reboot every morning. after this it goes to autostandby (which is not deep standby). i checked all the menus and can find no reason why the system would go to deep standby. to be honest vix 1.3 works just great, its just this minor issue. I will leave system as stands and note when this issues occurs again. When it does I will identify if it is a deep standby issue by using remote control to power it on again. I will then note time and date and when it happens again I will log this also. So the resolution of this issue will take some time but I will get back to you when I have some data that might be useful in solving the problem

With the release on ViX 2.0, might be a good time to try a reflash ;)

Don't forget, you can use Image Manager to backup your current image how it is, and then restore it later ;)

To check, go to Menu -> Setup -> System -> Customize and see what it says for "Action on short powerbutton press. This should be standby, but if it's "Immediate Shutdown", that could be your problem?

fintannl
09-02-11, 21:41
thanks pooface. maybe i've gone to sleep myself but didn't notice version 2.0 being available. i will update box as you suggest when this release is released

judge
09-02-11, 21:45
It was released just a few hours ago & I must say it is fantastic.
Tried loads of images over the last few weeks & must say this is the best. The button mappings & different EPG listings are top class.