PDA

View Full Version : reviews?

Archmage
21-08-19, 13:42
I'm looking to upgrade my TV to 4k so I thought it would be a good idea to upgrade my Golden media spark triplex too. It's been great but getting old now.

The GiGaBlue UHD Quad 4K looks like it might be a good buy, but despite it being out for a while I can't find any reviews or comparisons for it.

Can someone tell me what they think about it and how it compares with other receivers on the market? I'm really surprised that given the specs, people aren't writing about it!

My wife is only used to the Sly box, I want to get rid of it and just have the one device, is the interface user friendly?

I have a 1.1 Metre motorised dish, so that side is important too.

Thanks in advance

twol
21-08-19, 14:09
GiGaBlue UHD Quad 4K is (for me) solid as a rock, great picture and (like the Vu+ 4K receivers) has FBC tuners with a DVB-S2x plugin tuner. Depending on what you want to do, FBC tuners can be an advantage - you need to read up on them.
If you were to go for the Gigablue (German brand) then I would go for the UE model (cheaper - but still has the important features).
Like the Vu+ they use Broadcom Arm chips.

In recent times there has been a new range of usually cheaper receivers based around the HiSilicon Arm chips e.g. Octagon SF8008, Zgemma which although cheaper offer great price performance but use "standard" tuners.... but with DVB-S2x support which could be nice with your motorised dish.

All these receivers run E2, with images from OpenViX, OpenPli, OpenATV and others - once you pick up how they are setup, then its really quite easy to modify each image to support your requirements