PDA

View Full Version : Networking on blink after re-install

dnme
07-02-11, 21:52
I had to re-install my VU+ Duo today. Ever since, I notice that the connection led on my router for whatever RJ45 port I plug it into is red. I have tried changing the cable but it stays red. If I plug VU+ Duo cable into port 1, port1 led goes red etc etc

Router is setup as DHCP and VU+ Duo installs and set up network ok, and it does the software update etc. I do notice however that when I try to update CrossEPG, I get a service unavailable message.

Is there anything I can try? This is troubling me and a bit worrying.

EDIT: VU+ Duo is picking up am ip address and gateay from router. Network test runs all ok

ronaldbiggs
07-02-11, 23:00
Is your Duo also setup for DHCP or static IP ? if static then check that there is no clash of IP. Also try plugging another device in to your router to check the router itself. Have you checked internal settings of the router (settings can be found on the web usually 192.168.*.* dependant on what router you have)

dnme
07-02-11, 23:15
I have upgraded the firmware on my router. The router is fine. The led is not red but amber and according to the manual, this means that the link is 10Mbps only. Dam it.

ronaldbiggs
07-02-11, 23:21
Sounds like you have an issue with the router, maybe try and reflah the firmware. Even though the link is only 10 meg you should still get connectivity, have you got a laptop to plug in with ?

dnme
07-02-11, 23:24
Router is fine.
I have tried the following....

Upgrading all firmware on both VU+ duo and router.
Tried a different cat5 cable, Tried a Cat5e cable
Tried other devices into router on port that VU+ was plugged into
Tried plugging VU+ into different ports on router
Reset VU+ and router back to factory settings and tried a very basic install with no other devices on the network.

The VU+ lan port is failing. I notice glitches in its use also, such as when updating epg, I get message "service not available" etc.

pooface
07-02-11, 23:25
Router is fine.
I have tried the following....

Upgrading all firmware on both VU+ duo and router.
Tried a different cat5 cable, Tried a Cat5e cable
Tried other devices into router on port that VU+ was plugged into
Tried plugging VU+ into different ports on router
Reset VU+ and router back to factory settings and tried a very basic install with no other devices on the network.

The VU+ lan port is failing. I notice glitches in its use also, such as when updating epg, I get message "service not available" etc.

When pushing the cable into the receiver, is it pushed firmly as far as possible in to the receiver? I had problems with the lan on receiver, and it was because it hadn't been pshed as far in as possible...

dnme
07-02-11, 23:29
When pushing the cable into the receiver, is it pushed firmly as far as possible in to the receiver? I had problems with the lan on receiver, and it was because it hadn't been pshed as far in as possible...

yes, of course, checked both ends, also tried differnet cables

ronaldbiggs
07-02-11, 23:31
Is your duo configured with DHCP ? also check subnets and gateway, nameservers ect

dnme
07-02-11, 23:32
its taking its ip from router which is a DHCP server, it gets an ip and gateway perfectly. the issue is that it's 10Mbps only

dnme
07-02-11, 23:37
Yea, all network stuff is all of a sudden slow/sluggish, I reran the network wizard, it takes a few seconds now whereas before it was instant. Downloading CrossEPG is very slow and ends with an error message. FFS this is all I need.

EDIT: Another thing I notice is that a lot of the epg text is garbage. chopped strings, half words etc

dnme
08-02-11, 00:05
Folks, I think I am in real trouble here. I bought my VU+ off xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (I'm sorry to mention a competitor) about a month ago. Just tried to contact them and their website is gone! I gave them nearly 400 quid, I'm a bit worried now to say the least.

dfdream
08-02-11, 09:17
DNME

The website seems fine.

Back to the duo. Did you connect it to a different switch to see if the 10mb or the 100mb light comes on. Maybe there is an issue auto negotiating between the 2 devices.

pooface
08-02-11, 11:49
DNME

The website seems fine.

Back to the duo. Did you connect it to a different switch to see if the 10mb or the 100mb light comes on. Maybe there is an issue auto negotiating between the 2 devices.

Try as dfdream says... Also note, he means a different switch altogether, not the router/switch/modem you've been using...

As for the crossepg errros, that could quite simply have been an error on the parsing ... I've had it happen many a time...

dfdream
08-02-11, 12:07
DNME,

Are you using PLi, if yes there is a post on the Dutch PLi site where a guy looks to have had the same problem yesterday (well according to google translate anyway.)
Poster is togane. Dont think I can post link here but its in the first page of results.
I think hes saying that the bug was fixed in the one thats up there now...
Check both or try VIX to see if there is still an issue there.

dnme
08-02-11, 12:56
Guys,
Their website was down for a time last night. The website is back up but ropey. They provide no contact email address, only a webform that kept failing with errors on me until it seemed to work once (I think).

Back to the box, this is a physical error. I got a usb key and plugged it in under the lan port, while doing this I was rubbing off the cat5 cable. Ever since the port at router is amber, the network on the box is sluggish and there are errors with epg and service not available etc.

I have no other router to try, but up until yesterday, the box was fine, port green etc. It's not a firmware / software issue because I get an amber port at router the second I switch vuplus on.

pooface
08-02-11, 13:03
Guys,
Their website was down for a time last night. The website is back up but ropey. They provide no contact email address, only a webform that kept failing with errors on me until it seemed to work once (I think).

Back to the box, this is a physical error. I got a usb key and plugged it in under the lan port, while doing this I was rubbing off the cat5 cable. Ever since the port at router is amber, the network on the box is sluggish and there are errors with epg and service not available etc.

I have no other router to try, but up until yesterday, the box was fine, port green etc. It's not a firmware / software issue because I get an amber port at router the second I switch vuplus on.

So, this all came about by pushing the usb key in that was quite tight (i.e. you had to force it a little to fit in)?!

dfdream
08-02-11, 13:14
I too thought the usb ports in a bad place.
Its alright for a memory sitck (I use the one in the jpg.) but connecting usb tuner everything is a bit under pressure space wise.
I use the usb extension cables for better access and less things to break.
The other option is wifi but that wont give 100mb either.

Funny . . Im still not convinced its hardware... Id try VIX or latest PLi.

Nothing to loose.
BTW - did you see the the post in PLI - he seems to have the same issue.

From the beginning there was something wrong with network test, local network remains red with "broken", how I fix this?.

After for having the last version (OpenPLi-2.0-beta-vuduo-20110207_usb.zip) yesterday on put, this problem has been solved.

dnme
08-02-11, 13:18
I am using VIX 1.3 as always, also re-installed, factory reset etc. But as I said earlier, the amber led happens the second the vuplus is powered on, before it even gets a chance to boot.

Now I forgot to mention, I do have an old Linksys wrt54g router with DD-WRT on it. When I plug vuplus in, the port led is green. The router is a 10/100 as far as I know. Is there anyway to test port speed from router to vuplus?

pooface
08-02-11, 13:19
I too thought the usb ports in a bad place.
Its alright for a memory sitck (I use the one in the jpg.) but connecting usb tuner everything is a bit under pressure space wise.
I use the usb extension cables for better access and less things to break.
The other option is wifi but that wont give 100mb either.

Funny . . Im still not convinced its hardware... Id try VIX or latest PLi.

Nothing to loose.
BTW - did you see the the post in PLI - he seems to have the same issue.

From the beginning there was something wrong with network test, local network remains red with "broken", how I fix this?.

After for having the last version (OpenPLi-2.0-beta-vuduo-20110207_usb.zip) yesterday on put, this problem has been solved.

I thought he said he tried putting the vix image back on?! So assume he is using vix...

Yes, it can be tight. I have one memory stick that needs pushing in hard for it to work (hence, why I won't do it :p). Most usb sticks are fine, but for dvb-t and fat usb sticks, best off using a usb extension as you mentioned...

pooface
08-02-11, 13:21
I am using VIX 1.3 as always, also re-installed, factory reset etc. But as I said earlier, the amber led happens the second the vuplus is powered on, before it even gets a chance to boot.

Now I forgot to mention, I do have an old Linksys wrt54g router with DD-WRT on it. When I plug vuplus in, the port led is green. The router is a 10/100 as far as I know. Is there anyway to test port speed from router to vuplus?

If you log in to router, does it not give you the stats on ports?

Another option, is to transfer a file over to the vu duo hdd or usb. a large one (50-100mb or so). If you get upload speeds of 10mB/s, then you have a 100mb connection, if you only get around 1mB/s, then it's only connecting at 10mb...

dnme
08-02-11, 13:43
If you log in to router, does it not give you the stats on ports?

Another option, is to transfer a file over to the vu duo hdd or usb. a large one (50-100mb or so). If you get upload speeds of 10mB/s, then you have a 100mb connection, if you only get around 1mB/s, then it's only connecting at 10mb...6057

This is what I see from dd-wrt in a linksys wrt54g,

dnme
08-02-11, 13:49
Also just tried a file transfer to the vuplus, never gets above 850KB/s6058

pooface
08-02-11, 15:28
Also just tried a file transfer to the vuplus, never gets above 850KB/s6058

Do a transfer via ftp, much more reliable...

But, it it doesn't go above 850kb/s, then it seems like you are only connecting to it at 10mbit...

dnme
08-02-11, 15:50
The box is packaged and posting this afternoon. I have managed to get a reply email from them but communication is ropey at best. I wonder if they will cover the cost of my postage which will be a nice little chunk for registered.

pooface
08-02-11, 16:07
The box is packaged and posting this afternoon. I have managed to get a reply email from them but communication is ropey at best. I wonder if they will cover the cost of my postage which will be a nice little chunk for registered.

I doubt they'll cover your return postage. But, at least they've offered to sort out the situation for you...

Just make sure you can proove it was delivered to them, and received by them. Also, try to get some confirmation by the courier of what was included in the package, as you don't want them turning round saying you sent them a power supply back or anything like that. Never know, but since it's a different country, could be a bit dodgy...

Next time, play it safe and buy from sponser ;) hehe. They'll sort you out :D

dnme
08-02-11, 17:41
Ive been trying the online chat all day, not one response. I rang the number once and it rang out. Anyway I don't fancy being on hold or trying to communicate english/spanish at international call rates.

I finally received an email from them, they sent me a very dodgy looking address as in I could not interpret it...see the street bit ???

Company name: Minorelectronics S.L.
Street: C/ Alcalá de Xivert 114,1º-2ª
City: Benicarlo
Province: Castellón
ZIP: 12580
Spain

Anyway, I then found their shop on Ebay and thankfully they have their address printed properly on it. So the package is on its way back to spain and get this.......

Registered post with a max insurance of €150 (postal service limit)...cost me €56 quid. The words H, Christ and Jesus spring to mind. I have emailed them the track & trace and I have also noted the serial number.

If I could get a refund off them, I would shop here, seriously. I never even knew about this place UNTIL around the time I bought the box.