PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu 18.04 (or later) file manager replacement for Nautilus

twol
12-08-19, 13:34
I have just moved to Ubuntu 18.04 and hate the new Nautilus.
I hate the way Ubuntu have removed the file transfer box from Nautilus (since 17.04??) and was looking at Nemo as a replacement.

Basically I like to be able to see both what is happening during large data/directory transfers and have the option of cancel - this has been ripped out of Nautilus - so having googled looking at Nemo.

Anyone have any experiences?

Sicilian
12-08-19, 13:41
Sorry can't help, only ever used command line server versions.

BobbyC
12-08-19, 14:22
I like Dolphin, but it comes with the KDE desktop !! If you fancied a nice switch, kubuntu or KDE Neon, ubuntu spin, built by the KDE developers I believe

If sticking with gnome Nemo is good choice, comes on linux mint, never used outside of Mint myself

norhap
12-08-19, 17:22
I hate the way Ubuntu have removed the file transfer box from Nautilus (since 17.04??) and was looking at Nemo as a replacement.

Basically I like to be able to see both what is happening during large data/directory transfers and have the option of cancel - this has been ripped out of Nautilus - so having googled looking at Nemo.

Anyone have any experiences?

I don't have it installed on my ubuntu but ....
have you seen this?

http://ubuntuhandbook.org/index.php/2019/01/install-nautilus-actions-ubuntu-18-04/

twol
12-08-19, 17:48
I don't have it installed on my ubuntu but ....
have you seen this?

http://ubuntuhandbook.org/index.php/2019/01/install-nautilus-actions-ubuntu-18-04/
No I hadn‘t - many thanks for the post.
..... but have now installed Nemo - which is OK - think I need to sort out default icon sizes etc.
F3 is nice - dual windows.
Have to get into all the addin plugins and see what they do for Nemo - at least its progressive.

I like Ubuntu but so often on the next release they go for „fancy“ stuff rather than practicality - but just typical developers!

Trial
12-08-19, 18:17
Hi,
I am a commander fan und use Double Commander for ages.

Ralf

birdman
12-08-19, 18:23

Anyone have any experiences?I use Kubuntu (so KDE) and on the occasion when I use a GUI to transfer files (basically just when moving them to my 'phone) a transfer notification (with Cancel button) shows up in the System Tray.

twol
12-08-19, 18:58
I use Kubuntu (so KDE) and on the occasion when I use a GUI to transfer files (basically just when moving them to my 'phone) a transfer notification (with Cancel button) shows up in the System Tray.

That seems to be the crazy thing with Ubuntu and Nautilus - with 18.04 once it starts you cannot cancel

twol
12-08-19, 19:00
Hi,
I am a commander fan und use Double Commander for ages.

Ralf

Living (and having worked) in Germany, I fully understand that response - there are some apps/products that are just “standards“ !

birdman
12-08-19, 23:01
Living (and having worked) in Germany, I fully understand that response - there are some apps/products that are just “standards“ !Which for copying would be cp, scp and rsync.
Each abortable by ctl-C (or whatever your intr character is).

Trial
13-08-19, 07:53
Hi birdman,
when I started using the famous Norton Commander there was no Linux:-)

Ralf