PDA

View Full Version : Issue with audio over HDMI

DH88
17-07-19, 14:19
I have my 8500 receiver connected to Yamaha AV amp over HDMI which then forwards HDMI to the screen.

Whenever I turn everything on there is no sound, switching off and back on either the receiver or AV amp makes no difference. Tried in another HDMI port and a new cable and no difference.

The only thing I found to fix was to go into the audio settings and change AC3 from 'passthrough' to 'downmix' suddenly the audio comes back. Even if I exit the menu without saving the audio stays working fine until the receiver is switched off again.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Andy_Hazza
17-07-19, 14:39
Thats correct, set to downmix and save.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DH88
17-07-19, 14:55
What if I want to provide surround to my receiver?

Downmix will provide only 2ch :(

Andy_Hazza
17-07-19, 15:11
Could be a driver related issue as I have my SF8008 going through an Onkyo Amp and works without issues, so I’m veering more towards a driver related issue and if its with the Xtrend I wouldn’t think you would get any updates for that as it’s a different company etc now.

Andy_Hazza
17-07-19, 15:13
Have you tried HDMI from receiver straight to your your TV and tried an Optical cable and select AUX channel etc?

DH88
17-07-19, 15:16
Haven't tried that, TV is a projector and goes along a 10m HDMI cable to the other side of the room so would be tricky.

Don't have any issue with playstation, fire TV etc. It's not a huge problem just a little annoying, I'll see if I can find an optical cable and match it to the hdmi input

twol
17-07-19, 16:06
I always ran my old ET8500's through Onkyo amps and AC3 worked perfectly.
Try Andy's suggestion and if it works then you know the issue.
How many ports has the amp? - I would also try a different hdmi cable into the amp and a different amp input port if possible.

DH88
18-07-19, 17:45
I have tried another cable and another HDMI input with no difference :(

Amp has 7 HDMI inputs.

1 thing I notice is that if I turn the amp on first then the sat receiver after a few seconds then it works, turning the receiver on first followed by the amp then it has no audio

twol
18-07-19, 18:23
How old is the Yamaha?

DH88
18-07-19, 19:32
Not sure as I bought it 2nd hand I'd imagine about 5-6 years.

It's an RX-A810

ronand
19-07-19, 00:43
It possibly is HDMI-CEC issues. A sony bluray player caused me no end of problems with my onkyo amp until I got rid of it. All you need is one problem device in the system to screw the lot up. For the audio switching to work automatically you probably need to make sure HDMI-CEC is enabled on all devices.