PDA

View Full Version : Cannot get certain frequencies

Helvetica
16-07-19, 15:51
System VU+ duo GENUINE
OpenVix image.

Hi all
I have a 93-95% strong signal on Astra 2 at 28.2° E.
Some Freeview channels have just changed to different frequencies, so I have been trying to get them into my VU+.
The most important channels for us are Quest, Quest +, Quest Red and DMax all now on 12382H, 27500, 5/6.
But try as I might, using the "User Transponder" option and adding the above parameters, and also by using that frequency which is in my satellites.xml list, it says "scanning.... " then 0 channels found.
The frequency etc are correct, I checked on lyngsat and on kingofsat.
Can anyone think why I cannot get those channels in, with such a strong signal ?

Another odd thing is, when I click the centre button on the remote twice, it gives me information about the channel frequency, FEC etc. But the figures shown always differ from what they should be.
An example is Challenge +1:
Actual frequency is 11838 H 27500 5/6
Shown on VU+ in the info window as 14250 H 27500 5/6

Can anyone suggest any help with the Quest transponder ?

Andy_Hazza
16-07-19, 16:00
Have you tried scanning with ABM?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bellejt
16-07-19, 16:00
quest is on this freq ( 12382H, 27500, 5/6) from 2017 and did not change.Are you scanning in DVB-S QPSK (not S2) ?
I have the same problem about the shown frequentie.Is there already more then a year.When going to channel trough buttons "TV and red" it shows the right frequentie.Probably a bug in Vix from long time ago that is not fixed or mentioned to the team

Helvetica
16-07-19, 17:01
Have you tried scanning with ABM?

Andy, what is ABM ? Auto Bouquets Maker ?
I have never used that because a) I already have my bouquets set-up and sorted as I want them (took a day to get them to my liking and b) I have to be VERY careful - we have a 1.5m, 36V motorized, non-Disq powered dish (with Superjack II positioner), so I can't use things like USALS or anything that moves the dish itself otherwise it is likely to hit the chimney.
I usually do this:
Menu - Setup - Tuner config - Manual Scan
On that page I add the frequency, FEC etc. System: DVB-S, Network scan: no, Clear before scan: no, Only free: no.

bellejt
16-07-19, 17:05
use network scan yes.Then your satelites.XML is set up to date.Or transfer yourself latest satelites.xml

Helvetica
16-07-19, 18:12
quest is on this freq ( 12382H, 27500, 5/6) from 2017 and did not change.
Yes, but something has definitely changed.
I can see them (e.g. Quest, Quest +1, Quest red, Quest red+1 etc) in my bouquet with the current program after the names, but I am getting a "Tune Failed" message when I select them.

Are you scanning in DVB-S QPSK (not S2) ?
DVB-S

I am beginning to wonder whether it is caused by the apparently known problem with the C848 capacitor.

Helvetica
16-07-19, 18:16
use network scan yes.

Thanks. I just tried that but still getting "Scan Completed. 0 channels found".

bellejt
16-07-19, 18:20
I do not need to rescan because they have always been on this frequentie. Maybe update your satelites.xml and problem is solved.Or update image. Could be capacitor but then other channel scans would fale to.
PS: a transponder in DVB-s should be scanned in DVB-s and Not DVB-s2 .

Sicilian
16-07-19, 18:44
You sure you haven't got a failing LNB?

Do a manual single satellite scan and post how many services you find.

Helvetica
16-07-19, 23:24
You sure you haven't got a failing LNB?

I am going to try something else tomorrow - see what - if anything - I can download from another Horizontal channel. I tried 11344H and 11082 H this evening to try and get The Vault (11344 H) and Spotlight (11082H) and neither of them succeeded.
I don't think it's a failing LNB because the Horizontal channels that we already have still work fine. The last time we had a failing LNB we could only get either vertical or horizontal, but not both. At the moment we can watch V and H channels in our channel lists (except the ones like Quest which I am trying to restore).

It's just trying to add new H channels which appears to be the problem.

abu baniaz
17-07-19, 00:18
Some LNBs switch in one direction only. The best check is what Sicilian mentioned, a manual scan, select single satellite, do not enable network scan.

I would add one more step, remove 28.2 services, restart then perform a scan. This ensures you only have services that you found.

In live TV mode (i.e no menus showing)
Up button next to OK
Green Satellites
Select 28.2
Menu
Remove selected satellite

timofee
17-07-19, 14:45
System VU+ duo GENUINE
OpenVix image.

Another odd thing is, when I click the centre button on the remote twice, it gives me information about the channel frequency, FEC etc. But the figures shown always differ from what they should be.
An example is Challenge +1:
Actual frequency is 11838 H 27500 5/6
Shown on VU+ in the info window as 14250 H 27500 5/6

?

This is a well know situation with the Duo2 discussed many times in forums. If you press the up or down arrow when watching a channel, the correct transponder information is shown at the bottom left of the screen.

Helvetica
18-07-19, 13:11
Suggesting that I delete 28.2 is like suggesting that I delete Windows from my PC :p
I just moved the dish to 19 East (now that my husband has fixed a broken bolt on the dish and I can move it again) and there I can download V and H channels. The highest frequency I tried was 12604 H 22000 5/6 and that downloaded fine.
So I went to the satellites.xml maker page, entered my coordinates, selected the satellites I want, downloaded the zip file but then noticed the link for Enigma2 converter. It says there "Convert your Enigma2 settings for full compatibility with our satellites.xml. Settings file must be in .zip or .rar format."
Beneath that is "Settings file" [Browse]

Do I have to use this for the satellites.xml file which it just generated for me ? And, if I do, which settings file does it need ?

abu baniaz
18-07-19, 13:48
There is a difference between removing services from lamedb and then rescanning (what was advised) and deleting a satellite from satellites.xml. The way scanning works on Enigma2 means there is potential for some services to remain on receiver forever even though they do not work.

BTW, I suggested you delete cookies and temporary internet files, not uninstall windows.

Something for you to consider for updating xml file

https://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?59368-Satellites-Terrestrial-Cable-xml-updating

bellejt
18-07-19, 15:22
maybe consider a fresh flash then satelites.xml will be up to date.Or just ftp the file to your box.

Helvetica
18-07-19, 16:30
Abu: I downloaded the xmlupdate plugin.
It saved it to .../tuxbox...
I restarted the box, used xmlupdate but still can't get 12382 H.
I thought the satellites.xml had to be in the etc. folder.
Which folder is correct ?

bellejt
18-07-19, 17:21
in etc/tuxbox

Helvetica
18-07-19, 18:53
bellejt - you know you said that the Quest and DMax channels were "on this freq ( 12382H, 27500, 5/6) from 2017 and did not change." ?
I just downloaded our December 2017 settings to have a look at.
In December 2017, all Quests and DMax and DMax +1 were on three frequencies: 11390H, 11464 H and 11584 H.
In January 2019, DMax and DMax+1 were on 11038V.

I used FTP to upload the new satellites.xml. Made a back up of my old one and copied that new one to etc/enigma2.
Still the yellow bar : Scan complete. 0 channels found
So then I manually added that 12382 H etc. using the Edit satellites.xml in Dreambox edit. Restart, switch off, switch on. Still wouldn't find anything.
Moved the dish a bit and tried again, still nothing. It will download every transponder - higher and lower frequencies - except 12382 H.
So then I deleted the satellite.xml files in both etc/tuxbox and etc/enigma2 using my ftp prog and did another xml update/download. Still Scan complete 0 channels found on 12382 H.
What is wrong with 12382H - the settings I enter are all correct. I am at my wits end.

bellejt
18-07-19, 19:00
removed url to king off sat because probably not allowed

ccs
18-07-19, 19:01
Renaming, rather than deleting, a file allows you the quick and easy option of getting back to where you were by simply renaming it back again, if things don't go according to plan.

Andy_Hazza
18-07-19, 20:06
I would try my suggestion from Post #2 and see if ABM (AutoBouquetsMaker) pulls them in, if not sounds like a failing LNB to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Helvetica
18-07-19, 22:14
OK Andy, will try ABM tomorrow.

abu baniaz
19-07-19, 00:28
/etc/tuxbox is system version
/etc/enigma2 is a user version and takes priority. If there is one in there, best to delete it and then restart as you have a newer one in system location

I wouldn't use ABM if you are trying to diagnose/rule out a fault/issue. ABM "reads", it does not "scan" in the conventional sense. If for arguments sake, you had a faulty LNB that could only receive 11778, Vertical, 27500 on 28.2, an ABM "scan" will give you all the Sky channels on 28.2. Even though you can only receive one frequency.

Helvetica
20-07-19, 19:25
Abu, thanks very much for the information. I already tried deleting the xml in /etc/enigma and making it use the downloaded one which it saved to /tuxbox, but sadly it did not make any difference.
I will be getting a new lnb next week and will send my dear husband up onto the roof to fit it.
I haven't deleted and rescanned 28.2 yet. If I do that, I presume that all my current channels on 28.2 will also be deleted and would need to be re-downloaded and sorted again? However, seeing as my backup lamedb etc. (from January) which I copied over using dreamboxedit also does not download that 12382 H, that tells me that something has happened since January. So I think it can only be the LNB or the capacitor which is getting weak.

Huevos
20-07-19, 20:08
You are wasting your time. This transponder has moved to UK beam. How big is the dish?

twol
20-07-19, 21:27
You are wasting your time. This transponder has moved to UK beam. How big is the dish?
Maybe not .... it depends where they are in Switzerland and brave things - they have a motorised 1.5M dish on the roof (not something I would do with our winds - mine is on the garage, heavily bolted with slabs on top of the base)
If they were able to receive before (I cannot - UK spot beams North of Munich are temperamental) then it may be the LNB

abu baniaz
20-07-19, 23:02
Deleting services does not affect bouquets. You will just get the N/A for services that are no longer present.

If you are apprehensive oo doing so, just make a settings backup using backup manager. You can restore it after your test.

Helvetica
21-07-19, 13:48
Re the UK beam. Our dish is 1.5m. We are in NW Switzerland, about 25-30 km NW of Bern.
I just tried to download 10964 H which (according to Lyngsat) is also on the UK beam. All the channels downloaded with no problem. Same with 11082 H and 11344 V and 12129 V - no problem and excellent (93%) signal strength. Just the dreaded 12382 H refuses me..
I'll wait until the coming week when I can go and get the new LNB.

twol
21-07-19, 13:54
Re the UK beam. Our dish is 1.5m. We are in NW Switzerland, about 25-30 km NW of Bern.
I just tried to download 10964 H which (according to Lyngsat) is also on the UK beam. All the channels downloaded with no problem. Same with 11082 H and 11344 V and 12129 V - no problem and excellent (93%) signal strength. Just the dreaded 12382 H refuses me..
I'll wait until the coming week when I can go and get the new LNB.
Yes, UK spot beam should not be a big issue for you, even at Ulm, Germany you can use a 1 .0 metre dish and pick up everything and you are much further West.

Huevos
21-07-19, 22:17
I'll wait until the coming week when I can go and get the new LNB.10964 H, 11082 H and 11344 V are low band transponders. The first null on those transponders is about 200 km further south than the high band transponders. 12129 V is UK beam but error correction is 2/3. 12382 H is 5/6 error correction, so you would need to go up at least 2 dish sizes compared to a 2/3 transponder.

Helvetica
22-07-19, 01:45
Hi Huevos - with the 2/3 and 5/6 I presume you mean the FEC setting? That's odd, because
11426 V 27500 5/6
12148 H 27500 5/6
are on the UK beam, have the same SR and 5/6 FEC and they download with no problem. See what I mean about a puzzle ?

twol
22-07-19, 14:23
Hi Huevos - with the 2/3 and 5/6 I presume you mean the FEC setting? That's odd, because
11426 V 27500 5/6
12148 H 27500 5/6
are on the UK beam, have the same SR and 5/6 FEC and they download with no problem. See what I mean about a puzzle ?
These are on 2E which is much better situated than 2F/2G beams - I can pick up 11426V with no issue - the rest are either dead or die during the afternoon.

abu baniaz
22-07-19, 22:03
May I ask what "download" in this thread means?

ronand
22-07-19, 22:50
Even on the same beam transponders may have different strengths. Its also possible the dish is slightly out of alignment

Joe_90
23-07-19, 13:32
With a 1.5m dish the beamwidth is quite narrow, so it needs accurate pointing. I'm not sure how far apart 2E, 2F and 2G are in regard to orbital location, but I assume they are close. I recall when Eurobird was at 28.5 and the various Astra birds were at 28.2, I used to see quite a difference in SNR depending on which satellite I peaked when I had a 1.1m dish. This not be relevant nowadays if the Astra birds are co-located, but @ronand's suggestion is worth investigation.

twol
23-07-19, 13:41
The UK spot beams are different between the different satellites - so for me 2E is OK, 2F is perhaps OK around 10.00 -> 15.00, and 2G is not there!

Joe_90
23-07-19, 14:51
Good old Wikipedia says that 2G is located at the previous Eurobird location of 28.5. But that doesn't address the OP's issue which is with Quest on 2E:(

Helvetica
26-07-19, 01:06
May I ask what "download" in this thread means?

Sorry, I don't know what else to call it. With download, I mean get the channels into my VU+ by selecting the frequency etc then pressing "scan".

Helvetica
26-07-19, 01:17
Good old Wikipedia says that 2G is located at the previous Eurobird location of 28.5. But that doesn't address the OP's issue which is with Quest on 2E:(
Tony, that is very interesting. And I wonder whether it may be drifting a bit up and down. You see 3 weeks ago I could still get all the Quests despite the fact that the elevation angle of our dish had dropped downwards a tad during a storm in February. My husband corrected it (to 100% on other Astra channels) the day before I began this sorry saga. So it looks like that particular satellite is a tad "lower down" than the others.
However 0.3 of a degree is still a few numbers different on our Superjack positioner so I could set up 28.5 as a separate satellite and try that once the new LNB is here (the shop only had a strange tiny one with no box and no datasheet, so I have told them to order two Universals for me, one to use and one as a spare).

malcolmp
26-07-19, 22:31
Anyone having signal problems on Astra 28° transponders 11627 V 22000 5/6, and 11671 H 23000 2/3?

malcolmp
27-07-19, 00:31
Anyone having signal problems on Astra 28° transponders 11627 V 22000 5/6, and 11671 H 23000 2/3?

My mistake, should be 11627 V and 11641 H.

twol
27-07-19, 08:08
Tony, that is very interesting. And I wonder whether it may be drifting a bit up and down. You see 3 weeks ago I could still get all the Quests despite the fact that the elevation angle of our dish had dropped downwards a tad during a storm in February. My husband corrected it (to 100% on other Astra channels) the day before I began this sorry saga. So it looks like that particular satellite is a tad "lower down" than the others.
However 0.3 of a degree is still a few numbers different on our Superjack positioner so I could set up 28.5 as a separate satellite and try that once the new LNB is here (the shop only had a strange tiny one with no box and no datasheet, so I have told them to order two Universals for me, one to use and one as a spare).

You could be correct, these satellites do wander a little bit .. there is a site (forgotten which) where you can monitor the changes over the year

Helvetica
27-07-19, 17:27
We had a hell of a storm with hurricane strength winds yesterday evening, the dish was wobbling around 2-3 cm in the wind, but in the evening we still had a very strong signal, so we didn't changed anything.
However, without changing the position of the dish, and without the new LNB (which we don't have yet anyway) I just tried - for the umpteenth time and just for the hell of it - to see whether I could get 12382H.
And although the signal on that frequency is only 45-48% - I NOW HAVE MY DMAX AND QUEST CHANNELS BACK AGAIN !
I have no idea why. Maybe the satellite position has been corrected, maybe Zeus took pity on me and adjusted the dish during the storm he sent, who knows ? I am thrilled to bits.
I want to thank everyone for their suggestions and help since this saga began. I have copied all your useful replies into a text file, so I can consult it next time I have a similar problem which may indeed be caused by those in the suggestions.
Another donation is in the offing :thumbsup:

Joe_90
28-07-19, 12:25
@Helvetica - it is worth experimenting with your positioner to tweak the settings for Astra 2E, 2F and 2G. If Wikipedia is correct and 2G is actually located at 28.5 and the others located at 28.2 it may be better for you to make a specific setting for it and to also maximise the signals on 28.2 separately. Does your superjack positioner use USALS to calculate the dish pointing or is it pre-set using Diseqc on a separate controller from your actual receiver? I have no experience of using such a large dish/positioner - my biggest dish was 1.1m and was driven by a conventional H-H motor controlled by USALS from my receivers. With a big dish (relatively speaking) like yours, you need accurate positioning.