PDA

View Full Version : running VIX 1.3 and recording stutters, majorly.

stu_iow
07-02-11, 12:06
Ok, had thebox running for 6/7 days now, not had much time to use it, due to the misses watching it, but i am suprised how quickyl she took to it.

Anyway, i recorded top gear last night knowing i would miss the beginning.
I started to watch it at around 8:25 and there were vast and great stutters, and when i say stutters, i mean big segments missing.

When the recording started (which was on BBC HD), the box was not doing anything else, it was in standby.

Any ideas what was causing this.
Alignment of the satellite is very good, i won't be able to get up there to better it, it is an excellent quality signal and quality.

I have a Western Digital WD10EADS 1TB Caviar Green in there, runs at 7200rpm.

Please, suggestions.

Many thanks,
Stuart

delahzo
07-02-11, 12:16
Don't know if this has anything to do with your problem, I had Being Human set to record from 21:00-22:00 on BBC HD and went to view it, perfect picture but absolutely no sound.
Other recordings on other channels fine.
Same image and HDD as you.

pooface
07-02-11, 12:18
Ok, had thebox running for 6/7 days now, not had much time to use it, due to the misses watching it, but i am suprised how quickyl she took to it.

Anyway, i recorded top gear last night knowing i would miss the beginning.
I started to watch it at around 8:25 and there were vast and great stutters, and when i say stutters, i mean big segments missing.

When the recording started (which was on BBC HD), the box was not doing anything else, it was in standby.

Any ideas what was causing this.
Alignment of the satellite is very good, i won't be able to get up there to better it, it is an excellent quality signal and quality.

I have a Western Digital WD10EADS 1TB Caviar Green in there, runs at 7200rpm.

Please, suggestions.

Many thanks,
Stuart

Was the hdd initialised in the box? Menu -> Setup -> Settings -> HDD -> Initialise

Also, as far as I understand, some western digital hdd's have a jumper that needs to be set, as it tries to run at a newer technology than the vu can handle or summat like that...

pooface
07-02-11, 12:19
Don't know if this has anything to do with your problem, I had Being Human set to record from 21:00-22:00 on BBC HD and went to view it, perfect picture but absolutely no sound.
Other recordings on other channels fine.
Same image and HDD as you.

Have you got ac3 downmix enabled?! Might be that it's trying to output the dd audio, but if you're playing through the tv speakers, it won't handle it...

delahzo
07-02-11, 12:43
Never thought of that! I'll have a look when I get a chance later, thanks. I do use my TV speakers alright.

stu_iow
07-02-11, 13:21
Was the hdd initialised in the box? Menu -> Setup -> Settings -> HDD -> Initialise

Also, as far as I understand, some western digital hdd's have a jumper that needs to be set, as it tries to run at a newer technology than the vu can handle or summat like that...

Opened the box up and had a look at the drive.
There are a few jumper settings, none are active.
They are:-
Enable SSC (Spread Spectrum Clock)
Enable PUIS (Power up in stand by)
Enable 1.5GB PHY

I assume these should all be left disabled.

AS far as that, there isn't anything else there.

I am sure when i first setup the unit, i did everything it asked, 100% of this, i will however re-init the drive and start fresh, see what happens then.
There have been a few instanced of the VIX spinning logo appearing for a while, while we waited for a channel change or something, it isn't faultless, but guessing something not setup or a plugin zapping the power.

pooface
07-02-11, 14:09
Opened the box up and had a look at the drive.
There are a few jumper settings, none are active.
They are:-
Enable SSC (Spread Spectrum Clock)
Enable PUIS (Power up in stand by)
Enable 1.5GB PHY

I assume these should all be left disabled.

AS far as that, there isn't anything else there.

I am sure when i first setup the unit, i did everything it asked, 100% of this, i will however re-init the drive and start fresh, see what happens then.
There have been a few instanced of the VIX spinning logo appearing for a while, while we waited for a channel change or something, it isn't faultless, but guessing something not setup or a plugin zapping the power.

I think the one you need is the "Enable 1.5GB PHY", as that allows the box to run 1.5gb/s mode.

Just found this thread for you:

http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?800-Jumper-config-for-Western-Digital-advanced-format-drives-in-Vu-Duo